Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Should I get a Vitamix?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 07, 2011 03:03PM

I was doing some number-crunching and I may be able to do this. It's weird--when I thought I could only get an Oster, I wanted a Vitamix and now I wonder if a Vitamix is really necessary. Let's say I was gonna go high-raw and there are two people in my household. Can I justify buying a VM vs. an Oster?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should I get a Vitamix?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 07, 2011 06:10PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .......Can I justify buying a
> VM vs. an Oster?
The Oster does have a glass container, but it's too small (40-ounces) for your family. I bought one for my mother a couple of years ago.
The Vitamix 5200, with the BPA-free 64-oz. container, would be just perfect for you.....WY

Date: April 07, 2011 09:59PM

40 ounces is too small for two people? Are you talking about smoothies being three cups each? When I make smoothies right now, I usually only blend 16 oz. per drink. Also, I don't know if the bigger container is enough of a justification to spend 3X as much! LOL

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 07, 2011 11:31PM

noooo, you should get a blendtec...yes a blendtec. That's the ticket. winking smiley

Date: April 07, 2011 11:39PM

Aargh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, Paul!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 08, 2011 01:46AM

pborst Wrote:
> noooo, you should get a blendtec...
Different people have different views. Blendtec is fine. Vitamix is fine too. It all depends on how you see it. I've tried them both, and Vitamix is my choice.
Sorry BW....I got you confused with Coco. You have a boyfriend and no children, and she has two children. Is that right?.....WY

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 08, 2011 02:29AM

yup

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: April 08, 2011 11:21AM

I think my Vitamix rocks!

Date: April 08, 2011 02:50PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> pborst Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > noooo, you should get a blendtec...
> Different people have different views. Blendtec is
> fine. Vitamix is fine too. It all depends on how
> you see it. I've tried them both, and Vitamix is
> my choice.
> Sorry BW....I got you confused with Coco. You have
> a boyfriend and no children, and she has two
> children. Is that right?.....WY

LOL--yup, WY. You got me pegged...I am glad you clarified because I was thinking that 48 oz. cup for two people is enough. I just want to be sure that the power really makes a difference. Watching that demo of five blenders confused me even more! The Kitchen Aid $150 model supposedly beat Blendtec and Vitamix...

Date: April 08, 2011 05:21PM

I think I mentioned this when I linked to that video on the other thread. the 1/4 cup of water they use in the comparison test is the key. Too little liquid and it will favor a smaller carafe with a tapering toward the base (which disfavors the Blendtec, which still did ok even though the test was silly). For example, if you hold the liquid volume constant in their apple/orange test, 1/4 cup as a percentage of volume of the carafe will be much greater in a Kitchen Aid than it will in the Blendtec 3 quart. To compare "apples" to "apples", you would need a proportionate amount of liquid to the volume to great the vortex when blending. By holding the liquid amount constant and low-- 1/4 cup of water is way low-- you in effect are comparing wet blending with dry blending. And of course, the wet blender looks better. The test was flawed.

I make a smoothie in my Blendtec 3 quart carafe everymorning. And typically, I use 1 cup of nutmilk or water against the frozen ingredients and fruits/veggies. So my liquid to solid ratio is much higher than the Popular Mechanics video. Since the liquid/solid ratio is much more important than the absolute amount of liquid, the test is meaningless. And "veeta-mix" is the icing on the cake.

Between Vitamix and Blendtec, lots of stuff on that already. But to sum up on where's there's general agreement:

Vitamix is quieter, has a longer warranty, can seperate the blades from the carafe for easier cleaning, is more refined, has variable speed control.

Blentec, offers greater capacity carafes [96 ounce], easier to clean, more powerful, fits more easily under cabinets, offers greater automation via push button programming.

Some of those will be debated. For example, I think the speed up and down buttons on my Blentec give me as much control as I would have with Vitamix variable speed control. Others will challenge the idea that Vitamix is "less powerful" than Blendtec [for example, first, it's model specific, the VitaPrep 3 which Yogi owns has the same 3 HP as a Blendtec HP3A. The other argument is that power is meaningless if the lower horsepower breaks and blends as well in terms of breaking down the food. For example, Kohler believes that the Vitamix blades are sharper than the Blendtec (I don't know but he has both models).

It's kind of a Honda/Toyota argument. Either way, you will end up with a great blender. I plan to buy a Vitamix as a second blender in the future. Probably the Vitamix Pro 500. Best.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 05:21PM by pborst.

Date: April 08, 2011 05:25PM

Thanks, Paul! That was really helpful!smiling smiley I don't have a problem with cabinet height. However,do you think it's REALLY worth it to get either one of those machines versus a lower-end model? I have heard both arguments: some people claim you can't possibly do the stuff w/an Oster, etc. that a VM or BT can do. Then you have people that say that all you need to do is allow more time and more liquid. And they will admit that the warranty and durability of the VM/BT is higher but other than that...not much difference.

Date: April 08, 2011 05:54PM

I think to say you can't do things with a budget blender than you can do with a high end blender is probably an overstatement. I own both a budget blender (my office Oster I mentioned earlier) and a premium Blendtec HP3A with a 3 quart carafe. My Oster can do most of the things my Blendtec can do, albeit in smaller batches. It's hard to compare the durability of my Oster to my Blendtec simply because I don't use it as much. My speculation is that my Oster will burn out faster than my Blendtec for a comparable amount of work. But that's just speculation since both are still working.

What my Blendtec offers me that I didn't get from the Oster are greater capacity (amount of blended material, the Oster carafe is only 40 ounces), ease of cleaning, the greater degree of blending for a comparable amount of time.

For a basic smoothie though, Oster does great.

Paul

Date: April 08, 2011 06:15PM

So would you say that if I were making nut mylk, I could achieve the same consistency as long as I kept blending? In the demo, the woman was blending apples and the VM became juice versus more mealy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 08, 2011 06:40PM

I don't find a regular blender capable of really pureeing things like nutmilk or apple sauce. The high end blenders get things smoother.

Date: April 08, 2011 07:45PM

banana who Wrote:
> So would you say that if I were making nut mylk, I
> could achieve the same consistency as long as I
> kept blending? In the demo, the woman was blending
> apples and the VM became juice versus more mealy.

I think you could. Your yield might be lower. But you should be able to.

Date: April 09, 2011 01:19AM

the cheap blenders work, they get the job done, and if taken care of very well they can even last for quite awhile... till recently ive only owned cheep blenders, but the blendtec I purchased, works soooooooooo much better than my old oster, smoothie in 30 seconds that took closer to 2 minutes with my old blender to get smooth, when making a smoothie with kale and frozen banana its completely smooth, my old blender got it smooth enough to be edible and all, but nothing compared to how smooth this is...

One thing odd id like to point out, the blades in my blendtec are not even sharp, they are dull, yet they totally destroy whatever I put in there in no time..., I love the soup function too, its as smooth as any other soup ive ever had in my life, and I like that it doesnt get really hot, just warm enough to be a comfortable eating temp... but really, I think one can still do super awesome with a cheap blender too, just take good care of it, be careful and thorough with it when cleaning, and I think the cheaper ones will be a faithful work horse... My last cheap one lasted me 3+ years, another I had, 5-7 if I remember right... however I was not using them everyday, couple days a week max

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 09, 2011 04:33PM

Yes, I think you are right, Curator. People abuse these blenders and then complain that they break down! The thing is, if you guys are saying that the VM and BT get stuff silkier, that is a big draw for me. I love the smooth texture that comes from a store-bought smoothie or milkshake...

Date: April 09, 2011 07:05PM

yeah, its pretty amazing, honestly mine seems smoother than anything I ever got at starbucks... which surprises me considerably, I thought they used like a commercial version of blendtec... it destroys blackberry seeds to the point where I cant tell they are there, but strawberry seeds is another thing entirely, it does not get rid of strawberry seeds, contrary to what some people have told me in the distant past,lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: April 10, 2011 04:50AM

Paul summed it up well.

Don't underestimate the tamper on the Vitamixes tho. Watch this video: How to Make Energy Soup with Kaelash Neels at the Ann Wigmore Institute in Puerto Rico, if you're trying to pack a bunch of good stuff in your blend, it really helps. It's basically plastic, and it's cheap: is hollow inside, but it helps me out a great deal when it comes to avoiding over blending.

For example, if I put all the contents I want to blend in the carafe, the tamper pushes stuff down into the blade. W/ other blenders you would have to turn off the machine, shake the carafe, put it back on and try to blend again. It is rare that I have to do this with my Vitamix. For a really stuffed carafe I find that the motor sometimes does not have enough brute force to blend, and I use the tamper to nudge things around just enough for the blades to get going.

If you're doing things in stages, the Vitamix is nice since it's simple. it's analogue, you turn the dials, you flip the switch, you're in charge at all times no buts or ifs about it.

I think the automated blends that Blendtec blenders do sound great for pre-designed recipes, but I find that I'm always changing up the recipe a little bit everyday. It's never the same. Putting all the ingredients in the carafe at once I would think would bind up the blade/motor.

I have not used a Blendtec so I don't really know if it's really more powerful than a Vitamix, or if it ever binds on stuff. Even still, bubbles can form where the same stuff keeps getting blended and does not exchange with the ingredients above it. Without using a tamper, you can see in videos how it takes awhile blending, then you'll see this violent turnover where the top half of the smoothie makes it's way to the blades.

I have not encountered a better blender personally, so that is why I sing my praises. I work my blender hard. Have not used or seen a Blendtec blender in person so I can't compare there. But for sure the cheaper ones really can't compare.

I know nothing about the Oster model you are checking out, since you mentioned that the carafe is glass, my first thought is how heavy that would be. I like the idea of a glass carafe particularly vs plastic whatever the kind bpa free or not, but I gotta tell you these blends get very heavy, especially if you're going to be blending for more than just yourself. I would probably still pick glass over plastic if I could, but yeah just so you know.

I drink about two tall glasses per blend. Sometimes a little more, or a little less, depends on how much good stuff I had on hand and tried stuffing into my blender =). A 48 oz carafe is do-able but you would have to throw in stuff as you go, there would not be enough space to put in all the ingredients in one go.

Those are just my thoughts, I'm not a devout Vitamix follower, it's just the only high end blender I've used, it's the one I chose from a couple months of consideration. My biggest gripe with it is that the carafe does not have clean lines for getting the last of the smoothie out with a spatula. Getting under the blades, good luck. I also don't like how the ingredients can bounce, I hear this is due to the blade not being stable or something. The variable speed, sometimes the power of the motor does not seem proportional to the dial. I think I need to buy the nut wrench and maybe tighten that. I would like a little more power, but my blender will still handle everything I have thrown at it so far. Have not tried making butters yet for example.

Don't let this drive you nuts tho, try not to over research as I did. It's just a blender. Most of the homework is done for you, go with the one you think would suit your needs out of the box and down the road. As Americans we are lucky to have such great return policies ;-).

This may sound slightly lame, but I was so un-decisive, that the clincher for me was that Vitamix was better business bureau certified and Blendtec was not. That and I was able to pick it up for $50 cheaper at Costco w/ the added advantage of a longer warantee and knowing that I would be able to return it there instead of mailing it. The latter advantage applies to Blendtec, although I'm not sure if Blendtec warantee gets extended, I think not but am not sure.

You should definitely invest in a high end blender & juicer if you want to go raw, and probably in that order too since blending is more convenient. They complement each other really well too, as juice or water is needed to get a blend going without working the motor too hard, and only juice - I would imagine that would not be nearly as filling as a smoothie would be.

Date: April 10, 2011 05:19AM

id like to state, in the blendtec ive been using, ive piled that thing full with lots of various things, fruits, sprouts, greens, and never had to stop and shake it, or do anything really, I just hit the smoothie or soup button depending on what im making, and it sucks it all down, and everything has come out smooth so far... but ive not been using it for very long.

Edit: also, there is an extended warranty, I got mine at sams club, for like $417 after tax, with the 7 year warranty...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2011 05:21AM by Curator.

Date: April 10, 2011 04:16PM

Thanks, guys!smiling smiley Adam, I appreciate the detailed response you gave me. I know that it's top of the line and Curator, I think the quibble often given the BT is that it uses buttons versus a switch (analog). Personally, I prefer the old skool approach to that one. You think of the Oster beehive model with the one switch and it seems longer lasting than pressing a digital pad that may not always respond...Who knows? I am definitely over-thinking things. I just don't want to get something that it "cool" and hip with raw fooders but not substantially better at blending for the price. Of course, it is probably more durable but even then I think you have to pay money if the carafe breaks or whatever...And what about shipping? I am still chewing on this...I'll let you guys know when I make my final decisionsmiling smiley

Date: April 10, 2011 04:23PM

Some places offer free shipping. Check around. If you can get a demo model at a show close to you you can buy it right there too. It might be worth it to call the company and see if there is a local rep with info about demo shows in your area.

I wonder how the blendtec does that, sucks stuff down to the blades? I have to add enough water to the vitamix to get it going when sometimes I wish it would work without any water at all (like with hummus which just won't go in the food processor).

Date: April 10, 2011 05:24PM

What kind of hummus are you making--with cooked chickpeas? I use a cheap food processor and it works great. Yes I add a bit of water but I would do so anyway to thin out the beans. And of course, lemon juice...

Date: April 10, 2011 05:33PM

It won't work in my food processor with cooked chickpeas or soaked sunflower seeds. Not the vitamix either, not unless I add so much water that it dilutes the taste too much. It's making me mad, this is one of the reasons I bought this thing. Not that I'd ever return it, lol. I do love the stuff it's capable of doing.

Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: April 10, 2011 09:05PM

Coco you're making me want to try a blendtec lol. I wish they had demos where they didn't present, just let people use the top 5 consumer blenders and the top 5 commercial blenders themselves. I'd like to see what the Blend Station Advance or the Quiet One is like in person. Like so see how the Warring blenders do too (the commercial ones).

Date: April 11, 2011 02:05AM

huh, Ironic, I JUST made hummus in my blend tec with their recipe, but i added a bunch of garlic, and an organic red bell pepper, and like, about a half a cup of toasted sesame seeds... and im freezing some... it worked really good, and I did sprout the chickpeas first...anyway, as it is I am really enjoying it... its not as smooth as what you buy in the store, but its close enough for me!

oh, and Nanners, I wasnt tryin to sell you on the blendtec, I was just correcting some in-accuracies in his statements about blendtec... I am not a blendtec fan boy or anything,lol, as it is... im not entirely sure I would feel this blender was worth it if it wasnt for the fact that some of the fruit smoothies ive been making, have been the only healthy stuff ive been able to get my mom to eat... for my own usage, I do really like it, but not sure if its really worth the $417... although the 7 year warranty DOES make me feel a bit more comfortable with it... just seems the profit margin is kind of high,lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 11, 2011 02:10AM

oh, and coco, I have no clue how it does it, unless all they say about it is right, like how their blade and container design basically create a special vortex or something and that does it... I still have to add liquid of course, but its not to much, and it just sucks everything down...I made a pudding awhile ago with bananas spinach and blueberries and a lil blood orange, then filled some small cups, covered them, and let them sit in the fridge, voila! pudding! lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables