Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Green Smoothie Confusion
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2010 08:15PM

Hello,

I am new here and very, very new to incorporating a raw diet. I have recently discovered green smoothies and have been very excited about adding those to my diet. Next, I purchased the book "The Raw Food Detox Diet" and the author claims you should never mix fruit with anything. Now I am terribly confused as I make my green smoothies with a piece of fruit added for sweetness.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I not be adding fruit to my smoothies or is this isolating of fruit completely incorrect?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green Smoothie Confusion
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 21, 2010 11:11PM

Enjoy your green fruit smoothies!!! I have always read that fruit and greens in smoothies are an excellent combination. Just try fruit in green smoothies and see how your digestion is. Combining fruit and lettuces doesn't affect me negatively at all. Fruit is what makes green smoothies taste great! smiling smiley

However, mixing fruits and other vegetables does give me indigestion and gas because most vegetables take so much longer to digest.

You don't really need recipes - just try different combinations to see what you like. If you want some ideas though, there are lots of sites to investigate. One is www.goneraw.com and if you want to know some other recipe sites, let me know.

My favorite raw vegan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 11:17PM by Trive.

Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: March 22, 2010 01:49AM

I had alot of reservations about combining fruits with vegetables but then learned that the green smoothies are fruit and LEAFY greens. That's what makes all the difference. In nature the leaf and fruit are together.

Other vegetables (starchy roots or fruits like zucchini) I consider to be fruits and may make smoothies with them and greens, a savory, not sweet, smoothy.

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: March 22, 2010 02:43AM

Green Smoothies for Sovereignty
Regarding a diet for the redemption of our full humanity—the ability to break through ones own inertia, blockages, anxiety, depression, stagnation and Thanatos requires a metanoia and epiphany at the cellular level. To allow the bodymind to be reborn in its cosmic design necessitates much higher, refined energy than that which animates the “normalized” condition. Besides exercise and yoga the principle method of providing our caterpillar body with the resources it needs to turn into a butterfly is raw green smoothies and juices.

Green smoothies can be made with well ripened fruit and a variety of leafy greens including: spinach, New Zealand spinach, Prickly Sow Thistle (Puha), chard, kale, alfalfa greens, clover, nettle, raspberry leaves, dandelion, sunflower sprout greens, watercress, sorrel, knotweed, parsley, turnip tops, beet leaves, Moringa leaves and wolfberry leaves. Other non-starchy vegetables that can be added to green smoothies are things like tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados, Aloe vera, celery and bell peppers. It is good to alternate between a various greens in order to avoid overloading the body with particular alkaloids. Using frozen acai berry sachets in the smoothie is a good substitute for the raw cacao powder. Slowly work up to including around half a bunch of kale or spinach in each blender full of smoothie.

Regular vegetables that contain starch are best juiced rather than mixed with fruit in a smoothie. Juice friendly veges include: broccoli, cabbage, beets, carrots, peas, corn, pumpkin, zucchini, ginger and green beans. The stalks of kale, beet, broccoli and spinach are also best juiced. Living for a period solely on several green smoothies and vegetable juices per day will provide the energy necessary for ascension and allow the thorough detoxification necessary for emotional liberation. Green smoothies rectify the potassium/sodium ratio. Potassium is an enzyme activator in cells, while sodium remains extra-cellular and is an enzyme inhibitor.

Don’t add oils or protein powders to your smoothie or it will slow down digestion and there is plenty of protein in the greens themselves. The daily protein requirement (RDA) is 0.36 (grams) multiplied by your body weight. That translates to about 44 grams for a 120-pound woman and 54 grams for a 150-pound male. Keep in mind that breast milk is only about 5-8 percent protein. Nuts and seeds which we normally think of as having more protein than vegetables actually have less protein, eg: spinach-49%, broccoli-45%, lettuce-34%, cauliflower-40%, kale-45%, zucchini-28%, cabbage-22%, Chinese cabbage-34%, Mung bean sprouts-43%, soybean sprouts-54%, bamboo shoots-39%. Compare the greens protein levels with the following: wheat germ-31%, whole wheat-17%, buckwheat-18%, oats-15%, brown rice-8%, navy beans-26%, mushrooms-38%, pumpkin seeds-21%, walnuts-13%, pecans-5%, filberts-8%. Don’t forget wheat grass juice also and wheat grass/clay body packs.
Green Smoothie Revolution: The Radical Leap Towards Natural Health by Victoria Boutenko.
Greensmoothiechallenge.org
www.youtube.com/user/rjncaction —RJ’s great Green Smoothie youtube videos
[biologyofkundalini.com] --A more comprehensive Superfood Smoothie for “rebuilding.”

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 22, 2010 03:24AM

Thank you all for the great information & encouragement! That's just what I was looking for! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 03:26AM by cassiopeia.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 22, 2010 03:44AM

Janabanana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> www.youtube.com/user/rjncaction —RJ’s great
> Green Smoothie youtube videos
RJ explains how he healed his Back Pain. Thanks for
the Link....very interesting.....WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables