Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone have experience with a factory reconditioned Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: September 17, 2010 10:39PM

This doesn't mean it was broken and then fixed, right?
I'm thinking of taking the plunge after my 3rd blender broke.

I'm wondering if Vitamix 5200 can handle frozen bananas. I admit, I get lazy and just break them in half and toss them in. Probably why I've gone through 3 blenders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have experience with a factory reconditioned Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: September 18, 2010 04:37AM

Don't know about the 5200 specifically, but I bought a reconditioned Vitamix TNC in 1996 - and it's been going strong ever since. Only once have a had to do any repairs; two years ago I had the container blades changed, and that's been it. However I know the one I have is one of the better Vitamix selections, so don't know if this actually helps you out any or not!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 16, 2010 10:47PM

hello, I bought a reconditioned vitamix 5000 2.5 years ago. It is working as good as when I purchased it so far. I have not had to buy anything or repair it in any way. I burned out 2 blenders in 6 months which is why I bought vitamix. I ordered mine straight from vitamix and it comes with a pretty good warranty. I have blended frozen bananas for icecream in mine many times and have also made nut butters in it without any problems. I think the reconditioned are just as good as new and it saves some money as well. Hope that helps

Date: November 05, 2010 12:08PM

I don't know what Vitamix recommends re this topic. But using an Oster Fusion for frozen smoothies, I place two ice cubes in the bottom of the blender first thing, before adding other ingredients. I read to do this because it cools the motor and keeps from burning it out.

I owned a cheaper Oster before the Fusion and it got heavy use for years. In fact, it was a hand-me-down. I only bought the Fusion because I dropped the container on a hard tile floor and it shattered.

Good luck!

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: November 07, 2010 11:17PM

The reconditioned Vitamix directly from the company is really good because they make it as close to new as possible. Plus you have the full warranty. So if one isn't going to get new, this is definitely the next best choice.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 23, 2010 09:04AM

I wouldn't take the chance with a reconditioned Vita-Mix 5200. A new one is only $50 more.....WY

Date: December 28, 2010 02:48AM

I just bought a reconditioned unit from vitamix, it was nearly half the price. Let you know what I think when I've had it for a while but it comes with the same warranty as a new one so I think it will be fine.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 28, 2010 11:18AM

half the price? from the vitamix website? the reconditioned one im looking at is only $70 less... if theres one for half somewhere with full warranty, I just might spend the last of my food money savings to buy it,hahaha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: December 28, 2010 02:31PM

Mine was nearly $200 off the listed price. I don't see a refurbished one listed on their site at the moment, keep googling it I guess.

Date: December 28, 2010 02:33PM

[secure.vitamix.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 28, 2010 02:42PM

Wow, that is a Completely different site than the one I get in Canada! Still, $100 cheaper.

Date: December 28, 2010 03:01PM

its only $70 less than the set they sell in the main product section for $450
[secure.vitamix.com]

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 28, 2010 03:44PM

[secure.vitamix.com]

Totally different site, weird! I don't care, I got free shipping to my mom's in the states from Cali and it should be there first week of Jan. I'm SUPER excited. I'm going to mod a sweet potato soup recipe and make it right in the carafe.

Onion
Garlic
Ginger
Sprouted lentils
Sweet potato
Carrots
Curry
Cashews to make it creamy.

I'm gonna use that thing like a tank man, I'll have to chew gum to keep my jaw in shape grinning smiley

Date: December 28, 2010 03:50PM

well, either way, its awesome you got sucha great deal on yoursgrinning smiley It would almost be worth moving to canada to get that good of a deal on a vitamix, lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: EricEatRealFood ()
Date: March 22, 2013 08:10PM

Hi all. We've been rocking a factory reconditioned Vitamix 5200 for a year and a half, now. I would recommend going the reconditioned route to anyone, even if money is no object.

I live in Cleveland, Ohio, and have a few friends who work at Vitamix. They told me the reconditioned units are simply returns (often not even used once) or units that have been used for photo shoots or in-house demonstrations. The units are all inspected by the same quality assurance team that inspects new units, and must meet all the same QA requirements.

Also, when you buy one, you get a new bin, tamper and lid. The base is the only part that has been reconditioned.

I posted a review of ours: [eatrealfood.ws] , hopefully it will be helpful/informative.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: March 22, 2013 09:58PM

EricEatRealFood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
..... We've been rocking a factory reconditioned Vitamix 5200 for a year and a half, now.

Very nice review!! I especially like the way you clean the container after making Peanut Butter. That would be a good way to clean the container no matter what was blended.
Gotta give that a try......WY

Posted by: EricEatRealFood ()
Date: March 25, 2013 05:15PM

Thank you, WheatgrassYogi. :-)

Date: April 06, 2013 07:23PM

Have one, love it. Mine's fire engine red winking smiley.

Posted by: janetc ()
Date: May 11, 2013 12:03PM

I am unnaturally attached to my vitamix! Possibly because I've never spent so much money on a kitchen appliance in my entire life.

I REALLY wanted the fire engine red vitamix but the reason I didn't get it (weird) was because I thought it would be the first thing that a thief would take if they broke into my house!

So I got the plain ol' black one, and do not regret my decision. I only wish I had bought one sooner.

Posted by: jlbff ()
Date: May 14, 2013 02:38AM

I got mine for $329 here and I love it! I talked to people that have had theirs for years and it still works just as well.

[secure.vitamix.com]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 14, 2013 05:18PM

jlbff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got mine for $329 here and I love it! I talked
> to people that have had theirs for years and it
> still works just as well.
>
> [secure.vitamix.com]
> -003694

Did that include free shipping? I got mine about two years ago and paid about $415 for a refurbished model. Not too much cheaper than a new one but it's been great. Yours is an even better deal! Is the carafe BPA-free, though? I think they had 5200s that were not BPA-free at first. Maybe it's so cheap because they're unloading the old ones?

Posted by: jlbff ()
Date: August 11, 2013 02:12PM

Banana who,sorry I didn't see your question till now. I'm not on here too much. Yes, reconditioned Vitamix 5200 is with free shipping and 64oz BPA-Free container.

Also, I use frozen bananas in my Vitamix all the time and haven't had any problems.

I was comparing it to several other blender models that supposedly work well and still have come to the conclusion I'd get another Vitamix in the future if/when I'd need another one.

Posted by: MillieNeon ()
Date: September 01, 2013 05:42PM

Had the regular 5200 for years, then gave it away when I thought I was moving to a place that had one. Wound up not moving, so bought a reconditioned one. The only difference was it had a new top, which was better. It's still my favorite appliance, runs great. Love my Vitamix.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables