Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Omega Vert-Best Juicer for Me (Tips)
Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: September 12, 2010 01:36PM

I'm back to juicing again and now that I have figured out different ways for it to be more effective, I am very happy with how simple the Omega Vert is, especially compared to the other juicers I've tried. It's perfect for people who want to incorporate juicing or fasting into their lives, but can't devote much time and energy to it. Here's some tips that work for me, that may help others who don't have much experience.

*Remember that the Omega Vert practically juices itself, so most of the time you can allow it to suck in the produce without the tamper. If something gets stick, just reverse the on/off switch & it'll unstick it. It's so simple.

*For less wear & tear on the motor: Always cut all large produce beforehand. This is true for all juicers even when it's not revealed by the manufacturer. This can be done very quickly by cutting lengthwise. It's actually much easier once you figure out how to cut each type of fruit or vegetable. An electric chopper or other gadget can speed up this process, though produce doesn't need to be that small. Melon juice is super easy because you don't need to remove the peel or de-seed it.

*Greens: Use adult leaves, not baby, & roll them tightly lengthwise before adding to juicer. The harder greens like cabbage tend to work best-just don't overdo it. Celery is a great alternative mineral source & juices very well in the Vert.

*To get out more juice: As you're juicing, periodically re-feed the pulp into the chute. (I do this while it's on, though you can stop & start it as well.)

*To Clean: Run water through the juicer twice & you'll find it's very quick to finish cleaning afterwards, especially the filter. I do this and I never need to spend time scrubbing with the brush as I've always had to do with other juicers. Also, line the pulp bin with a bag for quick changing while juicing & to keep clean.

*Make sure you undo the plug before cleaning & put it back in when done. If you can remember to undo it before running water through it for cleaning, it'll be even more effective. This is really a bonus step though and not necessary.

*It helps to use mostly produce that creates a larger yield of juice such as cucumbers and carrots versus items that give very little or just add flavor.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Omega Vert-Best Juicer for Me (Tips)
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 12, 2010 07:00PM

GG.....Very nice report. John Kohler recommended
the Omega Vert when it first came out, so I'm sure many
people can use your Tips.....WY

Posted by: shazz150 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 07:26PM

Gilmore Girl,
I own a Hurom slow juicer and am so frustrated with it because of all the extra pulp in the juice. You don't mention the pulp so I'm wondering if you've found a way to get just juice without having to use the 2 step process with a nut mylk bag. The amount of pulp is just unbelievable for a juicer and I just wish more people had emphasized that in their reviews. I certainly would not have purchased it had I realized just how much pulp is left in the juice.
The quality of the juice is great, but the extra time is ruining any love I might have had for this single auger, slow juicer.

Any tips would be welcomed!
Shazz

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 15, 2010 04:26PM

Shazz,

Why not just use the nutmilk bag? After I juice, it takes me less than half a minute to squeeze out what's left. If you want to explore ways to minimize the pulp without using a nutmilk bag, slow down the feed rate and follow the other tips that John Kohler points out in his video: [www.youtube.com]

Paul

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 15, 2010 04:48PM

Exception, I don't like his plug modification. O/w it makes sense.

Posted by: shazz150 ()
Date: September 20, 2010 09:21PM

Thanks for the link Paul, I tried juicing with the bag lining the container and it was much quicker than before. Guess this will have to do because I'm pretty much stuck with this juicer and I was already aware of all his other tips besides cutting off a piece of the plug. I'm with you on that one, I'm not about to go that far!

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback.
Much appreciated.
Shazz

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: September 20, 2010 09:57PM

Yeah, I wouldn't cut the plug either. Just cut the produce in smaller chunks, especially stringy vegs, feed slower, rotate the produce and it should all work

out well. The sprout bag method is probably a good one, but it is an extra step that I don't want to hassle with. I will use a S/S or plastic strainer though.

Posted by: jlbff ()
Date: October 05, 2010 07:24PM

great tips! i love my vert too. im saving to buy for someone for a christmas gift. i hope u will still have it GG because you got the best price i found. otherwise i guess i'll be saving for even longer-lol.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: October 28, 2010 06:14AM

What is the noise level of this juicer, I am looking into get one for work.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: November 07, 2010 11:19PM

Very, very quiet. I never even really think about it, but it's a nice bonus. Guess I'm so use to the loud vitamix that noise normallu doesn't even phase me. Unless I'm trying a blendtec. That thing is ridiculous, think you can get hearing loss from it.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables