Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

oh no- now me on blenders....
Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 05, 2010 12:43AM

hey all-
i've had an oesterizer blender for going on a decade now, and alongside my Omega Juicer, found that things worked great. my blender would turned soaked grains into batter, and mostly make a smooth smoothie.... kinda. but it wasn't a big deal.

now i'm running a kitchen for 30 days in July, serving between 50 and 250 people a day over that time, and i want to invest in a piece of equipment to serve as a blender/food processor/grain grinder (burned out my last food processor by letting people use it at our last event).

how do the vita-mix and blendtec do at food processing? i probably won't do many raw grains, as i'm not really into serving those, but if anyone has ground brown rice, i'd like to hear how fine it could be made.

i'm looking for a simple to operate, dependable machine that would function in a commercial kitchen as well as in a home environment (as i only do events)-

i know its the old Vita-Mix/Blendtec thing again.... but i'm thinking for a kitchen staff (not one user) and for multiple times a day usage by various people- so hoping you wonderful folks could help me out with your highly prized opinions!

peace-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: oh no- now me on blenders....
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 05, 2010 01:21AM

Mama Cass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ......... but i'm thinking for a kitchen staff
> (not one user) and for multiple times a day usage
> by various people
For a Restaurant situation, I'd say go with the Blentec
because you can press a button and do other things it is blending.
With a Vita-Mix, you have to stay with the blender....WY

Posted by: neurosport ()
Date: May 05, 2010 01:33AM

if the blender will be where the customers are you might want to consider a model with sound abatement cover.

i am not sure how much quieter it would be though - probably not by much. will probably make a difference when crushing ice though.

Date: May 05, 2010 12:59PM

Thanks Wheatgrass Yogi-
i was curious about that. buttons do seem easier for many people- and it has the larger carafe.

neurosport-
it would't be near 'customers'- it's an old dorm kitchen and i would have it 'behind the scenes' hanging out near my omega, and maybe another omega, at my secret juicing/raw foods station. it's not a raw foods event, though i provide raw foods at every meal, and i'm not sure about ice crushing.

i'm looking for a multi-purpose food-prep tool- VitaMix people told me the 5200 would better suit my needs than the VitaMix food prep 3 (industrial model)- but i'm skeptical.

i'll check out the blendtec- there's a great deal at vitalityplus1, where i order my random things a lot of the time.

thanks!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 05, 2010 05:43PM

If you are asking specifically how milling grain works in a Blendtec, I can tell you that it has worked very well for me. I sprouted and dehydrated some buckwheat and kamut and made some homemade soba noodles for my wife. As long as the grain isn't too moist, it works well.

Paul

Date: May 08, 2010 03:23PM

thanks Paul-

usually i soak my grains until they're sprouting, so that might affect things, but i can alway soak into sourdough after milling too- it just would be a different style.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables