Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 07, 2011 08:30PM

Knittinggirl - how funny that you posted this as I was only getting my partner to explain wattage and horsepower to me this morning.

I said that I thought my new juicer was 2HP and he said he thought that was extremely unlikely. When we got home I looked in the user guide and it says that the power consumption is 150w - i.e. tiny - so then I looked on Omega's website and this is what they say:

No heat build up.
Easy to assemble, operate and clean.
High juice yield ­ very dry pulp.
New Heavy Duty 8X Stronger Juicing Screen
Continuous juicing with automatic pulp ejection.
Dual-Phase Induction Auger RPM: 70 RPM Rotation Speed.
Very Quiet Commercial Condenser Brushless 2 HP motor.
Auger is made out of GE's ULTEM material. (8 times stronger)
Heavy Duty Construction using the highest quality materials.
Single gear produce less foam than double gear juicers.
Two juicing screens for firm and soft produce.
Engineered for quiet operation and long life.
Built-in "reverse" to prevent clogging
Gear runs at 2 HP with gear reduction.
Height x Length x Width: 15 3/4" x 9 4/5" x 6 4/5"
Feed Chute Opening 2.25" by 1.25"
UL and CUL approved
Voltage: 120V/60Hz
10 Year Warranty

clearly 2HP motor. I said to my partner how can they say this - it's clearly rubbish. He just shrugged and said they are just pulling the wool over your eyes - marketing rubbish etc - he is not very interested I have to say.
I don't care much as my juicer works beautifully and I would rather use less energy (if that is what I am doing)

But I do wonder how these companies can get away with such misleading or infact downright wrong information.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HORSEPOWER YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, BlendTec/VitaMix/WARING
Posted by: channal1 ()
Date: September 19, 2011 09:51AM

THANK YOU
i think i should thank you very much for you can waste lot of time to write this post .....thank you again for your sharing..

Posted by: margie ()
Date: April 29, 2012 02:31AM

WOW !

Posted by: trsc ()
Date: May 13, 2012 07:04PM

Knittinggirl and other Writers: Thank you very much for your information. I found a SVP High Performance 3HP Heavy Duty Black Commercial Blender with 2500 watt. That is only around $200.00. How do you think this product? It is not a big name products.

Posted by: tailiew ()
Date: June 27, 2012 06:25AM

I have a Vitamix 5200 brought back from US and has been sitting back home for 1 year.

I check the website
(http://www.everythingkitchens.com/vita-mix_5200_blender_1371_1372.html), stated

120 volt, 60 hz, 11.5 amps (can someone verify if this is true for this blender?)

United States is 120 60Hz AC.

My country voltage is 240V 50Hz AC.

How am i going to use it?
step down transfomer? can someone advise what's the specs that i need to buy?

Posted by: SageMan ()
Date: July 15, 2013 01:21AM

KNITTINGGIRL,

Thank you for the information about the HP for blenders. I found it to be very helpful. Did notice some here did not appreciate your helpful research. As it surprise me as most raw food people I know respect others input. Yes, Vitamix and Blendtec are the top performers or best at marketing their products. But still need to take into consideration cost. Unless you are wealth then it does not matter. The point is Watts vs actual HP is not adding up as advertise in certain blenders and should be address for what it really is. This will determine the stress put on the blender and life duration it last. As well as other factors.

So again thank you for your input and everyone else too. Either positive or negative. As I already have a high quality juicer and in the process to buy a blender soon myself.

Posted by: rainwater ()
Date: August 01, 2013 01:50PM

It is actually good that the manufacturers give a 3 or 3.5 horsepower motor that works as advertised at less horsepower. This is why my Vita-Mix has been running smoothly for 20+ years. If you run a car at it's horsepower potential all the time it will soon breakdown. Some dealers will even try to back off warranty work on a car that has been run this hard saying the owner "abused" the engine. It's more important that the blender works as advertised, and lasts a very long time because these power blenders such as Vita-Mix cost quite a bit. But, if they last 20+ years then the yearly breakdown is minimal. That would be less than $20.00 dollars a year for me.

Posted by: flash ()
Date: August 26, 2013 05:51AM

I had a BlendTec HP3. It did not have as much power as the Waring commercial XTreme (rated at 3.5 peak hp). However, neither of those would grind berry seeds. The VitaMix 6300 that I recently purchased from Costco does grind berry seeds. And, at the slow end, it is the only one that is able to make salsa somewhat chunky rather than a puree.

flash

Posted by: rayr0683 ()
Date: January 29, 2014 08:58PM

Hello Anonym. I see that this Post is from 2010, and understand what your saying regarding HP specs on these power blenders. I personally have owned the Vitamix Super Total Nutrition Center since 1994, mine is a 2 HP Machine, and I feed all Raw Veggies, many times Fresh-Frozen, along with Raw Seeds and Nuts....etc...and Wham, in less than 40 seconds I have a Large 64 Ounce Ice Cold Smoothie.....or I make Nut Butters, Fresh Flower, etc...in less than a minute also.....I just wanted to let you know that Vitamix "Does" Make Many More Powerful Machines than the 2 HP Machines....take a look on Google, or Vitamix Website at the (VITAMIX XL) Model....This is a Commercial Machine, but holds 1.5 Gallons in it's Large Container, and has much Higher HP Motor, in fact, a whole different Motor Design, Belt Driven, for the Constant Turnaround High Volume Requirements of the Restaurant-Bar-Ice Cream Parlor- Coffe Shop Chain Stores Setting-Environment....Hope all worked out for you!

Posted by: reddioment ()
Date: November 30, 2015 04:28PM

In Europe the vatts are 240 @ 15A so we could easily run up to 4HP motors throug our plugs.
So it might be unecessary in the US to have such high HP but these products are on sale world wide. It isn't a bunch of crap that manufaturers say.
Most of the world uses the better 240v standard.
So you can't but I can use all of thos HPs.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables