Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Juicer: About to push the order button
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 05, 2010 01:05PM

New poster here but I have spent time reading various posts on this topic.

I have been researching the juicer topic for months. I have owned two juicers, a small cheap one, then the Jack Lalanne before I spent time looking into the matter. My husband wants to start juicing now too. We don't need to juice fruits other than the occasional apple to sweeten for him.

I have driven myself crazy over this. Read countless articles and watched endless videos.

I want a slow juicer. If it has a bunch of parts to have to clean, I'll be frustrated and my husband will certainly never use or clean it. I don't mind putting the pulp through again or straining. I also will have use for the pulp for raw crackers or using in my garden for organic composting.

I think the Omega vert350 is the juicer for us. Norwalk is out of price range and too fussy. Where do people buy, btw? The best price I see is $379 including free shipping. I am in the D.C. area and would buy in person, but I haven't found a single store that sells one.

Help me get past juicer ordering phobia, or too many choices syndrome, fear of making a mistake illness, etc. I need to my new juicer! I moved mid-summer and haven't even unpacked the Jack Lalanne. I miss my juice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juicer: About to push the order button
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 05, 2010 06:11PM

Hi! I don't know if you have read any of my previous posts about the Omega 8006. I don't want to bore anyone because I have mentioned it on numerous occasions, but I was in your shoes earlier in the year and it's great to get a first-hand account of a big ticket item from someone not financially invested in the product. I paid $300 and that included shipping! Don't ask me where I got it from, though. It may be associated with this site (discount juicers). It is a masticating juicer, so it is slow. Of course, with any juicer you will have to clean parts, but I have found this to be sooo superior to a basket-type juicer (your LaLane probably is one of those). The pulp is bone-dry. This matters to me greatly because of the waste with the other type of juicers. It handles greens very well, but fruit is fine, too. The only minor quibble is the narrow chute for produce. I don't get why they chose to design it that way, but it's really not that crucial when all is said and done. It's very quiet because it's slow-moving. Trust me--it makes a difference when you are juicing a bunch of stuff. My old juicer sounded like a lawn mover! The juicer has a 15-year warranty. How can you beat that? Hope I've been of some helpsmiling smiley

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 05, 2010 07:46PM

I have the 330, older style as you probably have read if you looked thru the other posts. It is quiet & very easy to set up & use, and also clean-up is a breeze. I h ave used many juicers over the years, this has to be the easiest for clean-up.

I have been looking at the 350 & the only difference is that they upgraded the fine screen & bowl.The screen on the original 330 is prone to cracking - I am on my third one. The screen on the 350 is now constructed of the same material as the auger is, so this should no longer be an issue.

I have ordered the newer replacement screen, it has not arrived yet. On the 330, the pulp needs to be strained, I imagine it will be the same with the 350. That is about my only real complaint with the juicer, albeit a small one.

I also have the Norwalk which I use most of the time, so I am used to truly "bone dry" pulp. If you juice on a large scale which I do (most of the time) that is really the way to go, IMO.

That being said, I am happy with the Vert, even if I have to do the extra staining. My wife actually uses this one, as it is easier to clean for her (and quieter!)

BTW, I don't feel that feeding the pulp through again gives you any more juice from it. I have done that & don't see really any more juice coming out of it.

We ordered ours from ebay (new) & saved a bit on it - except that the seller didn't have it is stock (ask him prior to bidding) so we ended up waiting over a month for it to arrive.

Good luck on your purchase!

Date: November 06, 2010 04:38AM

Thank you, I really appreciate the reviews. Because I had just been seeing them from people selling juicers, which is why it took me so long to narrow down. Every time I saw a review I would think "great, that's the one!"

And I am sure I would love a Norwalk, but even the used ones are not in my price range (I looked). So I told myself they were too fussy to keep from wishing I could afford one.

The 8006 was the other juicer I was considering, Banana. And I think it was the chute that concerned me. Somebody said in a review that he/she had to spend too much time prepping the produce before putting it in the chute. I had another juicer that I had to do that for and there were days I just didn't feel like it. The prep time plus juicing time plus cleanup were not worth it, I felt. There was a good juice bar nearby so I would just buy it there, but that's not an option now.

So I thought straining the juice (with the vert) would be easier (for me) than doing the produce prep.

See? I have driven myself around the bend.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: November 07, 2010 11:12PM

CeceAnn Wrote:

> I think the Omega vert350 is the juicer for us.
> Norwalk is out of price range and too fussy. Where
> do people buy, btw? The best price I see is $379
> including free shipping. I am in the D.C. area and
> would buy in person, but I haven't found a single
> store that sells one.
>
I have it for less if you're interested in buying it still. Just go to the website link below. I try my best to offer the lowest price for the juicers. I love the 330 and will be buying the 350 soon (the 330 was a loan on a couple of occasions). I decided to stop wasting my time on the cheaper juicers or even with some of the good quality ones that I ended up never using.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: November 08, 2010 07:32PM

CeceAnn,

I think if you go with a 350 or 8006/8004 (8004 is usually $20 cheaper, just white instead of chrome only difference), you can't go wrong. Btw, if you just want to look or see an Omega 330 VERT, you said you were in the DC area, let me know. I'm in Northern VA. Be glad to do a demo with the 330 for you. Defintely if you buy, go 350 over 330, just to get the Ultem screen. I plan to buy an Ultem screen when Omega sells them individually.

Btw, if you haven't seen John Kohler's (the founder of this forum) comparison of the Omega VRT 350 vs. the Omega 8006, here's your chance. [www.youtube.com]

He sells both juicers and has been pretty straight about the tradeoffs between the two. And there are trade offs. The 8006 has a better warranty, is less expensive, performs a wider range of functions beside juicing and shorter clean up time. The VERT has a wider feed shoot and would probably require less preparation than the 8006 but still requires cutting (even the 3" wide feed shoot on the the Omega Big Mouth requires some preparation). The VERT is also better on juicing fruits and a fruit/vegetable combinations than an 8006. The VERT has shorter juicing time than the 8006 (but longer cleaning time).

Best of luck in your decision.

Paul

p.s. the 8006 produces a less pulpier juice, I believe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2010 07:40PM by pborst.

Date: November 11, 2010 09:02PM

Thanks so much! If I was the only one using the juicer, I would get an 8006, but since my husband and teenage son will also be using it I'm going to go for the vert350. I can tell by watching that Kohler comparison.

I also heard it is better to buy straight from Kohler because that way if I've made a mistake I can return it.

Date: November 12, 2010 12:39AM

What I meant was I heard it was better to buy from Omega because then I could return the juicer if I used it and decided I had made a mistake. I was rushing when I posted that!

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: November 15, 2010 05:00AM

Usually those selling any juicer abides by the manufacturer return policy, which in this case is 30 days. So you don't have to worry about where you buy it from. Also have only heard good feedback regarding Omega's customer service which is available for anyone who owns their juicers.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: November 28, 2010 02:50AM

one thing ive noticed about the 8004/8006, is the price dropped shortly after I purchased mine,lol... I dont have much else to add to this convo as pborst covered basically anything I would have said already, except to add that I REALLY love making whole fruit sorbet and nut butters with my 8004, an act which I believe voids the warranty in the VRT... but if speed is a major concern for you, then VRT is definitely the way to go... although its not very good with leafy veggies from what ive seen on the comparison vids, but awesome with harder veggies and fruits.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables