Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Spiral Slicer?
Posted by: PatchMomma ()
Date: February 14, 2011 01:18AM

I know this isn't a blender or juicer but it is a kitchen gadget and I could use some advice.

Anyone have any reccomendations on the different types of spiral slicers out there in the $20-$40 range? I see 3 different designs and wonder which would be best. Sure don't want to hate what I get and have to buy another one but I dream of easy veggie pasta.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Slicer?
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: February 14, 2011 06:41PM

John Kohler, the founder of this forum, has put together a comparison chart of the major types of spiral slicers and the pros and cons. [www.discountjuicers.com] I own 3 of them (except the green Benriner vertical slicer) and like the Tsumapuro the best. Lots of choices at different price points.

Paul

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 14, 2011 06:45PM

Paul: That tool is over $100! The person asked for something between $20-40--quite a difference. I have the spirooli but have not used it yet. I paid about $32 for it, not what they say on that chart. According to online research, I found that most people who have both the spiral slicer and the Spirooli favor the latter if they had to choose.

Posted by: PatchMomma ()
Date: February 14, 2011 11:23PM

You both were a help, thank you!

I think I'll end up going with the Spirooli horizontal type slicer. I don't like that it leaves a core, but I'm sure between the 3 of us someone will chow down on that leftover. Looks like a price I'm comfortable with.

Thanks for that chart, it really helped to see all the features of the 4 types of spiral slicers laid out so simply.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 14, 2011 11:25PM

that one looks pretty nice to me too...hmmm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: February 15, 2011 08:54PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Paul: That tool is over $100! The person asked for
> something between $20-40--quite a difference. I
> have the spirooli but have not used it yet. I paid
> about $32 for it, not what they say on that chart.
> According to online research, I found that most
> people who have both the spiral slicer and the
> Spirooli favor the latter if they had to choose.

BW,

The main point of my reply was to show her the comparison chart. I simply mentioned that I liked the Tsumapuro ($90 btw, not over $100) because it was on the chart. I think the chart John has put together does the best job of comparing features. I have both the Saladacco and the Spriooli and like them both as they do different jobs. If you want great angel hair veggie spirals, the Saladacco is better. The Spirooli has a wider range of cuts. There are trade offs.

Paul

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 15, 2011 09:33PM

Paul, hope you didn't think I was jumping all over you. Just trying to keep within her budgetsmiling smiley

Date: February 15, 2011 09:37PM

I should also mention that if I were buying today, based on John's chart, I'd go with the Benriner Vertical Spiral Slicer. It has all of the advantages of the Saladacco with 4 different widths including Angel Hair even thinner than a Saladacco. And it's vertical so you get to use gravity while you make your noodles. And at $49.99 (above her price BW, but not by much), maybe that is why it's the one spiral slicer unavailable now on John's site. [2-15-11]. Thankfully, it is still available at the same price through other vendors to wit [www.cutleryandmore.com]. This is an example. Use the search words: Benriner vertical slicer and you should get the best price. I'm not going to buy a 4th slicer. 3 is enough thank you. But if I were to start from scratch, this would be the one.

Paul

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 15, 2011 09:41PM

and free shipping!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: February 15, 2011 09:41PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Paul, hope you didn't think I was jumping all over
> you. Just trying to keep within her budgetsmiling smiley

PM sent

Date: February 15, 2011 10:07PM

final comments on the Benriner, it's a carbon copy of an extinct spiral slice made by Lurch ( a company in Germany, and the Adams Family butler, j/k). The Lurch design like the Spirooli had the suction cup feet, somthing that didn't carry through to the Benriner Vertical. A design flaw. whoops, got it. It was called the "Spiralo" made by Lurch. [www.living-foods.com]. The Benriner is a Spiralo copy without the suction cups tongue sticking out smiley [comment, the Spiralo did not have the angel hair 1 mm cut that the current Benriner does, I'd prefer the suction cups for stability] No matter. The Spiralo is missed.

Paul

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 10:14PM by pborst.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables