Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bought a Vitamix 5200 still shopping around
Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: January 25, 2011 09:22PM

So I went to Costco yesterday and bought the Vitamix 5200 (roughly $400) and the grain carafe as well (roughly $98). I bought the Vitamix 5200 since it was on sale, 7 year warrantee is decent, and apparently the models sold via Costco differ slightly from the stock model w/ soft switches/dials. I can easily return it if I decide on another blender, have not opened it as of yet because I am still uncertain if this blender will meet the needs of my intention — maximum nutrition.

One thing that is bugging me is that I am not aware of any difference between any of the Vitamix models. For example, how does the 5200 differ from the Vitamix Turboblend VS, or the CIA model?

Another thing is I'm hearing that most blenders do not break down the cellular walls according to nutritionists thus plenty of it is just fiber passing through. 90% of the food's nutrition is destroyed by heat/friction from the blades etc. I have a unreliable source as far as this goes but read on:

"Another tidbit about blending raw food that is green, fruity, nutty or whatever ingredient, you need AT LEAST 1500 WATTS or 13 AMPS in order to create enough appropriate friction to break down the cell walls of these ingredients and not loose nutrients, but preferably 1800 WATTS if you can afford it, or above (which I cannot afford it as these blenders run around $800 - $1,100)" [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Other models that have my eye are the Waring Pro 3 HP Blender (a little more powerful than the Vitamix(?) but it sounds like Blendtec has the most powerful blenders if one is willing to have an electrician come to the house and install a dedicated 30 amp circuit. I wonder if that would even be possible in this ancient household. I don't need such volume, but I definitely do want the nutrition!

There's plenty of confusion and mystification in the pursuit of the highest quality blender that will preserve the most nutrients. Hoping for clarity and sanity. Should I just unbox my 5200 and start blending or is it worth purchasing a different blender?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bought a Vitamix 5200 still shopping around
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 25, 2011 09:49PM

adamlogan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Another tidbit about blending raw food that is
> green, fruity, nutty or whatever ingredient, you
> need AT LEAST 1500 WATTS or 13 AMPS in order to
> create enough appropriate friction to break down
> the cell walls of these ingredients
If we use Logic here, we see that can't be true. Our teeth
were meant to break the cell walls...a blender of almost any power
will do this better than our teeth if the Vortex is allowed to move rapidly.

Should I just unbox my 5200
> and start blending or is it worth purchasing a
> different blender?
I vote for unboxing your 5200. All Household Vita-Mix machines
have the same 2 HP motor....made in France with premium components. My Vita-
Prep 3 generates a little more speed because, on High, a fan kicks
in to cool the motor, allowing the blades to spin faster (plus creating a
lot more noise).
Good Luck with whatever you decide.....WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 25, 2011 11:08PM

You'll have to chew anything you blend or juice and mix it with your saliva anyhow, any blender will help increase nutrition from food by doing a lot of the chewing for you before that point. If you are looking for "perfect" it simply doesn't exist but this machine can get you to very, very good smiling smiley.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 25, 2011 11:31PM

hmmm, nothing to really add here, seems WY and coco pretty much covered anything id say, and probably said it better,lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: January 26, 2011 01:12AM

Yeah...I agree with the others...open it & use it...unless you are really looking for a specific feature.

At this point I kinda feel that "a high speed blender is a high speed blender is a high speed blender..."

Too many minor differences to make one model stand out over another. Except for what pborst stated in the other blending thread...comparing Blendtec to V-mix, as in manual vs. automatic...

I prefer "manual" for my needs. The variable speed? Well, I would probably crank it up to the max anyway if I had that feature.

My recipes are not that detailed that I need to dial in the exact miles per hour...

Date: January 26, 2011 11:23AM

I opened the 5200 today, the handle grip (two halves) somehow did not connect during the manufacturing process, and even with plenty of force I could not get the two halves to snap together. For $400 I'm expecting better than that, so I am going to return it. Not sure if I will get it replaced or decide on a different model.

Just looked at the commercial offerings by Waring, didn't look around hard enough before. I love the minimalism and build quality. Low Med High Pulse Power, stainless steel carafe, and more hp than I can shake a stick at.

[www.waringproducts.com]
[www.waringproducts.com]

Too bad it's only available in gallon capacity, the unique clover base means I cannot just put a different carafe on there. Bummer! These are "food blenders" so they are positioned as competitors to the Vitaprep 3 right?

Missing the "medium" speed that I want so much, but probably much more affordable, MX1000XTS. Apparently the MX100XTS has more horsepower and costs less than the MX1000R if you don't count the stainless steel carafe.
[www.waringproducts.com]
[www.waringwebstore.com]

I don't get what the "removable jar pad" is all about though. Could someone explain that to me?

Do you guys know of a tamper available that would work well for these? I know I can get replacement Vitamix tampers, but I'm wondering if that would even work with the Waring models, or if there are other better Tampers not made of plastic.

As always your answers and input would be much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 11:27AM by adamlogan.

Date: January 26, 2011 08:14PM

Sounds like your 5200 definitely had a manufacturing mishap with the handle grip. I would return that, no doubt.

I have had the waring MX1000XT for around 1.5 yr., I guess. I use it hard & have no complaints...well...except that I wish I could get a 96 oz. container for it...

Anyway, as you stated, plenty of power. Mine has Lo/High/Pulse & I am happy with that. I am not sure a med. speed is necessary...is it?

The removable jar pad is a noise/vibration isolation damper. Inevitably, some liquid may find its way onto the base & get under the pad, so they made it removable for easy cleaning.

I can't say enough good things about my Waring. I purchased it online at the time for around $307.00. (I think...)

I don't have a V-mix/Blendtec, so I can't do a head to head comparison, but for my needs it works super. I blend just about anything you can imagine, I do not go easy on it.

Everything from green smoothies/protein shakes w/ peanut butter/homemade mayo recipes/ and nut milks.

I believe I prefer the clear container as opposed to the SS one. I like to be able to see what I am blending, lol...

Date: January 26, 2011 10:45PM

adamlogan Wrote:
> I opened the 5200 today, the handle grip (two
> halves) somehow did not connect during the
> manufacturing process, and even with plenty of
> force I could not get the two halves to snap
> together. For $400 I'm expecting better than that,
> so I am going to return it. Not sure if I will get
> it replaced or decide on a different model.
Things weren't supposed to happen this way. If it was
me, I'd exchange it for another 5200. It comes with a BPA-free
container.
I agree with Katz about the stainless-steel container. You want
to see what you're blending in order to achieve the proper Vortex,
or whirlpool.
I've tried all the power blenders (Waring, BlendTec, and Vita-Mix),
and Vita-Mix serves me best.
Keep us informed as to what you decide.....WY

Date: January 27, 2011 03:30AM

Adamlogan....I must confess that I've been worrying about you
today. I hope you're 'okay' about all of this.
Let us know what you're going to do when you can.....WY

Date: January 27, 2011 03:32AM

That is a lot of money to spend to have something be not quite right with the machine. They seem to have very good customer service though, bet they work to resolve it with you very quickly.

Date: January 27, 2011 06:38PM

I went ahead and exchanged the 5200 for another 5200, the issue was handled by Costco so I can't say how Vitamix's support is either way yet but my impression is they will take care of you.

It was hard for me to re-purchase the 5200 full well knowing I could buy the Waring retail for the exact same cost but with more HP, that I could buy the Vitamix carafe for another $150 and just stick it on top of the Waring. But it kept coming back to "how much do I really need?" and the feeling of over-thinking was my cue to chill out and keep things simple.

Let's see how this month goes with the 5200 =). Completely re-arranged and re-organized the kitchen to have an awesome spot for preparing the fruits/veggies next to the beautiful Vitamix monster of a blender =). I think some hanging wicker or straw baskets are in order.

Date: January 27, 2011 07:17PM

adamlogan Wrote:
> It was hard for me to re-purchase the 5200 full
> well knowing I could buy the Waring retail for the
> exact same cost but with more HP
You made the right decision. Waring's claim of 3.5 HP
is measured by Bare Motor Speed. Put any load on the motor, and
it becomes a 2 HP machine.
Good luck with your new Vita-Mix. I can feel your excitement.....WY

Date: January 27, 2011 10:39PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> adamlogan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It was hard for me to re-purchase the 5200 full
> > well knowing I could buy the Waring retail for
> the
> > exact same cost but with more HP
> You made the right decision. Waring's claim of 3.5
> HP
> is measured by Bare Motor Speed. Put any load on
> the motor, and
> it becomes a 2 HP machine.
> Good luck with your new Vita-Mix. I can feel your
> excitement.....WY

That bare motor speed thing may be true, I don't know...do you have documentation?

If so, then you have a 2 HP waring machine for $150 + less than a Vitamix...(depending on model purchased, of course)

Either way, I would be happy with either blender, I am sure. Have fun with it! Nothing like a good kitchen rearranging for a fresh start!

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 10:41PM by juicerkatz.

Date: January 27, 2011 10:41PM

I just saw a refurbished 5200 for sale from a Canadian site for over $100 more than I paid having mine shipped in the US to my mom's address there. Wow, I got a super deal.

Date: January 27, 2011 11:32PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
> That bare motor speed thing may be true, I don't
> know...do you have documentation?
This guy mentions it in his Waring presentation.
Plus, when I bought a Waring 1200, I knew it didn't have more HP
than my Vita-Mix, even though it was rated at 13 amps compared to
the Vita-Mix 11.5 amps......WY

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 11:39PM by Wheatgrass Yogi.

Date: January 28, 2011 12:46AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> juicerkatz Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That bare motor speed thing may be true, I
> don't
> > know...do you have documentation?
> This guy mentions it in his Waring presentation.
> Plus, when I bought a Waring 1200, I knew it
> didn't have more HP
> than my Vita-Mix, even though it was rated at 13
> amps compared to
> the Vita-Mix 11.5 amps......WY
>
> [www.youtube.com]
> =related

I haven't watched the vid yet, but I will. Does he mention that the Vitamix is load tested? If not, how is the Vitamix load tested?

Inquiring minds want to know...

In order to compare "apples & apples", we would have to duplicate the test results between blenders...

which I am sure Vitamix & Waring did not collaborate on, lol...

BTW, I am not intending for this to be a "Vitamix vs. Waring" battle, rather just looking for the truth. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 12:46AM by juicerkatz.

Date: January 28, 2011 01:35AM

juicerkatz Wrote:
> BTW, I am not intending for this to be a "Vitamix
> vs. Waring" battle, rather just looking for the
> truth. smiling smiley
Katz....It's never a battle with you....only a friendly
discussion. I wish I had your disposition....it's something I'm
working on.
All the power blenders do the job. Take your choice, and be Happy.....WY

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 28, 2011 05:08PM

Adam,

Congrats on your 5200. My current plans are to see if I can live with my Blendtec HP3A after the new lid comes and if not, I will put up on Craigslist and put out for the VM Pro 500. Since I'm only 80 % raw in my veganism, I can use the hot soup setting. I was really impressed about the ergonomics and feel of the Pro 500 relative to the HP3A. Night and day. The rubber grips on the handle and lay out of the control panel was first rate. Eventually they will come out with something better. They always do. Eventually going to buy a Pro 500 even if I keep the Blendtec. Just a matter of timing.

Paul

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 12, 2011 10:41PM

Paul, how are you liking your Blendtec? I always had a Vitamix on my wishlist but now I'm thinking that Blendtec might be just as good, if not better...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables