Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

leftover from blending too much..
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 22, 2010 05:11PM

I usually get excited when I blend and I throw in too many things (sometimes up to 15 ingredients 4 of which are fruits another 3 or 4 greens). When I have leftovers that I keep in the fridge for later I taste the difference in freshness and it tastes a little dead to me. Is it less beneficial to drink the blended juice later, do I lose any nutrients in the process?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: leftover from blending too much..
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: September 22, 2010 06:48PM

lol, I tend to do the same thing! It is probably best to ease yourself out of that practice, as I am sure nutrients are lost from sitting.

However, I am usually pressed for time during the day, so what I do is blend all that up & put it in 3 or 4 shaker cups to take with me throughout the day.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 23, 2010 05:47AM

yeah, i agree

it does taste dead to me after a while as well

but hey.. if you are out and about all day and don't have time or the luxury to break out the blender 2 or 3 times a day every time you want it fresh

u might just put up with it anyhow smiling smiley

but if you are able to be home most of the time and make it fresh

then just scrutinize how much it takes to make the exact batch u want fresh
and measure it with greater precision next time

either that, or give the leftovers to your friends, family members or neighbors

have a leftover smoothie party

smiling smiley

Date: September 24, 2010 05:45PM

Hi!
This is a near and dear subject to me and I may have a solution for you. My husband and I drink green smoothies through out the day and every other morning I make up a big batch of green smoothie, enough to fill a vitamix container. I invested in a box of mason jar mugs and a Pump and Seal (http://www.pump-n-seal.com/). The pump and seal removes the excess air from the jars and the drinks keep for a good few days and taste just as fresh and actually taste even better after a few hours in the fridge. Has been a life saver and food saver. Now we take green smoothie with us everywhere. Works great on fresh juices too.
I hope this helps.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 25, 2010 04:49AM

hi jenlovesjay ( cool name btwsmiling smiley

where do u get mason jars

can u clean them out well? since they are glass, do you just store it in the fridge

what about when you take them to go... how do you store it an cool it?

checked out the site but still not sure how it works

will it work on vegetable JUICE as well?

any recommendations for pulling it off

do u recommend i get glass mason jars too?

Date: September 27, 2010 04:15PM

Hola, sorry it took me so long to respond.
Answers below:

where do u get mason jars-
I ordered a box of 24 glass mason jar mugs online, dont remember where, sorry. But any type of jar would work, doesnt have to be mason. I now also save jars for this use or if I find a deal at the thrift store will buy them up. I think along the lines of 16oz or so, as much as I can drink in a short time.

can u clean them out well? since they are glass, do you just store it in the fridge -
I liked the idea of the glass mason jars because they dont stain like plasic containers, they are easy to clean and glass gives you a clean taste.
I do store the drinks in the fridge. Ice cold smoothie is the best.

what about when you take them to go... how do you store it an cool it?
I bring a cooler with me every where, because I usually only eat my own prepared foods, I have various sizes and styles of coolers. I place the jars of green drinks in the cooler with blue ice or those flexible blue ice packs they now carry. Works well for a typical 8 hr work day but will need to refreeze or replace ice for longer trips.

checked out the site but still not sure how it works -
Here are some details on how the Pump n Seal works. You make your green smoothies, fill as many mason jars as necessary. I usually fill them about 3/4 full cuz I like to add more water when I reopen and drink them. A small hole is punched into the top of the mason jar lid, (punch included w/pumpnseal). Then place the yellow tab over the hole that comes with the pump sealer. You use the pump to suck out any air through the hole you made. The yellow tabs allow for the air to be removed and seal off the air from reentering. You remove just enough air before any gets sucked out through the hole you created, as the air is removed the drink expands towards the top. The removal of the air helps to preserve the drink, sort of like canning but without the boiling water.

will it work on vegetable JUICE as well?
Works great with veggie juice, carrot juice holds well too for a day or so but not much longer.

do u recommend i get glass mason jars too?
I would recommend mason jars if you will be using the pump n seal. You may be able to find solid plastic drink containers that would work out well for you for this but just keep in mind that the pump n seal sucks out the air so you need something that wont collapse on itself.

When I get the chance,hopefully in the next few days, I will try to put together a quick You Tube video on how this works. I will be sure to post the link on here so you can take a look.

Hope this helps,
Jennifer

Date: September 27, 2010 04:33PM

I found this video with some good information and how to use the pump n seal on jars.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 27, 2010 11:05PM

Here is how I do it:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 28, 2010 02:00PM

If you blend too much, you might as well throw out
what you can't consume within a 15 minute period of time.
There is so much air whipped into a smoothie, that it begins
to Oxidize almost immediately, Pump-n-Seal or no.....WY

Date: September 28, 2010 08:47PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you blend too much, you might as well throw out
>
> what you can't consume within a 15 minute period
> of time.
> There is so much air whipped into a smoothie, that
> it begins
> to Oxidize almost immediately, Pump-n-Seal or
> no.....WY

Give me some references, WY... smiling smiley

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 28, 2010 09:36PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Give me some references, WY... smiling smiley
Brian Clement uses the 15-minute figure for Juicing,
and says that Blending is worse than Juicing (even with a
Norwalk). Ask him where he gets his information....WY

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 28, 2010 10:10PM

Ok. I have seen his videos in the pasty where he talks about juicing & nutrient loss. Jay Kordich mentions this as well. I was just wondering if there was any scientific data avail. where I could read more about it.

Not saying it isn't true, but simply wanting to read more about it from scientific sources. Transparency in the movement & all that...

Date: October 03, 2010 07:08PM

I'm new at raw food diet and a bodybuilder. So blending my meals with organic spinach, carrots, celery, and rice protien is really good for me? How often can i do this and should I ad anything else to the mix? I eat my fruit smoothie early in morning by the way then veggies day and night.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables