Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Questions about Juicing
Posted by: Punkrotten ()
Date: August 10, 2010 04:42AM

Hi guys,

I am new to the raw food diet. I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I can make a good transition. I do love drinking smoothies and juice so I wanted to learn more about it. I have some questions about mixing fruits and veggies. According to food combining charts/articles I have read, it says fruits should always be eaten alone, for best digestion. But I see alot of juices and smoothies mixing fruits and veggies.

Another thing is, how do you figure out good combinations? I know a few myself already, plus I look at recipes. But how do you get more creative about it, how do you know what works good together and taste good? Is there something I can look at online to get more ideas?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions about Juicing
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 10, 2010 04:49AM

well, carrot is a good basis ive found for any beginning juicer, as most people like it, its very sweet, I do carrot and kale all the time and its quite tasty, If you have a decent blender, or at least one you can easily sharpen, ive done a carrot and OJ smoothie be4 that was fairly good, as well as ones with kale, but i mostly juice now... I can post a few recipes ive done and liked for juicing if youd like, and for smoothies, but I dont know about most of the food combining stuff, I just think that any way I get good stuff into me, in any combination that is enjoyable, is better than nothing... banana seems to be a major help with any smoothie...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: August 10, 2010 05:26AM

Sure, if you want go ahead and post some recipes. Thanks

Yeah Im not sure about the food combing thing that much either. I get stomach bloating so its an important thing to me.

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: August 10, 2010 12:45PM

Tender leafy greens (e.g. romaine, iceberg, mesculin, boston lettuce) digest very well with all fruits. Cucumber and celery also digest well with fruits.

The 3 combinations to avoid are sugar and fat (e.g. dates and avocado), starch and acid (e.g. bananas and oranges), and fat and fat (e.g. avocado and pistachios). The sugar-fat combo is the main one.

One more: melon is best eaten by itself without other fruits (though there's no problem eating it with greens in a smoothie, for instance).

Hope that helps!

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Date: August 10, 2010 05:59PM

Thanks for that info.

Date: August 10, 2010 09:49PM

with juices, I love a basic carrot & Kale, sometimes with a bit of celery.

Carrot, kale, celery, then blended with a tomato is good, ive juiced seaweed with this combo and had it come out tasting like a bloody mary...

Watermelon rind is by far my favorite thing to juice so far, it was super amazing with everything I mixed it with...and by itself! Little bit of lemon can help with any juice you make too... My time juicing is much less than many others on here, so they have probably thought of some more combos I haven't yet, Ive used a number of herbs in my juicing too, lemon thyme has been interestinggrinning smiley

With smoothies, banana is your best friend when your starting out, its sweet and adds creaminess to a smoothie, blackberries REALLY cover up the taste of kale if you are making a green smoothie and need something to help you get used to it, but if you dont have a really expensive blender, the seeds may make them more annoying than is worth it to you... banana does just fine for mesmiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 11, 2010 06:29PM

Thanks for all the info smiling smiley

Date: August 12, 2010 12:24PM

NP, anytime, I completely forgot to mention dandelion greens, those are great for ya, but not by themselves, far to bitter...for me at least... I can drink it, but its far more palatable with a little carrot, or watermelon rind, Ive also been using lemon balm and lemon thyme...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 12, 2010 09:02PM

I have a question about watermelon rind. Are you talking about the actual rind that most people discard?

Date: August 13, 2010 07:28AM

yup, exactly that! i wash the outside thoroughly before I cut into it originally to eat the melon, that way if there are any surface contaminants they dont get moved to the inside of the melon, then I slice me some melon, scoop it off the rind into my bowl (or just eat it off the rind, but that reduces how long you can safely store the rind.) and within the next 1-3 days max I juice it with whatever else I feel like juicingsmiling smiley its deliciousgrinning smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 13, 2010 05:09PM

I read that apples are the mediator between fruits and veggies.
Apples combine well with any veggie juice.

Vinny

Date: August 13, 2010 06:58PM

I went and got some beets, carrots, kale, wheatgrass, lemons, apples, celery, ginger, bananas, mango, fennel bulb, red cabbage, grapes, asparagus, cucumber, romaine lettuce, and oranges.

Out of these what combos would you recommend?

Ive done apples, ginger, lemon already.

I know the Carrot Kale combo as already mentioned.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Date: August 14, 2010 09:08AM

orange and carrot is always delicious... mango I just eat...mmmmm....used to blend with it though, mango, banana, kale....

beet, kale, celery could be a sweet and refreshing combination, cucumber & celery could be a really clean, light, and refreshing/cleansing combo.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 14, 2010 05:27PM

Nice, I will try those. I'm going to try and have a green smoothie every morning. I drink water with lemon first. Then I wait about 20 mins before I eat anything.

Date: August 16, 2010 09:50AM

little bit of lemon with just about anything tastes good...lol.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 18, 2010 02:02AM

food combining is bunk. We didn't evolve on such a prescriptive regimen. No data to suggest food combining improves health outcomes. If you do combine and it works for you, no harm no foul But it's likely placebo. smiling smiley

Paul

Date: August 18, 2010 02:53AM

I agree, for the most part, but I know it is not placebo that if I eat something high in fat/protein right be4 allot of fruit or juice, things just dont sit right in my stomach... other than that, I dont think food combining really matters, as ive not had a single issue in any other kinda situation...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 04, 2010 02:26PM

You may find a lot of your answers @ [easyjuicingrecipes.com]

Date: October 04, 2010 02:32PM

I sent a reply, not sure it posted. [easyjuicingrecipes.com]

Date: November 03, 2010 03:24AM

I use carrot juice for my base in vegetable juices. My favorite is carrot, beet, celery, and spinach. Sometimes I will throw in a fruit such as carrot, ginger root, beet, and granny smith apple. I also like pear and apple juice. Adding greens to any juice or smoothie is a great idea and it tastes good. I use collard greens quite a bit. There are also juice recipe books at [www.BarleyDistributor.com]

Hope this helps.

Posted by: kalejuicer ()
Date: November 09, 2011 03:45AM

You make my Juice for Highly Evolved Warlocks (thank you, Charlie Sheen). I formulated it in April for mental performance and mood. I juice carrot-kale-celery-tomato in equal amounts. I think it is the mildest vegetable juice I make.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables