Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone juice with dandelion?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 06, 2010 09:46PM

I just bought some organic dandelion at the produce market this afternoon! It's really purty-looking and I ripped off a piece of leaf and chewed. It's funny--I felt my crown chakra tingling, if that means anything to any of you. It seems like purifying produce gives spiritual feelings and "highs," but then I wonder if it's simply the detox, LOL.

My question is what I should mix it with, as it is bitter. I have some Granny Smiths at home, so they are not high sugar. Also, I was thinking of putting in a few carrots and some celery. I am just wondering if other people juice regularly with dandelion, given its intense flavor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone juice with dandelion?
Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 08, 2010 03:20PM

this spring, before breakfast my two little ones and i would go out and collect tiny, fresh unflowered dandelion leaves to juice for our morning smoothie.

it's too bitter for me when it gets larger- i tend to avoid them. but granny smith apples, romaine lettuce, cucumber, celery and a carrot or two can help. i drink it anyways- probably like people drink whiskey- with a shudder, and a warm sensation sliding down my throat and heating up my belly.

now we just eat the flowers- my kids eat at least five dandelion flowers a day. oh yeah. they love those things- and they're all going to seed, so this is the time. i'm planning on getting root soon, but if i start juicing the large greens more often, i'll update this post.

the kids liked it in the smoothie w/ spirulina (strong flavored), frozen strawberries, fresh banana, and frozen blueberries- i'd add the dandelion dense green juice (w/out apples) to their smoothies and call it breakfast- they didn't mind it.

so the banana smoothie part might ease up the flavor. but then again, they also eat the stalks in their salad. maybe i'll change my name to dandelion.....

peace-

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 08, 2010 07:06PM

Hey MX,

For those of us that are gathering wild, make sure it is dandy; hawthorne is a close look-alike.

[www.nativeeyes.com]

Although I don't believe it is considered toxic unless consumes in large quantities, it is good to know the difference between the two.

Happy foraging! smiling smiley

Date: May 08, 2010 08:55PM

Mama Cass: it's funny because I have a bunch of organic dandelion leaves and they are very long and VERY bitter. It's interesting that you say the shorter ones are not so bitter. I cannot forgage for them in my backyard because I don't know if it's been chemically treated! The front has been. The people come and poison it on a regular basis and then stick those little warning signs not to make contact with the "treated" grass. I wonder if the birds and the squirrels and the deer and the stray cats can read that sign? Heaven forbid that there should be dandelions, clover, and those pretty little purple flowers!

Date: May 08, 2010 10:05PM

"...and those pretty little purple flowers!" Violets, possibly?

banana who - most of the wild edibles are not as bitter when they are younger, I have found.

Date: May 08, 2010 11:58PM

we're blessed- moved into a couple of acres that have been organic for at least over 30 years, and maybe forever.

the smaller greens are far less bitter. the big ones i've found elsewhere and outside are really really intense. i'm 1/2 greek though, so i was raised hunting down dandelions in the yard to go with dinner. winking smiley

thanks for the link, juicerkatz.

our flowers are definitely dandelions, though i have met a few hawthornes in my life. is there a difference in the leaf/smaller plant that can be taught? i've been picking dandelions since i was 4 (under strict supervision) so am pretty confident in it, but it's always good to get a reminder course in the subtle differences.

my kids also eat the violets, but we've got buttercups and other non-edibles, so they're required to run any flower past me before consuming. it's pretty funny- they're always offering guests flowers. and my 4 year old tried to get my friend to eat a dandelion stalk and said "it's good for your blood sugar, just put it in a salad!" wild edibles are so natural, and appealing to kids, just harder for some others to incorporate.

Date: May 09, 2010 12:32AM

MC,

I've talked to experienced foragers that say it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference between the two, but if you can compare them side by side it is much easier, of course.

"it's pretty funny- they're always offering guests flowers. and my 4 year old tried to get my friend to eat a dandelion stalk and said "it's good for your blood sugar, just put it in a salad!"

I love it! You have them trained right! grinning smiley

Have you ever made dandy tea from them? I have been meaning to, but haven't done so yet.

Posted by: stellium ()
Date: May 09, 2010 05:10AM

YES..... I've had it from a juicer and I also BLEND with it. It's good and powerful. I also chop it in salads. I usually use grapefruit in juices VS bananas etc.. also a powerful alive tasting fruit. Or w lemon and ginger. Lots of possibilites. I like the bitter greens, once I got used to them. You look at charts with things with the most nutrients, kale, collard greens, dandelion are at the top, why not use the best? Dandelion is great.

Date: May 09, 2010 08:35PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "...and those pretty little purple flowers!"
> Violets, possibly?
>
> banana who - most of the wild edibles are not as
> bitter when they are younger, I have found.

I know that violets are very deep purple and these are more lilac-colored. Someone told me what they were: perhaps bleeding hearts? I dunno...Do you know if we can eat the actual dandelion head (yellow)?

Date: May 17, 2010 08:01PM

based on a daily consumption of about 2 heads each for my kids since early may, i would say dandelion heads are edible.

grinning smiley

Date: May 17, 2010 08:18PM

banana who Wrote:
> juicerkatz Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "...and those pretty little purple flowers!"
> > Violets, possibly?
> >
> > banana who - most of the wild edibles are not
> as
> > bitter when they are younger, I have found.
>
>
> I know that violets are very deep purple and these
> are more lilac-colored. Someone told me what they
> were: perhaps bleeding hearts? I dunno...Do you
> know if we can eat the actual dandelion head
> (yellow)?

Yes, they are edible. Chicory petals are another. Many flowering petals are.

Date: May 18, 2010 12:45AM

I need a manual on plants because I have these wild green plants growing on the side of the house and I would love to know what they are. What is interesting is that some of the plants survive the winter and stay green in the snow! I wonder why they do and other plants go brown and dry up? All these plants also are not in the sun and yet they are doing so well.

Date: May 18, 2010 10:54AM

banana who Wrote:
> I need a manual on plants because I have these
> wild green plants growing on the side of the house
> and I would love to know what they are. What is
> interesting is that some of the plants survive the
> winter and stay green in the snow! I wonder why
> they do and other plants go brown and dry up? All
> these plants also are not in the sun and yet they
> are doing so well.

Can you post pics of them? Also, what state are you located in? If you don't have a book, your local library will, and you can also go to just about any university website & they will have a plant id section avail.

Date: May 18, 2010 05:52PM

I am in IL near Chicago. I wish I had a digital camera and then I'd upload a pic right away. Do you have any recommendations on a good plant identifying book? I happen to be in the library right now...

Date: May 18, 2010 08:20PM

banana who Wrote:
> I am in IL near Chicago. I wish I had a digital
> camera and then I'd upload a pic right away. Do
> you have any recommendations on a good plant
> identifying book? I happen to be in the library
> right now...

Have a look here -

This is considered by many to be the best book for wild edibles i.d. - this link actually has the book online where you can view the pages. What is nice is most are pictured with full color photos, and there is a good bit of detail about each plant so mistakes are not made...

and, the plants are broken up by seasons, which makes for easy identifying in the varying growth stages of the plants, what will be blooming at certain times of the year, etc.

[books.google.com]

That book can be purchased for as little as $10.00. can't beat it!

One publication that is NOT RECOMMENDED by many is the "The Illustrated Guide to Edible Wild Plants - Department of the Army"

very vague, little edible to poisonous cross referencing, and worst of all, they outline a ridiculous procedure on how to test plants on yourself to see if they are edible.

All us foragers have a hard time believing that the "Department of the Army" would put out something like this that could actually place your life in jeopardy by testing an unknown plant on yourself! What were they thinking?!?!?

We really need to start a wild edibles thread on this forum, lol!

Date: May 18, 2010 10:34PM

Thanks for the tip! Yet another question: I just looked at the library catalog (I caught myself before I said 'card catalog'!) and the author has two books: the one you mentioned and another called "Edible Wild Plant: A North American Field Guide to Over 200 Natural Foods." Since it's by the same person and came out last year, I requested having it sent from another library. Sounds like it may be the same book with a different title or a few more things added to it...

Date: May 19, 2010 12:16AM

banana who Wrote:
> Thanks for the tip! Yet another question: I just
> looked at the library catalog (I caught myself
> before I said 'card catalog'!) and the author has
> two books: the one you mentioned and another
> called "Edible Wild Plant: A North American Field
> Guide to Over 200 Natural Foods." Since it's by
> the same person and came out last year, I
> requested having it sent from another library.
> Sounds like it may be the same book with a
> different title or a few more things added to
> it...

lol, It is still the "card catalog" to me, along with "Dewey Decimal" grinning smiley

I believe it is a reprinting of the same book, however I am not 100% sure. An online forager friend of mine recommend "A Forager's Harvest by Samuel Thayer" for your area (IL/great lakes area)

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 19, 2010 05:32PM

ooo, what would your friend suggest for the northern california/southern oregon area? grinning smiley

Date: May 19, 2010 05:39PM

Curator Wrote:
> ooo, what would your friend suggest for the
> northern california/southern oregon area? grinning smiley

You are in a prime growing area for many wild edibles - look online for "miners lettuce" pics & then go look in the woods, vacant lots, etc.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 19, 2010 06:12PM

ooo, yeah I munch on that one already, didnt know its name, but a Tolowa friend of mine showed it to me, I actually really like it.

Edit: although its actually not very common up here, its more common down near sacramento where she originally showed it to me when I was visiting, so I harvest a ton of it whenever I go down that direction...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2010 06:14PM by Curator.

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: May 24, 2010 01:36AM

This is the best dandelion season ever. Best to pick them under trees by rivers. You can put a whole handful of leaves, minus the last 3 inches of stem, into your green smoothies. I will be eating no other greens than dandelion for the next month...they are so fine...pick the young ones.

Re Gulf Spill...Could they use the piles of chicken @#$%& around the US for the job? :-X

Here is Paul Stamets spill letter....
[www.fungi.com]

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: May 24, 2010 08:13PM

Just just juiced some for the first time...added to my normal very delicious green juice. With the added dandelion I had lots of trouble getting down my juice. I may have added too much for my first time...not sure. I'll try again but with less.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables