Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Questions, Questions, Questions
Date: July 19, 2011 05:06PM

Say, where's the FAQ?? Sorry if the following questions had already been answered.

1. Are there any general principles of smoothie-making? For example, maybe something like "no more than a quarter of your blender carafe ought to be ice cubes" or "half of your carafe should be full of fruits".... Like, someone was quoted in one of these threads about how the secret to smooth smoothies is soy milk!

2. Speaking of which, anyone have any ideas on how to sweeten up my smoothies?? I've used two whole apples or two whole pears and that seems to make no difference to a half-gallon veggie smoothie. I've also tried a cup or two of sweetened soy milk to no dramatic effect. Have you ever tried using pure honey? I'd rather not dump sugar in there (not that that's much different than fruits and honey, I'd imagine, even with all the fiber and whatnot)....

TIA!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions, Questions, Questions
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 19, 2011 05:40PM

I put a couple of medjool dates into the smoothie this morning. Usually I add banana so it's sweet enough for the kids but didn't have any so soaked dates plus the soak water did the trick.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 19, 2011 06:58PM

liquid first, presumably water or nut milk. Then lighter solids, veggies and hard or frozen fruits and ice last. Start low so the food has time to come in contact with the blades and ramp it up to high once the food has been chopped. Note: going to high immediately produces an inferior blend since many food particles "bounce" off the blades instead of getting chopped. A combination of low to high is better.

Paul

Date: July 19, 2011 09:51PM

OMG, how could I have forgotten about bananas...yes, bananas!

Thanks!

Date: July 19, 2011 09:52PM

Hmmm, interesting: so it's the softer stuff first?? I'd imagine that the harder stuff needs to be closer to the blades....

Anyway, thanks for that tip!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 20, 2011 12:20AM

The blender needs to get going, then it can suck the harder stuff down into the blades no problem.

Posted by: janeisgreen ()
Date: August 09, 2011 12:09PM

Coconut water is great in smoothies! I've never had to add a sweetener to a smoothie, but I do almost always add a banana so I guess that's why. Chia seed gel, maca root powder and/or psyllium husk are great additions, too.

Posted by: Twinki ()
Date: August 01, 2012 12:49AM

Hey, I know that your up in the air about honey, but what about raw sugar that you get from whole foods, or a vegan grocery store?.. Good Luck and let me know...

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: August 12, 2012 01:29AM

I'm pretty sure raw sugar isn't raw--they have to cook it at least to 170F to get it to crystallize, if I'm not mistaken.

I like using medjool dates or raw honey.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables