Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!
 

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 19, 2010 11:18PM

HATE TO BURST EVERYONES BUBBLES, BUT WHEN YOU BUY A BLENDER AND IT STATES THAT IS HAS 3HP or 3.5HP...

IT IS A LIE!!!!
AND I CAN PROVE IT!

First, I will briefly explain the power structure of an electric motor:

WATTS is the power coming INTO the motor (blender), what makes it run
HP (horsepower) is the actual speed/power of the motor (blender), how fast it works (blends)

Just some math to remember:
1. WATTS = Amps x Volts (household voltage in the USA is 120)
2. HP = WATTS x .00134

What does this mean you ask? This means that any of you who bought a blender that called itself a 3HP or 3.5HP blender got ripped off, and this is STANDARD INDUSTRY PRACTICE.

What they do NOT tell you is that the numbers they give you are very misleading. If they say the have a 3HP or 3.5HP motor, it is probably (99% of the time) true, BUT you will NEVER use it at that level because the WATTS and AMPS of the blender do not let you.

AMPS and WATTS act like a throttle, or like a break in a car. So, even if you have a 3.5HP motor you need enough WATTS – power going in – to make it work at that level. Same thing with AMPS.

So, you should ALWAYS find out what the WATTS are of any Blender, otherwise you are spending a lot of money on a Blender that never works at the 3HP or 3.5HP level.

Remember the math section above? Here we go….

BlendTec has a model called the “HP3A” and it runs around $400. It states that the blender is a 3HP blender, BUT it only has
1,500 WATTS & 13 AMPS, so here is the math for the truth:

AMPS x VOLTS = WATTS
13 x 120 = 1,560 WATTS

THEN you take the WATTS and times it by .00134
1,560 x .00134 = 2.09 HP (horsepower)

If you already know that WATTS, then just multiply it by .00134 and that is the ACTUAL HP that the blender will max out at.

This means….
You actually bought a 2.1HP (rounded up) blender because it does not get enough electricity to have it work at the 3HP speed.

The WATTAGE necessary for true 3HP speed REQUIRED is AT LEAST 2,200 WATTS or 18 AMPS! (= 2.9HP)

This is physics people, ask any electrician if you do not believe me and no matter what BlendTec or VitaMix or Waring say, what I am telling you is true. Most of the time, companies and/or manufacturers do not want to tell you the WATTAGE because then you can figure out that they are misleading you. But, this is standard industry practice.

The reason I posted this as that I am new to raw foods and transitioning over due to health reasons, I have Lupus, and I get really irritated with dishonesty.

Another tidbit about blending raw food that is green, fruity, nutty or whatever ingredient, you need AT LEAST 1500 WATTS or 13 AMPS in order to create enough appropriate friction to break down the cell walls of these ingredients and not loose nutrients, but preferably 1800 WATTS if you can afford it, or above (which I cannot afford it as these blenders run around $800 - $1,100)

But, there is a good side…. Because you do have a 3HP motor, it will last longer and rarely over heat and you can buy a 2HP – 2.5HP blender for a lot less money if it suits your needs. For a person like me, I need 2200WATTS (18AMPS) ideally because of the type of ingredients I use. You want to blend in as little time as possible so you do not loose nutrients and phytochemicals but at a speed high enough to break down the ingredients so your body can absorb ALL nutrients, phytochemicals, proteins or whatever.

So, when you look for a blender, take into account what they are stating as HP, you have to, but the real number to look at is the WATTS.

1500 WATTS = 2.01 HP = 13 AMPS
1800 WATTS = 2.4 HP = 15 AMPS
2200 WATTS = 2.9 HP = 18 AMPS

Final issue to keep in mind is the longer a blender has to work on getting the ingredients broken down means more of the nutrients can be destroyed by the friction/heat or not break down the cell walls at all, so high RPM’s is also important.

Hope this helps as I am still searching for an appropriate blender under $500. SHEESH!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: March 19, 2010 11:49PM

That's great and all but it doesn't really matter if it's 1hp or 10hp, what I do know is my Blendtec is a damn fine machine and I've used it roughly every day for the past year and a half. It's a beast and I love it. I know for a fact it's far better than a cheap blender. Furthermore Blendtec's service department is outstanding.

If you notice they don't list a horsepower on their website. So what's the big deal, where's the dishonesty?

If you're concerned about blend time and/or oxidation, get the large carafe with the 4" blade, that thing takes care of business.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 20, 2010 01:15AM

The issue is that I want to buy an actual 3HP because I NEED the nutriets from seeds berry seeds and other hard to blend ingrediants. I am doing this in order to get off of all the drugs that I am on because of a chronic illness. So, this issue is an important one for me and do not want to spend $500 on a blender that does not perform. I also do not want to get ripped off, as in pay extra for nothing and got irritated and all the misleading info, so passing what I know on to others to use or not to use.

I am not saying they are not great blenders, what I am saying is that they are miss-leading us "INTENTIONALLY". The price difference with the name, 2HP v. 3.5HP can be hundreds of dollars, and I mean up to $400 difference, but the performance can be close to the same and not worth the $200-$400 difference.

For example, the BlendTec Space Saver is at $570, that is the lowest I found it for BUT if you purchase the BlendTec EZ Blender for $350, you get EXACTLY the same performance but save $220! Both are 1500 WATTS, which is the real number to look at.

Also, almost all VITAMIX Blenders have 11.5AMPS, which means they are actually 2HP blenders as far as performance BUT the VITAMIX VITAPREP 1005 is the best 2HP and the only actual 2HP blender with 12.5AMPS, so worth the money.

So, for someone like me who is trying to go into remission through nutrition rather than the traditional AMA (American Medical Association) way with drug therapy it is a REAL BIG DEAL.

All these blenders are excellent blenders, no doubt, but their advertising is very deceptive. For me, I need the blender to actually break down cell walls in foods, not just blend together stuff for a tasty and healthy drink.

Also, if people do not mind spending an extra couple of hundred for a blender, whereas one can purchase the same quality for less, then there is no issue. Everyone can spend their money any way they want.

I specifically posted this info for those who need to know "ACTUAL" stats rather than buy into marketing hype.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: March 20, 2010 01:33AM

I DON'T agree that Blendtec is misleading us intentionally because like I said, the horsepower numbers aren't even shown on their website. And I'm sorry you believe that you need "X" watts to be able to get the nutrients out of the stuff you blend. Believe me a LOT of people have healed from a LOT of things on raw without even using a [high-speed] blender. Believe me I'm right there with you on the anti-pharma. Personally I just believe my Blendtec is a luxury item not necessary for excellent health.

Why not look at the Blendtec Tom Dickson Extreme if you're that serious about a mega blender? 20amp, 2400 watts. 10 year warranty. The big carafe w/ 4" blade. $999

[www.blendtec.com]

Instead of saying "Blendtec and Vita-mix are scamming everyone", why don't you suggest an alternative blender which performs equally for the money? There's a reason there are countless satisfied Blendtec and Vita-mix owners.. It's not ONLY about the watts..

Best of health to you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: March 20, 2010 01:44AM

I see your point about the Space Saver but I'm not familiar with that model, I'm only going by the ones on their website:
[www.blendtec.com]

The Connoisseur costs TWICE as much as the Total Blender but it has the same watts and current. It's not a scam: I assume the extra cost comes from the added jar, the ability to use it countertop or flush, and a beefed up warranty. There's nothing misleading about it though in my opinion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 20, 2010 08:46AM

"First, I will briefly explain the power structure of an electric motor:

"WATTS is the power coming INTO the motor (blender), what makes it run
HP (horsepower) is the actual speed/power of the motor (blender), how fast it works (blends)

"Just some math to remember:
1. WATTS = Amps x Volts (household voltage in the USA is 120)
2. HP = WATTS x .00134"

That's interesting, KNITTINGGIRL, and is certainly one way to measure horsepower and important to an electrician who needs to insure the appliance can be used without overloading the circuit. There are other accepted ways to measure horsepower, like by measuring torque actually produced. Watts going into a blender is an indicator of output power but depends on how efficiently the blender as a whole is designed. The Vita-Prep 3 by Vita Mix is advertized as having *approximately* 3 peak horsepower, yet another way of expressing HP and giving an idea of the power when first flicking the switch, the running HP understood to be less than 3 HP by those who are into such ratings.

"Input horsepower = useable output horsepower + wasted power in the form of heat

"Output horsepower = measure of work done (torque vs. rpm) — heat generated.

"The Power of Vitamix Blenders: Vitamix blenders have a powerful motor and list horsepower by
its output horsepower rating."

[www.air-way.net]

..the HP ratings are confusing because there are so many legitimate ways to state the horsepower, in my opinion. Some dealers promote their product as having a true HP rating without acknowledging the many ways it can be expressed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: March 20, 2010 11:42AM

I actually over heated my 3HP or 3.5HP blender the other day. It wasn't on long at all but I was making something really really thick. Thickest I've ever made it. It apparently didn't like this and the motor shut off on me and didn't work again until a day later.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 20, 2010 12:50PM

My juicer does that. It has overload protection and turns itself off automatically then resets itself when cooled.

On horsepower, an on-line calculator gives the Vita-Prep 3, advertised as having about 3 Peak HP, a true continuous rating of 1.3 HP (motor efficiency of 0.65 assumed) ***. [www.onlineconversion.com] That's quite a difference!

That's less generous than the OP's Horsepower formula--

Watts = Amps x Volts = 12.5 x 120 = 1500 Watts

HP = Watts x 0.00134 = 1500 x 0.00134 = 2.01 HP

..so the Vita Prep 3 is much more like a 2 HP blender than a 3 HP blender???

Very interesting! Thanks!

*** "Note: Most motors are rated using "Peak HP consumed" which is much higher than "true continuous HP". Peak HP should not be used in reality since it is mostly a marketing gimmick."



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 12:56PM by loeve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 20, 2010 01:03PM

Horsepower ratings seem to be misleading. They're based
on 'bare motor speed'....without a load. I've tested
the Blendtec 'space-saver' 15amp and the Waring MX1200XT...rated
at 3.5HP. Neither one had the power of my Vita-Prep 3, even though
Vita-Mix tech support swears the VP3 motor is no more powerful than
the standard 2HP Vita-Mix. The difference is a cooling fan that comes
on when the VP3 is switched on High. The motor is cooled...creating
more speed. If you want real power you have to step up to the 18amp.
or 20amp. Blentec commercial blenders. But, in my opinion, these
have too much power for home use.
For my money, the Vita-Prep 3 is the best personal blender.....WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 20, 2010 07:18PM

i like the big brain thinking in this thread , thank you Knittinggirl for starting it smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 20, 2010 11:20PM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i like the big brain thinking in this thread ,
> thank you Knittinggirl for starting it smiling smiley
I wish Baltochef was still posting here. I remember
him saying you can't go by just the Wattage and Amperage. The
quality of the copper windings of the motor plays a part as well,
as does the amount of copper used. The magnets play a part too.
Blender companies cut corners in quality....producing all the high
priced blenders for under $100 each. The markup is staggering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2010 01:57AM

Dear Rawpreston,

THEY ARE ALL MISLEADING US INTENTIONALLY, THE SCOUNDRELS!!! LOL

AND, people can decide for themselves what they want, I have given them alternatives through the info and math that I talked about. IF they use it, they will then make an "informed" decision. AND, I never said it is just about the WATTS, but when looking at and comparing blenders, WATTS, AMPS then HP is the way to go, for the reasons stated in my first email. IT is not like comparing apples to apples, it depends what you are going to use it for, how often etc... Once that is known THEN you can do the math and decide for yourself.

And if you READ my post I did make a suggestion in an example, the BlendTec space saver versus the EZ!

Look, Bottom line is they are misleading us. Not just BlendTec, ALL of them, it is a marketing ploy. I do not know if you sell BlendTec or whatever, but VitaMix and Waring do the same thing, so don't take personally... SHEESH!

OMISSION OF THE FACTS IS JUST ANOTHER FORM OF DECEPTION! Deception on any level is NOT HONORABLE and I will speak up against it every time! It is like having your boyfriend come home and tells you he had a great night with the guys but conveniently leaving out that the night out was at a strip club! IT is EXACTLY the same kind of lie.

And, you can find the information needed to make an INFORMED decision, but you have to dig around for it. When companies purposely hide or leave out information it is always to their benefit and if I am going to spend $400 on a freaking blender I want ALL the facts. Also, AMPS & WATTS are the main concerns with any electrical motor, not to mention Drag and Variance, but I kept it simple.
Also, if you take a look at VitaMix, even though they may have a 2HP motor, they only work at 1.8HP top speed as they ONLY have 11.5 AMPS or 1265 WATTS (only 1 VM model that I know of has 12.5AMPS):

1265 WATTS x .00134 = 1.7HP at most 1.8HP, that is FACT, the other is PHP or Phony Horse Power AND that is BARE MOTOR SPEED with means no Fan and without the JAR in place.

And by the way, I could get into food and the benefits thereof at a molecular level but it would take too long and is a whole other discussion. PLUS I think you should do some research before we even go there because there is nothing worse than talking to someone who has nothing but straw. I am not going to debate an issue unless the other person has an informed opinion otherwise it is a waste of my time and energy, I prefer steak over straw.

And please, if you are going to comment about health, do your homework. Serious illnesses like the one I have, LUPUS, can have tremendous health benefits when it comes to diet and nutrition. It falls into the top 3 things that effect the disease staying in remission, which is stress, diet/nutrition and sleep. There are even issues with the nightshade variety of foods. If there were no benefits I would not be spending the kind of money that I am on a high performance blender.

Also, after all the research I have done, which has been extensive, I have decided to go with the 2010 BlendTec HP3A, 3HP, 13AMP (1500WATT) Blender for now. Even though it has really poor marks for the construction of ball bearings in the base of the jar, I am going to try it out for myself as I have found one with an enclosure for a little over $300 which is a great price. Then, when I can afford it, I will be getting a 18 or 20 AMP Blender.

You really should do some research on how an electrical engine works and you will see that what I have stated is actually scientific fact and not conjecture. Also the info about breaking down foods to the molecular level is "scientifically" proven as fact, ask any nutritionist or MD. Or better yet, go find out for yourself.

Don't be such a Debbie Downer, the info was posted to help people, if you do not like it or believe it then don't use it. I mean WTF, do you sell BlendTec or something?

Oh Also...

A 4" blade is not a good idea unless you have at least 18AMPS, preferably 20AMPS and it has a lot to do with drag, wing span and wingtip configuration. And your comment that it does not matter if you have a 1HP or 10HP is way off, it matters a lot, not only is cost, like about $700 difference, but capabilities and performance.

And, post away, you are very welcome to do so of course as this is an open forum, but I will no longer reply unless I see that you have a well thought out, factual, logical argument for your opinion, otherwise it is like talking to a wall. Also, it seems that you are someone who wants to argue for the sake of argument and nothing more._
________________

To those of you who have done their homework, THANK YOU! And you are all correct, there is a lot that can go into figuring out fact from fiction.

Loeve is correct about the wasted energy due to heating and Wheatgrass Yogi is also correct about wiring and magnets. Also about the bare motor speed thingy.

I am going to try the BlendTec HP3A and see how it work, I do not think I will ever get a VitaMix simply because it has only 11.5 AMPS (but I heard the best made jar/ball bearing), way too low and especially for the money. Will stick to Waring (the MX series) and BlendTec. Will do a little more research though before I decide if a 20 AMP is worth it for me, especially at an $800 price tag. Also, VitaMix jars can be used on Waring MX series, which is a better motor, better usage rates and can get at the higher AMPS. Hmmmmmm - actually, a WARING motor base with a VitMix jar just may be the ticket!

Some more math that I found:

1HP = 745.699872 WATTS

.162 AMPS = 1HP (actually it is .16190 AMPS)

Also found out that basically no difference in residential v commercial blenders when it comes to parts. Basically all the same stuff used when putting them together, just when you get to 18/20AMPS they put better coatings, wires, rubber etc... because of friction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: March 21, 2010 04:28AM

I think you missed a decimal point in one of your calculations. OMG STOP THE PRESS, SOMEONE CALL 20/20!!

lol no I don't work for Blendtec, I just think you're over-analyzing things just a little bit. Some of the stuff you're saying is ridiculous. Believe me I have a background in math and I'm one of the most careful shoppers I know but even I didn't take things this far. If you want to talk the science of blending, talk to Dr. Brian Clement who says that he has the "science" to show that blending, esp high speed blending, destroys 90% of the nutrients, and that blending should be for "recreation" only. Of course I don't believe that but that is what he has said.

"Also the info about breaking down foods to the molecular level is "scientifically" proven as fact, ask any nutritionist or MD. Or better yet, go find out for yourself."

No thank you, I certainly WON'T be getting ANY nutritional info from nutritionists or MDs. You must be joking.

"A 4" blade is not a good idea unless you have at least 18AMPS, preferably 20AMPS and it has a lot to do with drag, wing span and wingtip configuration."

^That quote amazes me; did it come to you in a dream? How 'bout you just watch and see what the 4" blade does, compared to the 3", and a Vitamix:

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 21, 2010 06:53AM

"1HP = 745.699872 WATTS"

Those of us with math and science backgrounds would write this as 1 HP = 745 Watts or 1HP = 745.7 Watts. The 'many decimal points' implies an accuracy in determining horsepower which does not exist in practice to that many 'significant figures', though it's a fine text book definition, thank you.

Everyone is educated these days. We don't all have passion, though there is plenty of it on this thread.

One thing about the 20 Amp blenders is that they need a dedicated 20 Amp outlet, such as one would find for a dishwasher. At least in the US, countertops have duplex outlets on 20 Amp circuits which may be shared with several other duplex outlets, which is far from a dedicated outlet. A 20 Amp blender will even come with a special plug configuration which some try to get around with an adapter.. not a good idea.

Also a 20 Amp blender would be so rated for power going into the motor, not power output. Building safety is number one. The power ratings that an electrician would note on the unit indicates circuit requirements for safe operation, not how efficient the unit is at doing work.

A 1500 Watt blender will come with a regular plug, most duplex outlets anywhere in a house able to serve that (the common US 15 Amp circuit).

W = A x V

A = W/V

BlendTec HP3A -- Amps = 1500w / 120v = 12.5 Amps* -- (also the Vita-Prep 3)
*Blendtec lists the unit as 13 Amp, which suits common circuit size in many countries, I believe.

Even a 1 HP blender or 500 watt blender can do a lot of work, especially if the blades are impeccably sharp, the value of a well designed sturdy and sharp blade seldom mentioned...

BTW, I don't sell anything either, just appreciate the discussion.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 07:05AM by loeve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 21, 2010 11:27AM

just for comparison, a Vita Mix 5200 has these specs --

Q: What are the specifications of the motor?
A: The motor is an open frame brush universal with a 2 peak motor horsepower rating, 120 volts, 60 hz, 11.5 amps, 1380 watts.

[www.vitamix.com]

-their use of "peak horsepower" is consisent with their Vita Prep series and with the industry, i.e. Blendtec.

If 1 HP = 745 Watts then *if* Vita Mix uses "power in" wattage the

Vita Mix 5200 = 1.85 Peak HP (approximately 2 peak HP rounded up winking smiley ) --(1hp/745w = x/1380w therefore x=1.85hp)

If the motor is 65% efficient then true horsepower is 0.65 x 1.85 peak hp = 1.20 hp, still pretty powerful.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 11:38AM by loeve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2010 03:48PM

RAWPRESTON,


ok...

I cannot talk to you anymore, really, because you just talk out of the left side of your mouth and you are very condescending. I also think you just like to hear yourself talk.

At this point why don't you move on and bother someone else as I won't be reading or responding to any more of your posts.

I am not over analyzing anything, if I was going to spend $50 on a blender who cares. But, when it comes to spending $400 to $800 on one, then it is worth knowing what the hell you are buying, if it works and if it is worth it.

You are either incredibly bored and rich, or just a very angry guy.

Whatever.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 03:54PM by KNITTINGGIRL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2010 04:07PM

LOEVE,

WOW! Thanks for all the information about the 20 WATTS. Guess I won't be getting that one!

I also am thinking about the WARING MX series besides the BlendTec HP3A. Just have to make up my mind at this point, but the price on the HP3A that I found I am pretty sure will win me over.

Also, I think it was you who talked about "Peak Performance" and bare motor speed. Without getting into details, I found a site that actually states "normal" performance. Normal meaning:

1. In a regular room at an average room temperature
2. Blender is fully assembled, with the fan
3. Blender jar on the blender with food in it - in this case it was spinach, a banana without the peel and a whole apple and a little but of water

AND.... (drum roll please)

The RPM's were 26,000 on a 3.5HP motor with 1500 WATTS.

This particular model was the WARING MX1100XT with a 3.5HP motor, 45,000 RPM bare motor speed, 120 VOLTS and 13 AMPS.

So, what I figure is this....
26,000rpm is 57% or 45,000rpm
so, I will use this as general %rate of actual performance for all blenders that are like this one.

Makes sense?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2010 04:12PM

LOEVE,


LOVE THIS SITE!!!!! AND IT SAYS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO SAY
IN JUST NUMBERS!!!!



[www.onlineconversion.com]


MANY, MANY THANKS!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2010 04:24PM

LOEVE,

ALSO, YOUR QUESTION ABOUT VITAMIX ACTUALLY BEING A 2HP RATHER THAN A 3HP IS CORRECT. ALL OF THE VITAMIX BLENDERS ARE 2HP, TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE.

BUT, IF A BLENDER HAS A 3HP OR 3.5HP MOTOR IT WILL OUTLAST A BLENDER WITH 2HP MOTOR CONSIDERABLY AS IT CAN TAKE MORE WEAR AND TEAR. SO THERE IS A TRADE OFF.

JUST KNOW THAT YOU ARE GETTING A BLENDER WITH A 3HP MOTOR THAT ONLY WORKS AT A 2HP LEVEL. WHICH IS NOT NECESSARILY A BAD THING BECAUSE OF LENGEVITY. JUST KNOW THAT YOU PAYING FOR A 2HP PERFORMANCE LEVEL AND NOT A 3HP.

I ALSO FOUND THE FOLLOWING BLENDER NOT ONLY TO HAVE A 2HP MOTOR, BUT ACTUALLY WORK AT A 2HP LEVEL.

THE VITAMIX 4500 TURBO BLENDER HAS THE FOLLOWING:
1. 2HP MOTOR
2. 11.5 AMPS
3. 1300 WATTS

SO, 11.5 TIMES 120 = 1380 TIMES .00134 = 1.85HP

I THINK THIS IS THE "ONLY" BLENDER THAT IS WHAT IT SAYS IT IS!!

KUDOS FOR THE VITAMIX 4500 TURBO!

p.s. jar is BPA free also, have no idea on the price, i think around $350 - $400

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 21, 2010 10:33PM

Yes, that's great information. The Waring MX1100XT spec sheet [www.theblenderplace.com] says it has a "Heavy-duty 3.5 peak input HP motor". "Peak input HP" is the most descriptive yet as to how they calculate HP, according to the wattage or amperage coming into the unit, and not the effective output power of the blender. Your estimate of 57% motor efficiency is well thought out, electric motors in general between 50 and 70% efficient I read.

Glad you like onlineconversion.com. It gets right to the true HP!

A UK website was marketing the Waring MX1100XT as a 2 HP blender, which is probably more the true output HP. The Europeans aren't buying these odd "peak HP" ratings any more than you are!

All these blender companies are well thought of on these boards as one can see by a search through the archives.

Thanks, it's most interesting.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 10:47PM by loeve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 22, 2010 05:29AM

Experience trumps book smarts, any day.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 22, 2010 06:38AM

True, RAWLION. Have you spent much time around horses? A horse can kick one into next week, I found out, if you get on the wrong side of one. One HP = kick butt power smiling smiley

My 1/3 HP juicer and blender do a lot of work, the blender blades kept very sharp. It makes a big difference in smoothie texture and is easier on the machine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 22, 2010 07:27AM

1 TRUE HP = KICK BUTT POWER winking smiley



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 07:29AM by loeve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 24, 2010 07:40AM

KNITTINGGIRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOEVE,
>
> ALSO, YOUR QUESTION ABOUT VITAMIX ACTUALLY BEING A
> 2HP RATHER THAN A 3HP IS CORRECT. ALL OF THE
> VITAMIX BLENDERS ARE 2HP, TO THE BEST OF MY
> KNOWLEDGE.
>
> BUT, IF A BLENDER HAS A 3HP OR 3.5HP MOTOR IT WILL
> OUTLAST A BLENDER WITH 2HP MOTOR CONSIDERABLY AS
> IT CAN TAKE MORE WEAR AND TEAR. SO THERE IS A
> TRADE OFF.
>
> JUST KNOW THAT YOU ARE GETTING A BLENDER WITH A
> 3HP MOTOR THAT ONLY WORKS AT A 2HP LEVEL. WHICH
> IS NOT NECESSARILY A BAD THING BECAUSE OF
> LENGEVITY. JUST KNOW THAT YOU PAYING FOR A 2HP
> PERFORMANCE LEVEL AND NOT A 3HP.
>

Knittinggirl,
The Blendtec/Vita Mix/Waring HP ratings are all roughly twice their true horsepower, I'm finding. It's an advertising gimmick. The good news is that even 1.5 TRUE HP is very powerful. It's a confusing system though and not recognized internationally.

"So if it takes ten or more amps at 125V to achieve one HP, why is it that I can buy a device that says it develops, say, five HP, and still plug it in to my 15 amp wall outlet? Did someone change the Laws of Thermodynamics in the middle of the night and forget to tell me? This is absurd. Can manufacturers make such outlandish claims? Sure they can - they do it all the time. As far as I can tell, they're not really committing consumer fraud under the FTC, they're just skewing the data a bit. It's called puffing, something done everyday in the world of advertising and sales."

[www.kevinsbrady.net]

..at this link theirs a nice table to help figure the true horsepower. It covers those on 220/240 (230) volts too for those in countries that run on that like those across the pond.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 24, 2010 09:59AM

..you probably don't need three of these guys in your kitchen,

or even two...

[roundbarn.homestead.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 24, 2010 04:10PM

loeve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ..you probably don't need three of these guys in
> your kitchen,
>

Did anyone open the link and notice the body language of the three draft horses? Two of them have wide eyes and ears forward and are thoroughly engaged with the conversation of the 3 little girls. The nearer horse is squinting and has ears back with one pointed at the camera as if to say to the photographer, "Your making me very uncomfortable".



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 04:14PM by loeve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: Vforce ()
Date: August 14, 2011 07:20PM

Hi, So what are your thought on the Blendtec SpaceSaver A3-48E-37V

[www.universalrestaurantsupply.com]

Would the 15amps and 1800 watt be better at blending seeds, and give longer life to the blender at heavy loads or is the jump from 13amps to 15amps not enough. for spending $200 bucks more

Rather than buy a first blender and move up,could this be the first Blender and the last one you would ever need.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 15, 2011 03:41PM

an old thread with old news. Reason you are paying $598 for that puppy is you are paying for 2 carafes, 1 3 qrt and 1 2 qrt . Do you really need a 3 quart and a 2 quart?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: Vforce ()
Date: August 15, 2011 05:33PM

I wasn't really talking about the money,but 15amps over 13amps. Would it be better at braking down stuff like small seeds as they say the 20amp units can do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: happyway ()
Date: September 06, 2011 06:18PM

some in depth knowledge on breaking free cellular nutrition and oxidation:

[gerson.org]
then scroll to Juicers for Cancer Treatment
and click at end of paragraph
on Hallelujah Acres Juicer Comparison Study

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.


Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables