Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Couple of concerns about my new VM
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 24, 2011 06:35PM

If you own/ed one, please weigh in. I have made some smoothies with frozen fruit since I got my VM and in each instance, there were...LUMPS!sad smiley Not huge ones but I expect total smoothocity here. I didn't use the tamper...Could that be it? I also may not have let it blend long enough at high speed.

Which brings me to: have your smoothies with frozen fruit been icy enough? I don't know if I am getting paranoid here, but I was wondering if it generates too much heat and melts the smoothies so it's not as icy as my old blender would be. I feel like I throw in more frozen fruit than usual to make it really icy and it's freaking me out, the thought that it's getting melted as it blends!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Couple of concerns about my new VM
Date: June 26, 2011 05:59PM

Normally I wouldn't push for responses, but I would really like feedback from VM users on how frosty their concoctions get with the VM. Also, the lumps issue and whether you use the tamper for smoothies or not. I haven't been so that may be the key.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: June 27, 2011 12:29AM

BW,

Regarding the tamper and length of blending on lumps, I think you instincts are right on both counts.

I'm fairly new to Vitamix having my Pro 500 for just a little over a month. But when I make smoothies, I always add liquid first (at least a cup), then whatever I'm blending and lastly ice. I always start slow and ramp it up to high. I use the tamper to push down veggies and fruits if they haven't fallen into the vortex.

For time, I let run for 45 to 60 seconds. If you use the tamper the 45 to 60 seconds and still have lumps, then you have me stumped. Every smoothies, blended salad, soup I make is creamy and smooth with no lumps.

Paul

Date: June 27, 2011 03:13PM

Thanks for responding, Paul. I thought you had the 5200 also...I guess you're a VM newbie like mesmiling smiley In any case, the manual says not to linger on the lower speed; that is what causes heat to build. Strange and counter-intuitive to me but supposedly we are supposed to quickly turn up the dial from 1-10, then flip the switch from variable to high. I have found that content DO splash to the top, although perhaps I need more time to play around with this. I have never used the tamper so perhaps that is the missing link. However, the manual states that the tamper should never be used unless the blender is at least 2/3 full, which is a bit difficult when the blender can fill to how many ounces--48? 64? I never make more than three cups at a time. I was just a bit weirded out because the tamper touches the bottom of the container (which is probably why they think we should have it so full). I am gonna go on Vita-Village to clarify this stuff. I know this is a bit of an overreaction, but I was thinking of possibly returning it if I am still not satisfied. I can take a couple of lumps but I really like icy shakes (I don't use ice cubes but only frozen fruit) and I am wondering whether it's slighly melting as it's blending...

Date: June 27, 2011 06:44PM

BW never use the tamper without the lid in place, if you have the lid in place the tamper shouldn't touch the bottom!!! Hell, I would be unfcomfortable too. Tamper only through the hole in the lid after you remove the plastic top part of the lid.

My Vitamix carafe is fluted, wider are the top and narrower at the bottom. And the blades have a limited range of influence such that if the feed doesn't make it to the blades, there will be no mixture. My tamper like all VM tampers is designed not to touch the blades if the locking lid is in place. My thinking if I didn't want to use the tamper but still use the blender would be to stop it after 30 seconds or 45 second and use a spatula in the off position to push down the top fraction. Tamper works for me But I use a spatula on my Cuisinart FP all the time for similar recipes. Best! winking smiley

Paul

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 06:52PM by pborst.

Date: June 27, 2011 06:47PM

hmmm tamper touching the bottom of the container???? BW, are you trying use the tamper without the lid????? STOP!!! never use the tamper without the lid in place through the top hole. If I missed that earlier, my apologies. Tamper is closed lid only!!! Going to try to edit my earlier post. I'd assumed you were using the tamper in the hole in the lid.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 06:54PM by pborst.

Date: June 28, 2011 03:00PM

I was just trying to see how far it reached down. Of course I would use the lid. Actually, I am afraid of using the tamper for some silly reason. Why do you supposed they recommend filling it up so much if the tamper doesn't touch the bottom?

Date: June 28, 2011 04:45PM

If the tamper should never be used until it's 2/3rd full, can mean only one thing. They expect that a less than 2/3rds full carafe will be sucked in without the need of the tamper. Seems about right. My smoothies/blended salads are always right to the top.

Paul

Date: June 28, 2011 04:50PM

bw, got the pm, sorry for overreacting. Just wanted to make sure you didn't get hurt. glad you got it. sorry for my paranoia.

Date: June 28, 2011 10:04PM

Hey Paul, normally I am a good little girl scout and follow the instructions but I threw caution to the wind, tried out the tamper for the first time (even though it was only a fourth full) and voile! No lumps! I don't think I put it on high speed, though. I wasn't that ballsy. Anyway, I have no problems whatsoever in your tone. I thought it was cute, to be quite honest...

Date: June 29, 2011 01:36PM

Thanks. I think I let my imagination get the best of me, using a tamper without the lid. I should have given you more credit than that. Glad you are safe and the smoothies are smooth.

fwiw, I usually have a spatula on hand when making a smoothie in my Blendtec, same reason. Top material needs to get in contact with the blades to make it work. Best.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables