Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Beet Juice
Posted by: spectrum ()
Date: June 24, 2011 04:51PM

I have been juicing beets for the past couple days. Well one last night and another this morning. I love the beet juice all on its own.

The I read that you should never drink it straight and limit the amount.

Has anyone had any problems with it?

My toddler was taking a few sips out of my cup and loved it too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beet Juice
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 24, 2011 06:32PM

How many oz. did you have? It's supposed to be a powerful blood purifyer so it may make you dizzy. Also, it has tons of sugar! How about mixing it with celery and/or cukes?

Date: June 24, 2011 07:45PM

I drank juice from a medium sized beet each time. About 200 ml.
It made me feel kinda buzzed in a good way.

Then I read it could paralyze vocal chords or cause a fever. I started to fell ill then, but I think that it was all in my head.

I was just curious if anyone had felt amy ill affects or positive ones?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 25, 2011 06:08PM

I feel high when I drink it but it is mixed with other stuff like apples, carrots, and celery. I think its detox effect makes you feel a bit woozy, but I also think that maybe it has something in it that mellows you out. I know celery is great for relaxation--I think it has magnesium or something. I have heard that about the vocal cords--I always thought that was a bit odd.

Date: June 26, 2011 01:40AM

It gives me a bit of a buzz too, at least I am not the only one.

Has anyone personally known someone who's gotten paralyzed vocal chords from it?

Posted by: FreddyZinc ()
Date: July 03, 2011 02:25PM

According to one author (Sarbacher), heavily dilute the beet juice, drink it, then eat apples followed by carrots immediately after drinking the diluted beet juice. This should remedy your problem.

My theory after personal experimentation as to what is causing the myriad symptoms is that when drinking beet juice there is a rapid influx of nutrients which can cause a sudden drop in peroxynitrites (which are basically free radicals) in addition to a sudden rise in blood sugar. This sudden drop in ROS and elevation in blood sugar can cause the normal mechanisms in arterial pressures to fluctuate mildly. Some have reported this same cluster of symptoms (and more) when consuming high therapeutic doses of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate, which is basically a form of folic acid.

These sudden drops in ROS and elevations of blood sugar can be offset by consuming cinnamon beforehand, as outlined by Sarbacher.

Very good reading if you get a chance.

Posted by: alisonott ()
Date: July 13, 2011 07:09PM

I experience as very sudden, painful sore throat when I drink too much beet juice. It feels like someone's been grating my voice box! It lasts 24 hours at least. Fine when I mix it with other juices though...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables