Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ito Manual Juice Press -- Juice Recovery from Pulp
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 21, 2011 09:40PM

the following is a reprint of a review I did on another forum about my Ito Manual Juicer which I still have and use.

When I juice I usually use either my twin gear Green Power Kempo or my single auger Omega VRT. Often the question of what to do with the pulp comes into play, esp the wet pulp in the nutmilk bag I use to obtain my pulp free juicer. Many people either compost their pulp, mix it with dog food for pets, use it for fertilizer or simply throw it out. One option is to make green pulp crackers, and I recently posted another thread on that subject --[www.thepeacefulkitchen.blogspot.com] gave some great green pulp cracker recipes including one with lentils!

At the same time, I've been looking at inexpensive ways to get more juice out of the remaining veggie pulp (often this will be a mix of carrot, beet & various greens). And up until now, failure. I tried using a manual citrus press but got little. I tried rerunning the pulp through the auger & twin gear juicers with some results but a lot more mess during clean up. Enter the Ito manual juice press. I just purchased one from discountjuicers.com. Some initial thoughts, first take a look at the demo video. [ []]

I like the 30 to 40 percent additional juice extraction on the second press that I would get from the first juice run. That's a lot of juice. I also like the $70 to $90 price tag of the Ito, it's affordable unlike the Welles Press that John offers for $400. Downsides, not crazy that this thing is made out of aluminum. Would have preferred cast iron or stainless steel. But not a deal breaker. This is different from aluminum cookware in two ways, first no heat, second minimal contact time. The juice from the pulp literally falls through into the collection cup from the juicer. Little time and no heat to absorb any aluminum.

Part 2

I received the Ito Press today. And it performed as expected, about an additional 33 percent of yield relative to the original press. So, if you get 9 ounces from your juicer, you can expect another 3 or so from the pulp for a total of 12, for an example.

For single auger masticating juicers like the Omega 8004 and 8006 that Dr. Fuhrman sells, you also have the option of running the pulp back through a second time. I've done that and it works comparably. I guess I prefer the manual press for the alternative.

Part 3

For a relatively moist pulp, the typical recovery efficiency is 35 percent about a 1/3 of the original juice press. And that is with either pure carrot pulp or a blend of carrot, beet, yu choy. Come to find that for pure kale, the recovery drops by quite a bit. For 22 ounces initial press, I got about 4 ounces or around 1/2 cup which represents a decrease from 35 percent to just around 18 percent , about half the recovery from a moist pulp.

Since the kale pulp, properly cut, on the Omega VERT was pretty dry, that is understandable. At the same time, I'm not likely to run the Eto juice press on straight leafy greens. T'aint worth it.

Best.

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ito Manual Juice Press -- Juice Recovery from Pulp
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 21, 2011 10:34PM

well, that didn't work well. looks like John is temporarily out of them. Nevertheless, the demo video is here [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 22, 2011 01:09AM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> well, that didn't work well. looks like John is
> temporarily out of them. Nevertheless, the demo
> video is here
I watched the video. John drives me up the wall
talking with his hands the way he does. The Ito Manual would
be too much work for me....and dealing with the Cloth Bags...
no thank you.
I'm going to disagree with him over the repressed Carrot Pulp.
Don't do it. The dark color of the juice indicates Oxidation.....WY

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 22, 2011 02:50AM

cool beans .. 30% more juice could be a real savings over the long term juicing ... i would definitely use it (pulp) right away thos because of the oxidataion issue .. i wouldnt save up bowlfulls smiling smiley

also would be handy camping smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: January 22, 2011 03:01AM

I have thought about it a bit...

while it is a novel invention, and does yield more juice from the pulp, I just couldn't see myself using it that much. Too much extra work to fit into my already busy day.

On the other hand, it would work well for quick citrus juices, just smash 1/2 an Orange & there you have it!

I won't mention a shameless plug for the Norwalk, lol...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables