Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sound enclosures for noisy blenders, Gimmick or Legit?
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 20, 2010 02:36AM

Now, my Blendtec is noisy, I will grant you. But a once a day or twice a day blend for 30 seconds or less can't justify $100 for the sound enclosure that these folks are asking. Interesting idea. They claim it reduces 100 decibels down to 65 decibels (I don't believe that, with just acrylic?). Anyway, what do you think? The kits are $10 to $20 less expensive and they say the price will be coming down. I think I'm inclined to pass. Thoughts? Paul

[www.3blenders.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sound enclosures for noisy blenders, Gimmick or Legit?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 20, 2010 02:41AM

Yeah, normal acrylic shouldnt reduce decibels that much, especially since that doesnt look very thick,you could make a box, line it with cork, then if you still wanted to be able tosee what was going on inside, make a small window on he door made out of acrylic so you can see in, but most of the sound would still be dampened, you could do that for $20 or less depending on the availability of materials in your areagrinning smiley

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 20, 2010 10:48AM

My thought is to purchase a $6.00 pair of ear protectors at Harbor Freight - that is what I did & they work great. I need to use them when I blend and also when using my Norwalk.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 20, 2010 06:08PM

ROFLMAO... definitely a more practical solution than mine katz,lol...

Posted by: neurosport ()
Date: May 22, 2010 04:32AM

i wear howard leight ear muffs when i blend even though my blender has its own sound cover.

i have both earplugs and earmuffs and you want the earmuffs, trust me. why ? because earplugs are difficult to position properly in the ear canal - takes about half a minute - while the earmuffs take about 2 seconds to put on.

also if your fingers are wet when you touch the foam earplugs well eh - you get the point.

i wear earplugs when i go to gym. i use ear muffs when i blend.

the sound cover is to help OTHER PEOPLE in the kitchen, not you. it is not nearly as effective as ear muffs AND YOU WILL NEED TO CLEAN IT !

if your family is complaining about the noise i would rather sell the blender on craigslist or ebay and get one that comes with a sound cover than buy the cover separately. when its a factory cover you can still ( unless you bought a blendtec LOL ) operate the blender ( press buttons ) when the cover is closed. also when its a factory cover it doesn't block the air circulation around the motor ( that is you don't have the blender sucking its own exhaust air back into the cooling system ).

you better not leave your blender running for extended periods of time inside that acrylic box or it will cook itself in there.

if i had a choice between ear muffs and sound enclosure ( whether factory or bootleg ) i would definitely go with ear muffs even for the same price. blendtec claims its sound enclosure lowers noise by 10 decibel - i can believe THAT. but ear muffs reduce noise by 30 decibel ... of course as i said i use both.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2010 04:41AM by neurosport.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables