Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My new Vitamixsmiling smiley
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 16, 2011 08:11PM

So I got one. It's white, reconditioned, and I have used it a couple of times. Here's the thing: I am afraid to use the tamper! I think I should have used it for my frozen drinks. I got a few small lumps, and it was possibly because I didn't mix the smoothie around. My first drink was almond milk and after straining it, I threw in an orange and three bananas. Now that was very smooth and even though I didn't strain it, the machine pulverized the orange pith/fiber and it tasted almost like a protein powder had been addedsmiling smiley

As for noise, I agree with something I read by Coco: it's not louder at its highest level than my old blender. And there is something susbstantial to the noise--it's less shrill.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My new Vitamixsmiling smiley
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: June 16, 2011 08:28PM

How is it when you don't use the tamper?

Date: June 16, 2011 09:05PM

It's okay. The smoothies with frozen fruit left a few tiny lumps, though. Kind of freaked me for a moment because I expect 100% smooth-ocity. But is the tamper for smoothies?

Date: June 16, 2011 10:10PM

Bw, just to let you know, I got a VM pro 500 from Horchow during the down time.

And so, like you I'm still learning my Vitamix which I love (not gonna sell the Blendtech though ;P ) The obvious question is are putting in enough liquid? are you adding it first, adding ice last (as it is heavy). Liquid first and have enough liquid to go through the top. Once it's in, then see if the tamper is needed. If not, don't. Best.

Paul

btw, you still haven't responded or posted to a "we're back" thread. Might want to.. best

Date: June 17, 2011 03:55PM

I discovered that there was one of those air pockets on more than one occasion when I blended. It kind of freaked me out because I started thinking was it really doing so much more than the average blender and is it all just hype? Also, I felt that the tamper is a bit flimsy; I expected the plastic to be more heavy-duty. Maybe there is a reason for it, though. Last night I was perusing the manual and we are supposed to use the tamper for frozen stuff due to the areas that get trapped air. But the tamper is so long that I am afraid it will clip the blade and render my drink full of plastic bits! I think I should watch the accompanying DVD to make sure...How do you like your VM?

Date: June 17, 2011 04:40PM

It's great! Much better than my Blendtech. Gonna give specifics. But on the whole it's outstanding. I agree that Vitamix makes a better smoothie than Blendtec. At least for my 2.

Paul

btw, miss you all during the shut down. Great to be back!

Date: June 17, 2011 06:02PM

I was leery about the rocking and rolling of the BT plus some said it was not very substantail a base. The VM is well-made.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 02, 2011 03:17PM

Congrats! If you put the tamper in with the lid on when the carafe is empty you'll see it doesn't reach the blades, that would be a pretty terrible design if it did!

Date: July 02, 2011 09:30PM

Hey, welcome back, Coco!smiling smiley

It does seem to reach the blades! Last night when I made something I used the tamper and I was afraid I had caused it to splinter when it touched the blades. I still haven't watched the DVD. I think it's time...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables