Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The New Vitamix Professional Series 500
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 10, 2010 02:05AM

I went into a Williams Sonoma store yesterday and went to the blender section expecting to see the usual suspects including the Vitamix 5200 I was used to seeing. To my suprise, Vitamix has apparently developed an upgrade to the 5200 called the Vitamix Professional Series (or Pro for short). The website and intro video are below in the first and second weblink respectively. I was impressed with the Pro 500. A brief list of the enhancements include:
- the addition of a pulse button for fingertip control
- 3 new automatic settings for soups, frozen desserts and smoothies. Vitamix claims that these three auto setting will work for other types of recipies.

Carry overs from the 5200 appear to include: 1) the 7 year warranty, 2) 2+ horsepower motor, 3) variable control giving the blender both variable and automatic control, a first for Vitamix. Not sure about market price. Williams Sonoma was charging about $500. Take a look at the video below if you want to know more. I've happy with my Blendtec but have to admit if I were buying today, the Pro 500 would make it much tougher for me not buy Vitamix it having added a pulse button and some automatic settings overcoming two of what I felt were missing features for me in a blender.
Paul

[www.vitamix.com]
[www.vitamix.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The New Vitamix Professional Series 500
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 10, 2010 02:29AM

A most unusual video.....3 minutes long without once turning on the Vita-Mix.....WY

Posted by: neurosport ()
Date: May 10, 2010 03:56AM

READ MY LIPS: MARKETING GIMMICK.

blendtec owners think its preprogrammed settings are some kind of advance that makes it superior to vitamix - thats a DELUSION. actually Vitamix manual control is superior to blendtec's controls - let me tell you why.

preprogrammed settings are not there for your convenience. this is what is used in a smoothie chain environment. before getting my Blending Station i spent about half an hour watching it work at Jamba Juice. one employee would be running 2 or 3 blenders at the same time using the presets. imagine how much money Jamba Juice would lose if they needed 3 employees to run the same 3 blenders ? THAT is what the presets are for. are you running 3 blenders at the same time ? NO. then you have no use for presets. END OF STORY.

but from marketing perspective its easier to put those presets on the blender than to explain to people that they are useless. VitaMix got tired of blendtec's owners feeling all superior and came out with this useless "professional series" blender.

only problem is these presets are worse than useless. because the tall vitamix container isn't designed for preprogrammed operation. its designed for TAMPER operation. all of the COMMERCIAL vitamix blenders with automatic operation use XP or Advance containers - which are short and fat like that on the Blendtec. THE ONLY commercial vitamix that doesn't use presets is Vita-Prep 3 and it is also the only one that uses the Tall narrow carafe.

basically high volume operation ( dozens of shakes per hour ) requires a short fat container and presets while low volume operation ( a few shakes a day ) can tolerate a narrow tall container with a tamper and is best with manual control.

contrary to your belief VitaMix makes BOTH kinds of blenders and MOST of VitaMix blenders are actually of the automatic short wide type. however ALL OF THEM are commercial models because there is no such thing as high volume home use.

Blendtec on the other hand is a cheaper brand - they don't have the money to develop different blenders for different uses - all their blenders are therefore the same.

hope that clears it up for you mate smiling smiley

Date: May 10, 2010 04:23AM

the reason preprogrammed operation requires different container shape is because to get consistent results with presets you need to make sure the shake is circulating evenly all of the time. with a tall narrow container there will be stuff blending on the bottom and other stuff on top doing nothing. with a preset you would end up with whole pieces of produce in your shake - such a container can only be used with manual control and a tamper.

on the other hand a wider container is harder on the motor. also with a wide container its harder to process very small servings like maybe half a cup of sauce. the commercial counterpart to 5200 is vita-prep which is designed for just that - sauces and stuff - small servings.

so 5200 is a jack of all trades master of none. a fair deal for home use or for making sauces in a restaurant.

total blender is simply a bastardized version of a smoothie chain blender. it's not designed for home use nor strong enough for commercial use. it's commercial variant ( EZ Blender ) only comes with 6 months warranty - an indication of its durability.

in truth there are no blenders on the market optimized for making green smoothies. i will not BS you and say that my blender ( Vita-Mix Blending Station Advance ) is somehow more optimized for our purposes than your Total Blender - it is not. it is merely more optimized for smoothie chain environment. what do i gain from that ? for the most part just the bragging rights.

Date: May 10, 2010 02:22PM

Neurosport,

The purpose of this thread is to showcase and review the Vitamix Pro 500, which I like very much, rather than get into another discussion about the merits between Blendtech and Vitamix. John Kohler has already done a very thorough review of both blenders:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

I chose my Blendtec over the Vitamix because I find the one button touch more convenient than the manual control of the Vitamix and also because it is much easier to clean and more cost effective with a larger available carafe. Some people prefer to set by their blender and use the manual control. More power to them. To each their own.

I grant the Vitamix 4500 and 5200 several advantages over a Blendtec HP3A including a better warranty, and being quieter.

I find your revisionism on the reason for the shapes of Vitamix and Blendtec interesting but not persuasive. Some people like driving an automatic transmission. Some people like driving a stick shift. That's the best analogy I think that fits the difference between the variable control of the Vitamix and and the automatic control of the Blendtec, though I think the Pro 500 is going to change that. Finally, I think it is worth noting, that the Blendtec speed buttons give the operator the same flexibility that the Vitamix variable control has, just laid out differently. Chacun a son gout.

Paul

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: May 10, 2010 05:05PM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I went into a Williams Sonoma store yesterday and
> went to the blender section expecting to see the
> usual suspects including the Vitamix 5200 I was
> used to seeing. To my suprise, Vitamix has
> apparently developed an upgrade to the 5200 called
> the Vitamix Professional Series (or Pro for
> short). The website and intro video are below in
> the first and second weblink respectively. I was
> impressed with the Pro 500. A brief list of the
> enhancements include:
> - the addition of a pulse button for fingertip
> control
> - 3 new automatic settings for soups, frozen
> desserts and smoothies. Vitamix claims that
> these three auto setting will work for other types
> of recipies.
>
> Carry overs from the 5200 appear to include: 1)
> the 7 year warranty, 2) 2+ horsepower motor, 3)
> variable control giving the blender both variable
> and automatic control, a first for Vitamix. Not
> sure about market price. Williams Sonoma was
> charging about $500. Take a look at the video
> below if you want to know more. I've happy with
> my Blendtec but have to admit if I were buying
> today, the Pro 500 would make it much tougher for
> me not buy Vitamix it having added a pulse button
> and some automatic settings overcoming two of what
> I felt were missing features for me in a blender.
>
> Paul
>
> [www.vitamix.com]
> efault.asp
> [www.vitamix.com]
> efault.asp#player

What are the dimensions of the Pro 500 compared to the 5200? Same size, larger, smaller?

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: May 10, 2010 05:14PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> A most unusual video.....3 minutes long without
> once turning on the Vita-Mix.....WY

Wheatgrass Yogi,

I waited until the video was over and clicked inside the box and it loaded new videos with recipies where they turned on the blender.

Kref

Date: May 10, 2010 05:29PM

pborst Wrote:
> Some people like driving an automatic
> transmission. Some people like driving a stick
> shift.

this is a legitimate analogy for home use. in a professional environment preference is irrelevant - only performance counts. you don't get an option of manual or automatic on a Formula 1 - everybody gets the same paddle shifters.

same with blenders. once you are talking about a blender which must make hundreds of shakes per day they all have the same exact design - both Blendtec and Vitamix.

here is what i did as part of my research:

[www.bestsmoothiefranchise.com]

i visited shops from 2 out of these 5 smoothie chains and called shops of the other 3 to see what they used. 3 used a Vitamix, 2 used a Blendtec. The Vitamix used was mostly Blending Station and the Blendtec used was mostly Smoother Q Series. The two blenders are nearly identical:

both come with sound abatement cover
both come with 3 horsepower
both come with 3 year warranty
both come with digital touchpad and display
both come with ~ 30 preprogrammed presets
both come with a short fat container and no tamper
both come with a single blade that bends up at the tips
both can be installed in-counter ( for Vita-Mix you need to specify the in-counter model when ordering )

anyway, as i said i will be writing a complete review on my site, although i already revealed most of the information over the past 2 days here ...

Date: May 10, 2010 06:38PM

Neurosport,

Thanks for the thread hijack. Don't appreciate it really. I'm sure you did your research for your blender which is fine. I did mine as well. Do you have any comment on the Pro 500 which is the purpose of the thread? If so, would like to hear it. Otherwise, if you want to compare Vitamix and Blendtec, you are welcome to start your own thread. Thanks.

Paul

Date: May 10, 2010 08:25PM

pborst Wrote:
> Do you have any comment on the Pro 500 which is the
> purpose of the thread? If so, would like to hear
> it.

i already said what it is - a marketing gimmick. remember how there used to be a chevy, pontiac, oldsmobile, buick etc - and all would be the same exact car - that's exactly what's going on here.

actually when i talked with Vita-Mix on the phone their own people tell you that all these blenders are the same. Vita-Prep, 5200, 500 etc.

try it. call them. they don't bite. i spent about an hour or two on the phone with them in total during my research.

i also find it humorous that a home model has brushed stainless steel finish and called "professional series" while a professional model isn't called professional and is made out of plastic.

i personally think instead of like 5 different household and like 5 different commercial models VM should just have 2 models total - Vita Prep 3 and Blending Station Advance. all of the other ones are redundant.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2010 08:39PM by neurosport.

Date: May 10, 2010 08:40PM

"actually when i talked with Vita-Mix on the phone their own people tell you that all these blenders are the same. Vita-Prep, 5200, 500 etc."

All the same? Not by a long shot. A Vita Prep 3 has a 3 year warranty, A 4500 has a 5 year warranty, and a Vitamix 5200 and Pro 500 have a 7 year warranty.

The Vita Prep 3 has a more powerful motor 3HP compared to the others.

The 4500 doesn't have variable speed control.

All except the Pro 500 lack a pulse button or automatic settings.

All the same???? I don't think so.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2010 08:43PM by pborst.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 10, 2010 08:44PM

Krefcenz Wrote:
> I waited until the video was over and clicked
> inside the box and it loaded new videos with
> recipies where they turned on the blender.
Thanks....not the healthiest recipes, but it does
show how the Blender can be used....WY

Date: May 11, 2010 12:33AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> Krefcenz Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I waited until the video was over and clicked
> > inside the box and it loaded new videos with
> > recipies where they turned on the blender.
> Thanks....not the healthiest recipes, but it does
>
> show how the Blender can be used....WY

Agreed. Thanks Krefcenz.

Date: May 12, 2010 04:48AM

today i was at williams-sonoma store looking at food processors ( for my mom ) and they had both a 5200 and professional series 500 on display.

its the first time i saw vita-mix home models in person

all i can tell you is - get the Blending Station Advance. build quality is night and day. the 5200 and 500 both look they were made for Toys R Us in comparison. their base is twice as light. the plastic on the base is about 3 times as thin and about 30% thinner on the carafe. the blade is about half the size and carafe is about 70% the volume. the lid on the advance container also fits about twice as snug.

anyway the 500 professional series does look very pretty. the metallic finish is unbelievable considering that it is actually plastic. i wonder how long it will last before you scratch all the way through it - weeks ?

so far my only beef with BSA is the vibration - when it is on the counter it feels as if somebody is using a jackhammer a few feet away - the floor shakes violently under the feet. so thats definitely a major problem with BSA - i bet it wakes up my neighbors at night when i use it. oh well screw them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 04:53AM by neurosport.

Date: May 13, 2010 02:40PM

Neurosport,

I appreciate at least the veneer of a review of the 500. And I also think you should publish your own thread on the Blending Station Advance. You obviously like it, have researched and invested in it.

My view of the 500 is that of relative change vs. the 5200 for the home market and so that's my view of the what's helpful in a review. The BSA is marketed for commercial users and is warranted that way (3 years for a BSA vs. 7 years for a 5200 or Pro 500). The Vitamix warranty is based on assumptions about who is using it. A blender is going to endure higher use at a store the same way a piece of exercise equipment will get beat up more at a gym than in your home. For people paying for that, I understand. Thing of it is, how does it affect the performance of blended product? For a home user, does upgrading to a BSA produce a better smoothie? make a better nut butter? grind a better grain? That's the only metric I care about. Because, if I "upgrade" to a commercial model, I'm paying hundreds of dollars more for it, and losing warranty. If I don't see increased performance in the blender in terms of blended products, reduced oxidation, greater nutrient extraction, then I don't see the point. I would grant that a BSA is better built than a 5200 or 500. It has to be because it is designed for commercial use. But will it make a better smoothie, nut butter or milled grain for the average home user? I'm not proposing to answer those questions. But if I were in the market for a new blender, those would be questions I would want answered. Plainlydressed on this forum went through the same calculations in deciding between a 5200 and a Vita Prep 3. And in the end, she went with the 5200.

Paul

Date: May 14, 2010 02:06AM

pborst Wrote:
> Neurosport,
>
> I appreciate at least the veneer of a review of
> the 500. And I also think you should publish your
> own thread on the Blending Station Advance. You
> obviously like it, have researched and invested in
> it.
>
> My view of the 500 is that of relative change vs.
> the 5200 for the home market and so that's my view
> of the what's helpful in a review. The BSA is
> marketed for commercial users and is warranted
> that way (3 years for a BSA vs. 7 years for a 5200
> or Pro 500). The Vitamix warranty is based on
> assumptions about who is using it. A blender is
> going to endure higher use at a store the same way
> a piece of exercise equipment will get beat up
> more at a gym than in your home. For people
> paying for that, I understand. Thing of it is,
> how does it affect the performance of blended
> product? For a home user, does upgrading to a
> BSA produce a better smoothie? make a better nut
> butter? grind a better grain? That's the only
> metric I care about. Because, if I "upgrade" to a
> commercial model, I'm paying hundreds of dollars
> more for it, and losing warranty. If I don't see
> increased performance in the blender in terms of
> blended products, reduced oxidation, greater
> nutrient extraction, then I don't see the point.
> I would grant that a BSA is better built than a
> 5200 or 500. It has to be because it is designed
> for commercial use. But will it make a better
> smoothie, nut butter or milled grain for the
> average home user? I'm not proposing to answer
> those questions. But if I were in the market for
> a new blender, those would be questions I would
> want answered. Plainlydressed on this forum went
> through the same calculations in deciding between
> a 5200 and a Vita Prep 3. And in the end, she
> went with the 5200.
>
> Paul

very reasonable argumentation there Paul - good job. when looking at a problem from this angle we are in agreement. you get better value with home models because you don't have to pay for the expensive commercial warranty and the warranty that you do get is twice as long.

but for me this was a secondary consideration. because i expect either 5200 or BSA to last longer than 7 years. if i didn't think so i would just buy a $60 oster once a year.

my concern was that when you go to Vita-Mix commercial site, on the "beverage blenders" page:

[www.vitamix.com]

vita prep 3 is not listed. because IT IS NOT DESIGNED TO MAKE SMOOTHIES. and 5200 is nothing but a watered down version of Vita Prep 3.

since my intention was to make smoothies i wanted a blender that is designed for that. to be perfectly fair when i called vitamix they said either one would probably do just as well, because BSA is designed for smoothies but not designed for veggies and Vita Prep is designed for veggies but not for smoothies - you can't win !

real life smoothie performance ? i think both BSA and 5200 will achieve the same results but BSA will do it faster. by faster i don't mean in terms of how long it takes you to make the smoothie, but how long the motor spins. because with BSA you may need to stop it several times and shuffle the stuff around inside while with 5200 you would keep it running and use the plunger. so the total operator time may be less with 5200 but the total motor time will be less with BSA. If BSA doesn't need to work as much to prepare a smoothie ( because of more effective vortex ) then logically the machine should last longer before wearing out. i felt that was more important than the warranty difference. in addition to that the faster you can get the job done the colder your smoothie will be.

as far as nut butter ? BSA isn't designed for that. thats why i started the "blender vs food processor" thread. according to my current understanding you should be making nut butter in a food processor. this guy:

[www.robotcoupeusa.com]

but me being overweight the last thing i need is nut butter. therefore for the time being i went with a dedicated beverage blender and gonna have to do without nut butters.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 02:14AM by neurosport.

Date: May 14, 2010 02:35AM

check this bad boy out:

[www.youtube.com]

there is a special plastic blade that you can use to scrape off the food that stuck to the sides while it is blixing smiling smiley

so this is kinda like a tamper in vitamix.

very neat !

so when you need to grind meat or peanut butter or heavy stuff like that that's what you can use. i don't need that for now.

you can't really design a machine that processes both liquids and solids at maximum possible efficiency. and for the money you pay for Vita-Mix i don't think compromises are acceptable ! with a "magic bullet" fine, for $50 you can buy a machine that claims to do everything but actually is worthless. but for $400 you want a machine that excels at least at one thing.

in my current understanding i think you need 3 separate machines:

blender - very high rpm, little torque

food processor - medium rpm, medium torque

dough mixer - low rpm, very high torque

of course i only own a blender so i may be wrong.

Date: May 14, 2010 11:08AM

Neurosport,

I make nut butters, smoothies, and grind grains with my HP3A with no complaints. As far as the Vita Prep 3 and 5200 not being designed to make smoothies, I think the many youtube videos showing the smoothies and the many experiences on this forum and elsewhere demonstrating Vitamix home blenders making good smoothies speaks for itself. You may be correct about motor time. Don't know. That isn't what I meant when I said performance. To me performance is how effectively the feed material is broken down with little or no nutrient loss. If you are saying motor time is a proxy for performance, I guess I don't have an opinion. It could be. But I would want a more outcome oriented measure such as blended material temperature and/or analysis of nutrient quality.

Paul

Posted by: RaysofLight ()
Date: June 08, 2010 03:34PM

Vita Mix is the best! I have no problem with seeds at all, it breaks them down when I use it. They also offer a standard 7 year warranty. We bought several high end blenders thru Costco-we went through about 1-2 a year. They just burned out.
We love the Vita-Mixer-definitely worth the cost.

I use my Vita-Mix everyday at least 2 xs a day. B-T brand isn't used in places like Optimal Health Institute or Ann Wigmore or Creative Health for a reason...These places need performance and they depend on Vita-Mix on a daily basis because they are reliable, dependable and easy to use. These facilities are very "High Use" as they prepare 3 meals a day for their clients- not to mention snacks...In fact, you can order a Vita-Mix and get an in home trial in your own kitchen for 30 days absolutely, positively RISK-FREE!

Vita-Mix even has a 3 payment purchase program too! Call 1-800-848-2649 Press ext:2310 (Barbara) and be sure to use my affiliate code 06-005-062 to get FREE SHIPPING and 30 minute FREE Consultation. Your purchase helps support the website-so thank you in advance to help keep this community service going!

Make your first payment and receive your Vitamix machine right away upon credit approval. Last two payments are automatically charged to your credit card 30 and 60 days later!
They also have re-conditioned models for $379-You save $70 and get all all the benefits! Get the same 7 yr warranty, brand new container, new blades, 2 cook books and DVD, new packaging-just like new. These were used in Demos or 30 trial offer.

Click below for FREE SHIPPING and a free 30 minute consultation (A $60.00 value) with a living and raw foods expert:
[www.livingfoodvillage.com]

Unfortunately they have dis-abled my links then copy and paste:
/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=

Here's to You Health!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables