Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kale Stalks?
Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 10, 2010 08:51PM

quick question-
when i juice my kale, i use the stalks b/c i figure they've got nutrition and i don't want to waste anything (as i'm juicing for 5). for a while i did just the leaves, but figured the stalks wouldn't hurt the juice (and it doesn't in flavor).

had some people staying with us and one girl who juices was like 'um, you're not suppose to use the stalk.' like it was bad. i was curious to the experiences here with kale.

stalk or no stalk?

peace-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kale Stalks?
Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: April 10, 2010 10:04PM

I always use the stalks - the kale juices better in my Breville when the stalk is still attached to the leaves.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 11, 2010 12:25AM

I juice my stalks but removing them if blending into a smoothie or soups. When you juice them, most of the stalk fiber passes through to the pulp. But with a blender or soup, it would end up in the product.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 11, 2010 03:19AM

Oh yeah, and same with parsley and broccoli. There seems to be more water in them, so it makes sense. I agree that if you were gonna make a green smoothie, it would probably be best not to include them.

Posted by: flash ()
Date: April 12, 2010 10:15PM

I've always blended the whole stalk of every leafy green that I blend including wheatgrass.

flash

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 14, 2010 01:56PM

beautiful-
i think it's that she's into green smoothies, and juices carrots, but doesn't have experience with masticating juicers.

just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something huge.

Thanks all! off to juice my breakfast- cucumber, 3 carrots, romaine lettuce, parsley, and celery. Oh, there was also the comment from her that green juice isn't good cause it spikes blood sugar (per her mom)- but she drinks carrot juice. she's young and i didn't rant, but how in the world can romaine, celery, parsley, and cucumbers spike anything except my energy levels? carrots, granted, but the greens?

oh well, there's a wealth of misinformation out there.

peace-

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: April 17, 2010 07:41AM

stems are bitter, thats all. in juice it seems to be fine. in smoothie it can effect the flavor more so. chard is worse, the stem bitterness I mean.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: boysenberry ()
Date: April 17, 2010 10:26PM

I always blend the stalks in my smoothies and I haven't ever noticed a problem with the taste. I add a cup of blueberries, but that is the only fruit. I don't find my smoothies bitter - I don't use any sweeteners other than the blueberries.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 17, 2010 11:29PM

Juice the Stalk....Remove the Stalk when Blending....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables