Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is Juiced Fiber Just Waste??
Date: August 05, 2011 05:04PM

My g/f said the voiceover on the Norwalk Juicer video on its site mentioned something to the effect that fiber is waste, that even rabbits didn't want to eat it.

Is juiced fiber just waste, then? Can I in "good conscience" toss it out, after all??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Juiced Fiber Just Waste??
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: August 05, 2011 05:26PM

JuicingBodybuilder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is juiced fiber just waste, then? Can I in "good
> conscience" toss it out, after all??
I'd say "toss it". It's a lot of work for the Body to digest and eliminate it. However, some fiber is needed. I like the fiber in a Green Smoothie, rather than in a Salad. Sometimes, when juicing, just eating a small amount of fiber, as it comes out of the juicer, feels right.
This is important...the right amount of Fiber (and the kind)......WY

Date: August 10, 2011 07:30PM

Well, WY, I don't really mind making my body "work"...burns calories, I should hope!

Main thing is, though: what's in that fiber? Just fiber? In which case, I wouldn't mind tossing it as I probably have enough fiber now, what with 128 fluid ounces of fruit and veggie smoothies every day!!

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 11, 2011 04:16AM

there are of course some vitamins and minerals leftover in pulp, but the majority should be in the juice... I have liked to use the pulp to make dehydrator crackers in the past, that was yummy, especially with kale.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: August 11, 2011 02:43PM

Curator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> there are of course some vitamins and minerals
> leftover in pulp, but the majority should be in
> the juice... I have liked to use the pulp to make
> dehydrator crackers in the past, that was yummy,
> especially with kale.

Yeah, I'd read about that somewhere in these forums (probably a comment of yours, even!)...I think I'd like to do this, make crackers out of the fiber, but so I would need a dehydrator, then? Is it time-consuming or otherwise a hassle??

Date: August 19, 2011 12:57AM

time consuming for the dehydrator, took me an extra 10-15 minutes to make a whole dehydrator batch of the kale crackers... although I do it in a kind of weird way, I kind of make a kale "Dough" using the pulp nutritional yeast, little bit of salt, and sometimes a hint of lemon juice or little bit of roasted garlic paste for taste, just a little though... oh, and a little grape seed oil, amount depends on how much total "dough" im making, usually no more than two tablespoons, and I have to add a bit extra water or other liquid to the mix to get the soft dough consistency, since my juicer left the pulp so dry, sometimes ive used carrot juice instead of of water to wet the kale pulp, but I dont think that is a flavor combo in a chip) that would be for everyone,lol... and then I would roll it out as thin as I can without it falling apart on wax paper, then cut out squares, and dehydrate them... the thinner they are, the crispier they become!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 19, 2011 10:10PM

As curator says some of the nutrients are still bound close to the fiber so nutritionally its not a waste if you can find something to do with it i.e dehydrated veggie crackers etc.

But really since i don't have a dehydrator ill chuck it out. Although you wouldnt want an all juice diet as fiber is very essential to health and wards off many degenerative diseases, also has many functions such as binding to toxins, essential for bile formation, feeding the gut flora etc.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: September 06, 2011 01:57AM

I feed the pulp to the worms in a "Can-O Worms" Compost Bin.

[vermico.com]

[www.wormman.com]

[www.green-logic.net]

Posted by: Simply Holistic ()
Date: September 06, 2011 08:35AM

Fiber is very important. It balances out the fructose, bulks up and makes bowel movements easier to pass, as well as very nutritional. We can all benefit from fiber! Not to say that all of your pulp should be consumed.

I've made a nice carrot "tuna" with carrot pulp. At the time with vegenaise, celery, and seasonings. You can basically flavor it to your preference.

Date: September 06, 2011 06:59PM

The point of juicing is twofold.

1) to get the nutritional benifit from more food than you could possiblly eat.
(by removing the fiber)

2) to absorb those nutrients more effectively
(by removing the fiber)

Some people do juice diets of 90 days with no harm, however no one recommends a purely juice diet long term. A raw food diet provides more fiber than SAD.

Long term juice is simpely a nutrition booster. Why all this guilt about cellulose? Not sure why so many have a fear of letting it go. One could just compost their guilt along with the fiber

Date: September 06, 2011 10:22PM

The point of juicing is actually threefold.

3) reduce energy involved in digestion, again by removing fiber

the trick is to get all the juice out of the fiber.

---------------------------------------------------
see John from discountjuicers.com uses the Welles Press to extract more juice out of carrot and apple pulp that was made with the Samson 9006 Juicer. Find out how the Welles Press can be used to extract virtually all the juice out of your juice pulp.

[www.youtube.com]

-------------
also

[gerson.org]
then scroll to Juicers for Cancer Treatment
and click at end of paragraph
on Hallelujah Acres Juicer Comparison Study

----------------------------------------------
This e-book will teach you how to make a manual juice press.
[www.juicepress.org]
---------------------------------------
the old KK
[www.juicepressfactory.com]

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 07, 2011 08:02PM

Add it to the compost - or find someone who will collect it and add it to their compost. Some people round here do a compost round - ie. collect other people's compost who can't or don't want to make their own compost. This is fab - far better than putting it in the rubbish bin.

Date: September 08, 2011 11:31PM

hah, I dont make it into crackers out of guilt for wasting,lol... I make the crackers because I really enjoy them, and they help get rid of cravings for salty snack foods. smiling smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables