Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Juiced Suggestions
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 25, 2011 08:20PM

I am looking for any suggestions or help on recommendations for a juicedr that can juicer Wheatgrass, other grasses, Fruits, and vegetables. I am looking for a juicer that will maintain most of the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, nutrients, fiber, etc. of what is being juiced. I currently have a L'Equip Juicer and Vita-Mix TurboBlend Blender.
Any help, suggestions, etc. would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juiced Suggestions
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 25, 2011 09:56PM

massai2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any help, suggestions, etc. would be very much
> appreciated. Thank you very much.
I would suggest you look at the Omega line for a
Juicer, and the Vita-Mix line for a Blender. As for which
model....look until you hear an 'Amen'.....WY

Date: January 25, 2011 11:05PM

John Kohler of discount juicers has great videos, comparison charts and great prices. Check it out.

[www.discountjuicers.com]

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 25, 2011 11:42PM

yeah. John kohler is a lot of help, I personally really love my omega 8004 (which he suggested to me for my specific needs and budget) But some peoples needs are different than others, so checking out his site, and a bunch of comparison videos on youtube, can help you decide what juicer will be best for yousmiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: cy ()
Date: January 27, 2011 02:43AM

Huron slow juicer is very good.

Date: January 27, 2011 03:30AM

Really Cy? That one looked so interesting to me but I wasn't sure what the big difference was. What do you like about it?

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: January 28, 2011 09:50PM

all of the folks who participate with this forum ...sincerely believe that their opinion of what is the best juicer is undeniably correct. unfortunately... unless their opinions can be substantiated by the criteria which are considered to be foundation "stones" for the production good health building juice....we must at least question these opinions.

Dr. Norman Walker and Dr. Max Gerson made it clear from their research that a juicer with true value must be able to accomplish certain basic requirements.

i wish to begin a definition some of the basic criteria with the following set of questionings:

1. does the juicer have a masticating or trituating process to open the cell membranes to release phytonutrients,vitamins and minerals? if not ....then these valuable nutritional substances may remain inside of the pulp and be ejected and expelled along with the pulp.

2.is the trituating or masticating component made of plastic or stainless steel?

3. is there an efficient squeezing or pressing feature which not only gets more juice per pound but also more of the nutrients contained in the pulp?

4. does the juicer operate at a low rpm to treat these living nutrients with gentleness and care so that they survive the juicing process which takes the living juice out of its protective enviornment within the cell and renders it vulnerable to the new set of conditions outside the cell?

also be sure that the machine you have picked out has at least a 5 year warranty at minimum.

i have tried them all... and the only juicer i can honestly recommend is called the Green Star Juicer.

one last comment...."evan the worst juicer is better than none at all."

just juice it...

jj

Date: January 29, 2011 12:07AM

I had the greenstar but did not enjoy it very much so traded for an Omega single gear which I have used much more consitantly. You can always make crackers in the dehydrator from the pulp of fruits and veggies or sprinkle it over salad or in soup. It makes great compost as well winking smiley.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: January 29, 2011 12:22AM

coco Wrote:
> I had the greenstar but did not enjoy it very much
> so traded for an Omega single gear which I have
> used much more consitantly. You can always make
> crackers in the dehydrator from the pulp of fruits
> and veggies or sprinkle it over salad or in soup.
> It makes great compost as well winking smiley.

Supposedly the newer Greenstar models do not clog up like the older one were prone to...the one I owned back around 2000 was horrible for clogging...

had to disassemble it & clean that fine screen constantly... sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2011 12:23AM by juicerkatz.

Date: January 29, 2011 12:44AM

That would definitely add to it's usability. That thing would foam right up and out the chute and was just a big pain to clean. The omega I have is from the same time frame though and it was much easier to use all around. I imagine the newer versions of that have improved as well. I would like to get the one that presses oil, moringa tree seed oil sounds amazing and I'd like to be able to harvest and press my own.

Date: January 29, 2011 10:25AM

if you watch the videos, the new one still foams up a bit and can clog a little, but from what ive seen, its not nearly as bad at that as it used to be, so they have definitely improved in that area. (Im fairly certain it was the newest one I saw in the video, but not 100% certain, so its something one should go check on for their self.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: January 29, 2011 06:28PM

obviously ...the comments on the "clogging" would have to be surely unfounded or concluded by a very limited usage since i have litereally juiced gallons without need to clean the fine screen not experience a "clogging" issue.

what they may be referring to is the juicing of some soft fruits or "dry" non- juicy apples...in which case yes there will be a back up in the feeding chute.
this backing up can be controlled to a certain extent by adjusting the pulp squeezing knob to a lower setting which results in a slightly wetter pulp. this is not a total loss if the "wet" pulp is saved and formed into cokies and placed inside of a food dehydrator and made into delicious raw dried fruit cookies. a little honey and lemon balances out the flavor of the cookies.

carrots, celery, beets greens and a wide variety of fruits and veggies go through "by the gallon" without the need to dismantle and clean anything.

foaming does take place with pure green juices and is offset with a small amount of hempseed oil dripped onto the gears before juicing. mixing apples with the greens also improves the flavor and seems to help with the foam. mixng greens with celery and cukes creates a nice flavor and nutrient profile as well as rendering the foam to a basically insignificant level.

overall....the beneficial features of the Green Star significantly outweigh any of the sporadic criticisms which have been brought forth respectfully by those who favor the plastic gear single augur types of juicers.

in addition ....the magnetic and bio-ceramic features are unmatched in any juicer in the history of juicing. see the below link from a previous post in regards to.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

....and to top it all off the Green Star clean-up ( for me about 4 minutes)is so simple that it removes one of the mail obstacles which many people encounter
when taking up the health building habit of regular juicing.

hey ...i am glad that these people on the thread here are juicing and liking their machines.

" the worst juicer in the world is better than no juicer at all"

juice it baby....

jj

Date: January 29, 2011 06:41PM

juicin' john Wrote:
> obviously ...the comments on the "clogging" would
> have to be surely unfounded or concluded by a very
> limited usage since i have litereally juiced
> gallons without need to clean the fine screen not
> experience a "clogging" issue.

Wow.

Well, I worked at an indoor organic sprout farm and living foods resource centre where we sold wheatgrass shots, did many demos at shows, and hosted lots of events, all with the greenstar. And I had one at home. So I guess I have a lot of experience with that particular machine and when I say it foamed up and was a pain to clean it's from experience juicing a lot as well as juicing just for me. I wouldn't use an omega at a show like that, not because it wouldn't' perform but because I don't know that it could stand up to that volume of juicing over time but that's not what I use it for at home so it's just great. And it's WAY easier to clean up.

The only thing I would prefer a greenstar for would be to juice mature coconut or grind nuts for nut butter.

Date: January 29, 2011 07:14PM

I had forgot about the backing up out of the chute...

Apparently, Matt Monarch is a dummy too & doesn't know how to use the greenstar, as I have watched vids of him with it & it does indeed clog/foam & back up...

Good to know about the "hempseed oil dripped onto the gears before juicing" thing... I was not aware that the juicer needed to be "pre-lubed..."

I think the company should send along a guy with each sale so he can pop out of the box & give about a two week tutorial on how to use the thing...

Date: January 29, 2011 08:18PM

Ha ha, we actually would show people how to assemble, take apart, use and clean the thing when we sold it. It isn't all that hard once you know how but a bit intimidating when getting started for sure.

Date: January 29, 2011 10:26PM

ha ...isn't that strange.

a friend of mine owned an indoor sprout farm and also sold tons of wheatgrass shots and used no other than the GreenStar for over ten years and actually sold quite a few of the GreensStars to the people who purchased the shots from him.

although i would not consider Matt to be a dummy by any means...i have heard that those people who sell the omega have a higher mark up on resale price of the omega line. perhaps that could be why they favor selling the omega over the GS?

Bing Crosby...an avid golfer as well as famous crooner... once gave some broadcasting advice to the young Ken Venturi when he signed on as a golf newscaster for CBS. "never buy anything from a guy talking with a loud fast voice."

the little skit about the need for pre-lube and the little pop- up sales guy is certainly cute and quite laughable....but not in the sense which you may have intended.

the GreenStar clean-up is really easy (5 MINUTES OR LESS), foam is not really much of a problem, and the backing - up is only related to soft fruits and low fiber produce which is in most case a very low percentage of the items juiced. another thing is that celery string never accumlate and tangle up on the grinding gears as they do in other types of juicers making the clean up more laborsome. neither are there any hard to get to nooks and crannies which also slow the clean up down.

the backing up is easily off set by interspersing fiberous items along with the low fiber.

Green Star is honestly the next best juicer to the high priced($2500.00) and alltime classic Norwalk.. i have been using my GS for over 12 years and it is still is going strong. i also know if i need a replacement part or service for it that i can get what i need......the company is established and solvent in the long term.

not everyone believes in buying the highest quality..... that is why cheaper machines like the single augurs, centrifugals, and the champions are ok for certain peoples.

enjoy your machine whatever it is, but please don't try knocking the Green Star with all the trash talking exaggerations.

thank you.

jj

Date: January 29, 2011 11:12PM

juicin' john Wrote:

> don't try knocking the Green Star with all the
> trash talking exaggerations.
>

You are something else buddy.

In my EXPERIENCE (which is hardly trash talking, where do you get off?) it's a beast to clean. If you don't find it so and can get the screen free of all the pulp in 5 minutes as you claim then bully for you but I have yet to see it done. The pulp has to be literally scraped off and then scrubbed out. No mean feat and none to easy in MY EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 29, 2011 11:27PM

"the little skit about the need for pre-lube and the little pop- up sales guy is certainly cute and quite laughable....but not in the sense which you may have intended."

It is what it is...

I like my juicer & you like yours...why can't we just leave it at that...the forum gets so heated anymore with all this nit-picking discussion in the juicing threads - probably scares many newbies away...

I consider my Norwalk one of the best, but I am not about to suggest that it is THE best, barre none...

Each person should share their opinions, but "forcing" someone to like the machine you use/promote/sell...that's just not cool.

Date: January 30, 2011 12:31AM

excuse me coco...but we may disagree also on another familiar post.

"The real trick is to truly understand what you think you may know...and then put it to the ultimate usage and To BE".............. anonymous

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 12:34AM by juicin' john.

Date: January 30, 2011 12:35AM

This is JJ guys, arguing with him will only increase his negative behavior, he has already started the bullying behavior, lets quit now be4 he starts spouting off more insults and other B.S., And to those looking for Juicers, I strongly caution you to not listen to Juicin John and just do your own research, read everything, watch the videos, and choose the juicer that is best for you, and ignore people like JJ, we are all passionate about the particular juicers we love, but people like JJ just take things way to far.

Also, anyone interested in a green star strictly because of the whole bio ceramic magnets thing, if you honestly believe that will raise the quality of your juice, I can tell you how to make your own that are much more powerful than the ones greenstar uses, and sooooo much cheaper...

[www.ehow.com]

If one has some minor electrical knowledge they could make enough of these to surround the juicing area of most juicers for under $50, Id use a ceramic frame to hold them in place, but anything that is non conductive would work, if I really wanted to do this seriously, id then surround them with a thin ceramic coating, or a ceramic tube, and voila! far more powerful than the greenstars magnets, and made at home for cheap.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: January 30, 2011 01:29AM

comment on curators post scription:

As a non-enlightened human being ...

you are quite powerless, but you just need to admit to the state of ego-personality and body identification and see it for the powerlessness imprisoned state for which it is,because as such it is separated from the Universal Consciousness which pervades the entire universe.

the world cannot be saved but individual men who strongly so choose ....may liberate their own true Self from this inherited imprisonment inside of an "egoic- personality-body" with which they have become falsely identified with as the being who they imagine that they are...

and by doing so they can stand as a shining example to all men who have from the day of their birth been enveloped in a darkness of ignorance and sleep....

all the while being hypnotized by the externality of their respective existences into thinking that all is well and dandy...

and because of this inability to acknowledge their own vile state of affairs and to admit to it ..... and thereby creating then a possibility to change it for the better ...they remain as such in their sleep.

simply through the liberating action of changing their way of thinking about themselves.... they now posess the possibility to starve out the illegitimate occupant who in darkness has taken up residence their most holy temple within ...

and by slaying that imposterous abominable dragon ..... they shall light the torch which can light the way of their journey to the rebirth to their true and original Self and thereby they can now shine by example as a light which can again act to inspire all those who may have who have eyes to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 01:32AM by juicin' john.

Date: January 30, 2011 02:42AM

Im curious John, do you consider insulting everyone who disagrees with you as the act of an enlightened being? do you consider acting like you know better than everyone else, the act of an enlightened being? I am curious if you consider such hateful attitudes that you approach others with often as the acts of an enlightened being? If they truly are, then I am glad i am not enlightened.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: January 30, 2011 07:40AM

Chill out. Getting all worked up about machines is silly. Watch the video for a laugh (is related to juicers) ;-).

[www.youtube.com]

JJ you seem to know the intricacies of the Greenstar, why not share what you know on video? Help people overcome the steep learning curve so to speak. I would definitely appreciate this as I am in the market for a top of the line juicer myself.

Massai the op asked for suggestions, I think that request has been satisfied. It's up to the op to research and ask questions about specific models at this point.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: January 30, 2011 08:16PM

juicerkatz Wrote:

> the juicing threads - probably scares many newbies
> away...
>
> I consider my Norwalk one of the best, but I am
> not about to suggest that it is THE best, barre
> none...
>

I don't have the inclination to search the entire forum looking for all your posts but could you please tell me if you liked your Norwalk right away or if it took you time to get used to it.

I've always dreamed of having a Norwalk but financially it is not at present doable. Oh, well!

Date: January 30, 2011 09:05PM

Horsea Wrote:
> juicerkatz Wrote:
>
> > the juicing threads - probably scares many
> newbies
> > away...
> >
> > I consider my Norwalk one of the best, but I am
> > not about to suggest that it is THE best, barre
> > none...
> >
>
> I don't have the inclination to search the entire
> forum looking for all your posts but could you
> please tell me if you liked your Norwalk right
> away or if it took you time to get used to it.
>
> I've always dreamed of having a Norwalk but
> financially it is not at present doable. Oh,
> well!

I did the search & found a thread for you! There are other threads about it, but this one sums it up pretty well/ I gave my personal feelings & experiences about it.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

I was "sold" on the Norwalk right from the start...I read some Dr. Norman Walker books, watched Dr. Lorraine Day vids. where she promotes the use of the Norwalk.

Had a tad bit of difficulty at the very start with the "throwback" mentioned, but that is very easily addresses & should really never be an issue for anyone if they understand how the machine operates.

It should be addressed in a clearer manner in the Owners' manual/video...maybe it is now with the new models.

I come from a background of Juicemans & Champions...High end Omegas & the Greenstar. After all the dust settled, I still wanted this juicer.

I still feel the same way about it, & currently am using it about 3 times/week. Since purchasing the high speed blender I have been doing a bit more with green smoothies...

Again, it may not be the juicer for everone..in fact, there is a youtube vid. where Brian Clement states that it is not a good juicer for varying reasons...but oh well...I am happy with it.

pborst - - - I'm still waiting for you to chime in with an update that you purchased the Norwalk, lol...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 09:07PM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 31, 2011 12:53AM

massai2 Wrote:
> I am looking for any suggestions or help on
> recommendations for a juicedr that can juicer
> Wheatgrass, other grasses, Fruits, and vegetables.
> I am looking for a juicer that will maintain most
> of the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, nutrients,
> fiber, etc. of what is being juiced. I currently
> have a L'Equip Juicer and Vita-Mix TurboBlend
> Blender.
> Any help, suggestions, etc. would be very much
> appreciated. Thank you very much.

My Omega 8006 loves greens. People talk about the narrow feed chute and the fact that you must exert a certain amount of force to juice hard veggies like carrots, but the design is great and very easy to put together. I just love it very much! And it was $300 with free shipping! 15-year warranty.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: January 31, 2011 02:20AM

Thanks, juicerkatz. I do see people, tho, trying their Norwalks once or twice, then trying to sell them. I'd never do that. I'd stick with it till I could make a go of it.

Date: January 31, 2011 02:50AM

Horsea Wrote:
> Thanks, juicerkatz. I do see people, tho, trying
> their Norwalks once or twice, then trying to sell
> them. I'd never do that. I'd stick with it till
> I could make a go of it.

I see that too;

That may be a good thing for you as a buyer though; someone is frustrated w/ their inability to operate the machine & are willing to unload a brand new juicer for a great deal for you...

Date: January 31, 2011 03:55AM

I was thinking the same thing JK

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables