Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Omega 8003/8005
Posted by: bpbhoo ()
Date: August 25, 2006 12:56AM

Hi--I would love some feedback on the Omega 8003/8005 juicer. Thanks!

(I will be juicing carrots, celery, cucumber, squash and leafy greans)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Omega 8003/8005
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 05, 2006 07:22AM

Yeah pretty much don't even waste your time and money. I think after maybe not even 50 cycles of using it, the alignment started to get all out of wack and then it starts to generate loud squeals from friction with the steal grater and the plastic grinding tube or whatever it's called. I'm actually going to try to get a refund because I seriously can't stand it. Even the clean up is a waste of time. Plus you really need to be getting all those phytochemicals from the pulp and skins. Invest in a good blender. It's your best bet. But if really want a juicer, I suggest using it only for watermelon, cantelope, and pineapple, since they don't tend to leave much pulp behind.

Date: September 07, 2006 10:41AM

i totally disagree, it depends on what you are juicing obviously. For Leafy Greens this juicer is excellent ! Be aware NO single auger juicer can juice hard vegs like Carrots, Celery, Cucumbers etc as well as a Centrifugal. Yea i know the cents have some oxidation in the juice and so on...but the BEST combo is to use a cheaper cent for the hard vegs and use your Omega for the leafy greens...this combo cant be beat ! tahts the best advice ull hear on juicing, simple direct and it works, try it. and remember NO JUICER does everything well... it depends on what ur juicing, and this information im sharing with you ive learned on my own and i know for a fact it works cause ive owned every juicer out there practically except norwalk.

Dave

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: September 10, 2006 09:42PM

HygieneGuy - you summed it all up perfectly. 100%. By the way, since we are talking about juicing leafy greens here - - do you find that they taste unbelievably bad, even when some Granny Smith Apples & lemon juice are added? I just juiced some Creasy Greens (land cress) & turnip tops & parsley plus a few other things straight from the garden, and I am sure this cocktail is mighty healthful, but, gee, the taste is beyond belief, it's so bad. Any suggestions?

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: September 11, 2006 06:00AM

Add ginger! It makes all vegetable based drinks taste better!

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: September 12, 2006 02:24AM

Thanks, VeganLife, for your suggestion to add ginger!

Posted by: bpbhoo ()
Date: September 22, 2006 12:51AM

Well, I did get the Omega 8003...the number of positive reviews I had read far outwweighed the negative. Still, I was still a bit apprehensive but as I am juicing for my mother who has cancer I could not afford to take too long on my decision.

Well, my apprehensions were justified. I do not really like the 8003. The mush gets trapped inside and and there is a lot of wastage. and yes, (thanks Andrew Hilton),it has squeaked from day one. I called Omega and of course they said that that was normal. Also, liquid gets trapped behind the rubber gasket in the cap and I have to pry to off each time to clean it. Also, the grinding of the auger makes the whole front wiggle. The design of the machine could really be improved upon.

I am not very happy with the juicer but the centrifugal we started with is so noicy and it doesn't juice very well either.

Good thing I have decided, on the advice of some of you and from my own research and common sense to concentrate more on the whole vegetable/fruit.

Thanks again everyone! Sha

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: October 07, 2006 10:25PM

sha-

i just jumped on this link. i bought my omega a few years ago, and was very disappointed. not only was the machine hard to clean up and inconstant, but the directions in the manual actually caused me to burn a 'nozzle' (what the hell are those for?) onto the blank. i followed the directions and they wanted me to mail the pieces back to see if they qualified for a refund. i was pissed.

i had a champion before from the old days (my mom-in-law's from the 80's or so) and so when i found one of those for free i picked it up.

so here's what i do, like they said above, greens in the omega, it does those well, and nuts, if you want them not into butter, as well as frozen fruits, like banana, since it makes a firmer sorbet.
but everything else in my champion since it's more dependable, quicker, and even though it is a bit violent to the produce, i drink it all immediately. pick up a cheap centrifical if you like, but if whole veggies are doing it for you, then continue with what's working.

peace,
Mama Cass

Date: October 16, 2006 08:32PM

You may also wish to mix it two-thirds carrots, one-third greens. That will certainly help.

I also have been using Dr. Bragg's Organic raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar. I will often add between a teaspoon and a tablespoon to the juices I expect to be a little nasty. It actually helps. Try it, you'll like it. If you google Dr. Bragg's Vinegar, you'll read some very interesting information about it.

Good luck.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: October 18, 2006 05:43AM

i enjoy it very much. i think it is a great investment. mmmm.. =)

Posted by: Petals ()
Date: October 28, 2006 03:25AM

I love my Omega 8005. I have had it for a few months now, and haven't had one problem with it. It is quiet, easy to clean and pop together, and makes great juice with greens and hard veggies and even wheatgrass. Also makes yummy other stuff like shredded coconut, raw almond butter ect.

I was using a juice fountain prior to getting it, and I gave it to a relative who is discoverng juicing now.

Date: March 05, 2007 03:57PM

I've used my Omega 5000 daily for over a year now.I love it. I did get juice behind the rubber gasket once, but it was no big deal to take a few screws out and clean it. That was several months ago and it hasn't leaked since. I also clean my juicer straight after juicing and I have the cleaning down to a science, only taking less then a minute (its better to clean it straight away, just rinse it under the tap to get rid of the pulp and then I use a baby bottle brush with hot soapy water).
The only thing that I don't like about it is when I try to juice apples, the pulp mesh filter gets clogged up quickly and I have to rinse it, now I don't use the apples and stick to just the vegetables. My fav is carrot, spinach and celery.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 08, 2007 09:21AM

it's cool. i find it very helpful. great w greens. remember to lube up the shaft and cover w coconut oils so it doesn't squeak. i think it's very good for the price. worth it if u are primarily interested in juicing greens.

i used to add apple for the bitterness, but now i only add just a litte bit of lemon because it tastes fresher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables