Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Juicing vs. blending greens
Posted by: PatchMomma ()
Date: March 03, 2011 11:52PM

I've been juicing my greens lately instead of making "green smoothies". I notice I use a lot more greens when I juice versus blending and enjoy it more. Using more greens is just fine by me...we have an abundance of kale, collards, mustard and chard in the garden. I'm hoping I'm getting more out of using more greens for the juice, versus the few leaves I can stand in a smoothie.

It's a texture and taste issue...I just really prefer the juice.

My issue is....am I missing out on a lot when I juice vs. blend my greens?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juicing vs. blending greens
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: March 04, 2011 02:35AM

Well...

You are missing out on the fiber, of course...

And, the vit/minerals/etc that are thrown away with the pulp. That never bothered me very much. I juiced for years before ever making smoothies.

Nowadays, I like to do a mix of both - although I must say...now that you mention it, I believe I prefer juice to thick smoothies...

I got spoiled over the years by making juice with the Norwalk, since it is virtually pulp free.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 04, 2011 03:51AM

basically what he has said already, although id also like to point out you can make dehydrated "crackers" with the pulp, that I personally find quite tasty... although one needs a dehydrator to do that,lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 04, 2011 01:09PM

Juice isn't very filling. Seems like a waste to me unless it's for healing something specific, or unless you are using the pulp for something. I mean, I like juice too but it's an occasional treat.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 06, 2011 12:26PM

I used to do a lot of blending but it was getting me bloated, I switched to juicing, it is healthier for me. I juice a lot of greens drink about 3 pints of green juices in the morning and same in the evening, I only blend fruits, carrots, and coconut.
I do not need the fiber in the greens, there is plenty of fibers in the carrots and coconut. Most of the greens are not digestible raw, blending them does not change that, the milk like blend gives us a false sense of digestibility, it did not work for me, I felt better, lighter on juices, heavier on green smoothies. I drink greens and eat fruits, that is basically my diet, and it works.
Too much fiber is NOT actually good for us, you can read more here [fibermenace.com]

Posted by: proteus ()
Date: March 06, 2011 01:47PM

i juice cheap stuff like carrots and blend expensive stuff like spinach.

Date: March 06, 2011 02:13PM

I do not see it in terms of cheap or expensive but rather in terms of nutrients and digestibility, for me carrots juice is a no no, it turns easily into sugar, I need the whole carrot in smoothies or chew the carrot

Date: March 06, 2011 08:23PM

Ive never had a problem digesting any blended greens except kale... everything else fully digests easily for me, kale juice digests far more easily for me than kale smoothies do...this was in the beginning though, it was interesting, but after drinking lots of juice (mostly carrot and kale mix) I was able to digest everything much better, lately though I cant seem to digest anything right, even juice...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: dlj ()
Date: March 07, 2011 12:49AM

I prefer blending and eat my "smoothie" with a spoon as an "energy soup." Both the taste and the texture seem more soup-like than drink-like.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 07, 2011 08:51AM

dlj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I prefer blending and eat my "smoothie" with a
> spoon as an "energy soup."
Ann Wigmore was famous for her Energy Soup. It was mostly
Greens, and sprouts...lots of sprouts...and not over-blended.
Here's the way they do it at her institute in Puerto Rico.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 07, 2011 01:11PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:

> Here's the way they do it at her institute in
> Puerto Rico.
If you get a chance, watch this video. I can't believe
the amount of Greens, and especially Sprouts, that he packed
into his Vitamix Blender. If he drinks one of those everyday,
he won't be lacking for energy. It's no wonder she called it
'Energy Soup'. Notice that he only used a small amount of Fruit
....and it was non-sweet at that (avocado and zucchini). The rest
of it was Green. I'd like for everyone to stop and think a minute.
Would you rather run your Body on Energy Soup or sweet Fruit or a
combination of the Two??.....WY

Date: March 08, 2011 09:22AM

Maybe I have weak digestive system but for me it will keep me heavy bloated. I will prefer to juice them and eat fruits

Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: March 27, 2011 02:11AM

Jeeeeeez. Lets see how much we can stuff into a Vitamix o_O ha ha. I'll have to give it a shot. I'm putting alot more greens in my blends than I used to, putting more alkaline stuff into it, but compared to this I seem like a child w/ sweet tooth.

Could someone transcribe what he put into that energy soup? I'm hearing impaired and it was really hard for me to understand what he said.

Date: March 27, 2011 06:21AM

adamlogan Wrote:
> Jeeeeeez. Lets see how much we can stuff into a
> Vitamix o_O ha ha.
I think a good Rule-of-Thumb would be to make it thick, but Blendable.....adding water as needed.
I prefer blending Greens over juicing, because of the Cleansing one gets, as well as the nutrition. Juicing Greens produces a drink that is just 'too strong'.....WY

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 31, 2011 12:49PM

I juice.
I just cant get blended kale and collards down.
Makes me gag.
But juice is fine.

Vinny

Date: March 31, 2011 02:59PM

eaglefly Wrote:
> I just cant get blended kale and collards down.
You need to have a fruit base in your Green Smoothies. I've been using Hunza Apricots, Sweet mini-Peppers, and Cucumber...in addition to the Sprouts, and Greens.
I've finally discovered How and When to eat....a large glass of Green Juice in the morning, and a large Green Smoothie in the afternoon. This keeps me pretty much 'locked' in my kitchen during the day, but hey, can you think of a better way to spend your time?...Sprouting Beans and Seeds, growing Wheatgrass, juicing Wheatgrass..Carrots..Celery, and Blending Green Smoothies.
Happy Juicing and Blending. Both are needed.....WY

Date: April 01, 2011 06:38AM

I cannot get blended greens down either, for me juice greens in the morning and evening eat fruits for lunch and whenever there is a need to chew on something.
Celery is always in any of my juices, wheatgrass, dandelions, cabbage, indoor greens.

Date: April 01, 2011 02:07PM

mmmm, I love dandelion and wheatgrass juice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables