Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!
 

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: March 16, 2011 04:04AM

Like through a strainer?

If this doesn't produce optimal juice then what juicers should I look into for under $200?

I'd like to get into juicing. I already do green smoothies but I can't really handle two in a day, so a green juice sounds ideal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: March 17, 2011 06:12PM

It's been a day since I last looked in here, no one's biting, so here's what I have to say. The idea of blending then juicing is really frowned on here because of the oxidization of the blending process. Another concern with blending is the heat which can destroy the enzymes if it rises above 118 degrees.

That being said, there is the ITO manual juice press. Can't think of anything else other than the specialty wheatgrass/citrus handcrank juicers. Let me know if you find a better alternative.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 06:22PM by adamlogan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 17, 2011 11:41PM

well I was originally looking for a juicer under $200 as well, but I suggest saving up for a little longer and buying an omega 8004 for around $250-$260 will get you much better quality juice than anything cheaper, and a better warranty, they are just exponentially better than any any even only $50 less then them from what ive seen online, there are some juice presses that are supposed to be really awesome too, manual, you can get good juice from them from what ive heard about, but they just supposedly are more of a pain to use rather often.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: ron ()
Date: March 18, 2011 10:07AM

A vitamix is not a juicer, but can be used to enjoy foods in a little different way. For example I love putting in a half papaya and an orange and blending them. It just tastes so good. There are many other things one can do with the vitamix but juicing is not one of them that I am aware of. Even juicers have different strengths and weaknesses. I have a centrifical juicer, a masticating juicer and a vitamaix and I use them all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 18, 2011 11:06AM

I have heard of people using a nutmylk or paint strainer bag to remove the pulp after blending with a Vitamix. Actually, I have an Omega 8006 and I use a painter strainer bag also! Because I found that the mesh strainer included with it was allowing larger particles to go through. Now my juice has a more velvety texture. Someone mentioned oxidation so perhaps that is a concern. But then again, people make green smoothies in a Vitamix. What about that oxidation, hmmm? My juicer was $300 with free shipping. I think if you can swing it, it's worth spending the extra money because the price range you're looking at isn't the caliber of an Omega. You won't get the juice yield (I know--I have had cheaper juicers in the past). My machine has a 15-year warranty. It's also very quiet because it moves slowly, thereby being low-heat. It is great for greens, too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 18, 2011 03:10PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....... Actually, I have an Omega 8006 and
> I use a painter strainer bag also! Because I found
> that the mesh strainer included with it was
> allowing larger particles to go through.
I have a large stainless-steel strainer with a fine-mesh
screen that I sometimes use. It works very well. I could never use
a paint strainer....who knows what's in the paper?.....WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 19, 2011 03:56PM

What paper? It's a nylon material and I believe that similar bags are sold online for way more money...Like mine cost $1.99 for two of them and online nut mylk bags go for $8 a pop. LOL! And I don't like cheesecloth and probably wouldn't like hemp for this because it clings to the bag and nylon is more slipperysmiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 19, 2011 07:56PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What paper? It's a nylon material and I believe
> that similar bags are sold online for way more
> money...
Why can't you just be 'Normal'?? (That's what my mother
is always telling me.)
A Blender is for blending. If you want juice, use a Juicer.
Case closed.....WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 19, 2011 08:17PM

???? Your last sentence: "Who knows what's in the paper?" I asked what you meant by 'paper.' I still am asking this: case re-openedwinking smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 20, 2011 12:30AM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I asked what you meant by 'paper.' I still
> am asking this: case re-openedwinking smiley
I thought they were made of paper. If you say plastic,
I'll take your word. I do know I wouldn't want to drink Juice that
has been poured through one.....WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 20, 2011 02:01PM

It is made of nylon like this nut mylk bag, which costs $25![www.bidlessnow.com]

I have to once again thank Curator or whoever it was who recommended paint strainer bags. I saved a ton of money!smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 20, 2011 05:36PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have to once again thank Curator or whoever it
> was who recommended paint strainer bags. I saved a
> ton of money!smiling smiley
I wish you'd start using a nut-milk bag, and forget about
the money. How much could you possibly save?
Besides, those paint strainers aren't made of a food-grade nylon,
whereas the nut-milk bags are.....WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 20, 2011 06:22PM

Well, if two of the bags go for $51 and I paid probably $2.09 with tax, I would say that it's at least *counts on fingers* $48.something...Maybe to you, that's chicken feed but not Iwinking smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 20, 2011 06:39PM

As John Kohler said about the plastic parts of juicers and blenders, how long is your food really touching that stuff? It's only for a few moments, it's not like a plastic bottle of water or juice or something that's been sitting on the shelf for a year or so. Blech.
I think paint strainer bags are just fine to use. In fact, I'm pretty sure they are the exact same thing. There isn't any "food grade" nylon that I've ever heard of. All it has to be is clean and effective.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 20, 2011 06:48PM

Yes and I have heard of raw fooders or natural peeps who use actual NYLONS to strain or sprout stuff. I have also bought distilled water in a plastic gallon jug and it totally tasted like chemicals. Haven't had a single problem with my bags...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 20, 2011 08:08PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....... There isn't any "food grade" nylon that
> I've ever heard of. All it has to be is clean and
> effective.
Well, it's 2 against 1 so I give up. However, when I owned a Norwalk Press Juicer, I noticed a strange taste in the juice. I called Norwalk's President...Harold Arnoldus...and he told me their Bags and Cloths were made of a food-grade Nylon. They had been using Hemp, but the Fruit Acids dissolved the cotton material.....WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I juice with a Vitamix 5200?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 21, 2011 07:43AM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is made of nylon like this nut mylk bag, which
> costs
> $25![www.bidlessnow.com]
> ag-p-2007923/
>
> I have to once again thank Curator or whoever it
> was who recommended paint strainer bags. I saved a
> ton of money!smiling smiley


Im not sure, but I think it may have been me, cause I remember suggesting that to some one awhile ago but I dont remember if it was you or not, although I also suggested making sure to clean the bags really well first to make sure there where no chemicals from the manufacturing process still on them, as far as I know, thats the only difference between food grade and non-food grade nylon as far as the commonly available stuff goes, there are some industrially used forms of nylon which are used to make parts nearly as hard as steel from what ive read, I think one called Tecaform HPV13, and Acetal Homopolymer's, are really good, and food safe, but I dont know if they make bags out of the stuff... some varieties I think arent food safe, I dont remember which... but most are..

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.


Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables