Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: stainless steel vs. plastic......
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: May 24, 2012 03:36AM

here is a you tube video offering information about the company who manufactures the Super Angel and the company (US Juicers) who markets the machine out of their office at an undisclosed California location.

[www.youtube.com]

jj

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 24, 2012 08:08AM

Is this the same company and people who John Kohler had a bad experience with? And why are you so down on the Angel, as this is another thread that you've started with the same youtube video. Have you also had a bad experience John???

jalan

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 24, 2012 10:35PM

your link John is not to US Juicers, the only distributor of the Super Angel 5500.

Paul

Posted by: chat ()
Date: May 27, 2012 07:19AM

The first two posts are so suspiciously by one and the same person trying to promote a particular product! :O This didn't ruin the thread or the section for me, but the posters in question are automatically in the mental black list, not to trust or even read anything they post again. I say 'automatically' because for me it seems to be subconscious rather than conscious aversion to posts such like those, and funnily enough it translates into aversion to, and impacts the trust in the product itself - such cheap means of deception!...

Posted by: tomaszth ()
Date: March 14, 2015 01:15PM

Hello,

I use the Angel 5500 everyday for 6 months. Now I've been trying to check if there is any risk the juice contains any metals like nickel for examp.

First conclusions:
1) I can see some abrasions on the gears, but it seems it was caused by fruit and vegetables and not by the second gear. I can see this abrasions only on gear's part where it touches fruits and vegetables.
2) It seems gear roll on each other without scratching (it is only my assumption)
3) I've decided to examine the juice with food checking institution.I am going to write the results just after I will get it.

Tomasz

Posted by: All Things Good ()
Date: March 19, 2015 12:51PM

Seems like Jucin John is John Kohler to me.

Also seems like there is NO MATERIAL DATA about any stainless steel leeching, it is myth as far I am concerned.

John Kohler has had a fight with the Angel Juicer company in the US. Since then he has been out spoken in his critism of them.

This whole myth of steel in juicer to me is a complete fabrication. A guy called John also spammed my youtube channel.

The Angel Juicer is excellent. I own one and so do many people I know. They are the best juicer. I am a Health Professional as well.

Also guys be careful one person can have multiple accounts to create a fear campaign.

EYES OPEN PEOPLE.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: March 19, 2015 02:30PM

tomaszth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
>
> I use the Angel 5500 everyday for 6 months. Now
> I've been trying to check if there is any risk the
> juice contains any metals like nickel for examp.
>
> First conclusions:
> 1) I can see some abrasions on the gears, but it
> seems it was caused by fruit and vegetables and
> not by the second gear. I can see this abrasions
> only on gear's part where it touches fruits and
> vegetables.
> 2) It seems gear roll on each other without
> scratching (it is only my assumption)
> 3) I've decided to examine the juice with food
> checking institution.I am going to write the
> results just after I will get it.
>
> Tomasz

Thanks.

Posted by: tomaszth ()
Date: March 19, 2015 06:20PM

Hello,

I'am not a John for sure (have checked my ID twice ;-)) and I am not against the Angel (to be honest I like this juicer very much). Just must be sure if all is ok with the juice.

For example you can believe that BPA free plastic is safe but you could be wrong. There is a few BP types like S and F (maybe worst then A).

And the last thing, plastic leeching more then steel I suppose.

To the point, it is worth of reading and it is about steel leeching also:

[www.ttl.fi]

BTW
still looking for any institution able to measure nickel and chromium inside the juice

Date: March 19, 2015 09:15PM

tomaszth Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'am not a John for sure (have checked my ID twice
> ;-)) and I am not against the Angel (to be honest
> I like this juicer very much). Just must be sure
> if all is ok with the juice.
>
> For example you can believe that BPA free plastic
> is safe but you could be wrong. There is a few BP
> types like S and F (maybe worst then A).
>
> And the last thing, plastic leeching more then
> steel I suppose.
>
>
> To the point, it is worth of reading and it is
> about steel leeching also:
>
> [www.ttl.fi]
> cations/Documents/Stainless_steel.pdf
>
>
>
> BTW
> still looking for any institution able to measure
> nickel and chromium inside the juice

Any forensic lab can easily test for metals in you juice. They also have microscopes which can determine the nature of the wear on your juicer's metal gears.

These people can help you, tomaszth. Please let us know your results. Thanks again.

[www.mccrone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 09:29PM by SueZ.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 09, 2015 09:26PM

I would just say to each their own. Weigh the tradeoffs of materials, risk and juice yield as well as clean up time, and make your call. So comparatively, stainless steel is less reactive and less likely to leach than other materials made into augers or gears for juicer, certainly melanine and ultem. More importantly nickel and chromium metal are benign. They can't hurt you. There are versions of chromium and nickel that can hurt you, nickel carbonyl and trivalent chromium or hexavalent chromium. But no evidence if there is a shaving that this is what you would be getting.

Chromium and nickel metal are fairly stable compounds, that's why they are added as alloys to stainless steel in the first place. They are inert and add hardening, edge retention and rust resistence over carbon steel. Along with ceramic and glass, they are the most neutral of materials for preparing food.

Can chromium hurt you? Sure if it's hexavalent like in Erin Brockovich. But that's not what a Super Angel Twin Gear is made of or is likely to release. Truth is a Super Angel twin gear isn't likely to release anything as the only place the gears touch is close to the motor housing. Apart from that, there is space between the gears to get the juice out. OW how could it juice?

Is a Super Angel worth the money? That's a different issue. I bought mine new for a $1000 two or three years ago, and it's a trooper. It's an investment to be sure. I think a Green Star Elite is an equally great juicer for less, but with more plastic contact points in the juicing process. One has to look at their budget and the tradeoffs. Omega 8004 is the best buy at $259 or less with a 15 year warranty. As I said at the beginning, to each their own.

Paul

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2015 09:33PM by pborst.

Posted by: DavidF ()
Date: February 17, 2016 06:11AM

SS when scratched goes through a process called passivation. What this means is that the material re-seals itself. There are chemical studies proving that scratched stainless steel passivates and 'heals' its own wound.

Date: February 17, 2016 10:29PM

DavidF Wrote:
> SS when scratched goes through a process called
> passivation. What this means is that the material
> re-seals itself. There are chemical studies
> proving that scratched stainless steel passivates
> and 'heals' its own wound.

You mean after the SS parts have been previously treated for such an eventuality or are you thinking the citric acid from juices would be enough to start off the process in untreated SS parts?

Posted by: DavidF ()
Date: February 20, 2016 04:16PM

Stainless Passivation

The passivation of stainless steel is a process performed to make a surface passive, i.e., a surface film is created that causes the surface to lose its chemical reactivity. Stainless steel is already known as being corrosion-resistant, however the passivation process further strengthens its’ natural coating by improving the exterior surface of the overall part. Stainless steel passivation unipotentializes the stainless steel with the oxygen absorbed by the metal surface, creating a monomolecular oxide film. Passivation can result in the very much-desired low corrosion rate of the metal. Passivation also is accomplished by stainless steel electropolishing.

Advantages of Passivation

Improved Corrosion Resistance
Uniform, Smooth Appearance and Finish
Deburring (Polished Surface)
Cleanliness
Improved and Extended Life of Product

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables