Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

OMG! What about this one?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 23, 2011 07:08PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OMG! What about this one?
Date: April 23, 2011 07:23PM

It's only got a two-year warranty, but of course as a commercial blender that assumes heavy use. I love the slim design but I wonder if it's really for frozen stuff. They mention blending but not ice-crushing...

Posted by: syadasti ()
Date: April 23, 2011 09:48PM

Most stainless steel carafes are a PITA to work with - harder to clean, results only viewable through the small filling hole at the top. A tall thin carafe like that would probably need a tamper especially with a "1hp motor" - they don't specify its actual amp rating which will tell you how truthful the claim is. If you want to save money I would look at the 5 speed consumer Kitchenaid blenders I mentioned in your other thread with the polycarbonate or glass carafes.

Date: April 23, 2011 09:53PM

I forgot, did you say that they would be capable of breaking down greens well (like a Vitamix)?

Date: April 23, 2011 10:43PM

Without seeing an independent study on such claims the best one could say is the high power/speed blenders should break down cell walls faster and more effectively.

You have to ask yourself though, what is the analog of this process in normal diet which would mechanically break down cell walls to the same degree as blender can - nothing. Seems more like marketing fluff to tout its capability in that respect - even a cheap blender can out chew a person.

Also freezing breaks cell walls all by itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 10:44PM by syadasti.

Date: April 23, 2011 11:28PM

Thank you SO much for helping me to see that I don't need the latest, greatest toy. I guess I am concerned about kale and other large leafy greens wrapping around a less powerful blender's blades but I guess cutting them a bit does the trick, eh? But what about the Kitchenaid's blender not being BPA-free? I know you say that's a bit of hype but everyone has jumped on the bandwagon plus I HAVE tasted chemicals from a reuseable water bottle I was given recently. And according to one review, the 1 HP was actually 750 watts.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: April 24, 2011 12:30AM

It's metal and likely made in China... so it will taste like metal.

Date: April 24, 2011 01:07AM

The Kitchenaid 5 speed model uses 6A which is 720 watts or just under 1HP (1HP is 746 watts). For a budget blender its excellent and its computer controlled motor uses its motor efficiently. Keep in mind since its not as powerful it will take more time to blender and it does have a smaller carafe.

The reuseable water bottles that have the strongest taste or odor are not polycarbonate, but BPA-free HDPE (cloudy/translucent bottles) so you aren't tasting BPA. The original Nalgene hiking bottles were made of HDPE before polycarbonate became popular - they still sell them today.

I've found that the new lids on many blenders, both cheap and expensive, outgass (have an odor) when new. They are typically made of an opacque black soft plastic - I don't know of kind.

If you aren't storing food in your carafe or using hot liquids (neither are recommended), the risk is minimal. If you are uncomfortable, get a glass carafe for a little extra.

PC 5spd (I've personally used this one for about a month):
[goo.gl]

Glass 5Spd:
[goo.gl]

Deluxe Glass 5spd with extra modes and two carafes:
[goo.gl]

Videos (there is another green smoothie video I couldn't find):
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2011 01:12AM by syadasti.

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: April 25, 2011 04:56PM

How much does it cost? You haven't mentioned price. What's your second alternative based on what everyone has said? What are the trade offs? I don't know you but you've certainly but a lot of thought in blender choices.

Kref

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables