Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vitamix and Wheatgrass Juicing
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 28, 2006 04:47AM

Hi, I'm told that the Vitamix does a good job with wheatgrass juicing. Does thatb hold true with the older 3600 model, as well?
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vitamix and Wheatgrass Juicing
Posted by: Galileo ()
Date: August 30, 2006 02:13AM

The goodness in whetgrass comes from the juice inside the cells. The cells are made from celulose which the human stomach cannot digest because its too tough but which some mammals such as cows can.

To get the juice out of whetgrass you need to juice. The vitamix or other power blenders would need to smash the cells of the wheatgrass at a cellular level to get the juice out. I am not sure if these blenders have that amount of power. Maybe others will know.

Galileo

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: August 30, 2006 12:37PM

Chazz,

No, what you've been told is incorrect. Neither the vitamix or my favorite, the ktec hp3, are able to juice wheatgrass juice. They are both high-powered blenders and aren't capable of juicing anything.

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: October 10, 2009 07:09PM

From what we sell I have to give the Lexen manual wheatgrass juicer first place. The quality, price, and performance are great. We sell about 10-15 units per month and it leads all other juicers we sell at our store www.SharpWebLabs.com and www.FloridaHerbHouse.com. Just our 2 cents!

:-)

Stephen C. Sharp

Posted by: jonl138 ()
Date: October 10, 2009 07:30PM

I would not use a blender for wheatgrass juice but if you choose to do it this way you will need to blend the wheatgrass and then strain it through a nutmilk bag

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 10, 2009 08:10PM

jonl138 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if you choose to do it this way you will need to
> blend the wheatgrass and then strain it through a
> nutmilk bag
A stainless steel Strainer might also
work. There's something about squeezing it all through a
plastic (or cotton) bag that doesn't appeal to me.....WY

Date: November 07, 2009 11:50PM

True - true, unless you are straining you can't really "juice" in your Vita-Mix. Then again, you don't have to.

You can add wheatgrass to your green smoothies since teh Vitamix does break down cell walls. Just be sure to chop or cut into 1/2 inch pieces before adding or else you'll get grassy lumps.

enjoy!

Date: November 22, 2009 03:08PM

Good Morning,

I am bit confused. If the Blendtec 20amp is able to breakdown food to its smallest level, surely it can fracture the cell walls of the wheatgrass to release the chlorophyll inside. If one was to place wheatgrass in a regular run-of-the-mill blender (with a little water) and turn it on, the water would become green. Now, I am not saying that it’s the most efficient means to extract the chlorophyll and nutrients, but doesn’t the presence of green chlorophyll in the water indicate that some is being released?

I am considering purchasing the 20amp Blentec and currently have the VitaMix Super 5000. I put WheatGrass in their yesterday (with a little ice and water) and after about 20 seconds, I had wheatgrass water. I strained the mixture through a fine strainer and drank… yes, it tasted like grass winking smiley Again, is that not evidence of the wheatgrass nutrients that I am striving for?

I have read about the Samson, Omega, etc.. juicers, but I have never been into separating the natural vegetable fiber from the juice (hence the Vitamix that liquefies everything). If the Samson yields a much higher concentration of Wheatgrass juice, then I might get it. But if the delta is less than 15-20%, why spend the money?

If anyone has insight, I welcome and appreciate your time and response.

Regards,
Eric

p.s. does anyone know the difference between the Blendtec 20amp Symbiotic unit and the regular Blendtec 20amp unit? I read that the Symbiotic is considered an AfterMarket model…does that mean anything? Is that good or bad?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables