Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

single or twin gears?
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 30, 2011 09:24AM

I am getting closer to buying my first 'serious' juicer. I have been watching John Kohler's videos and trying to make up my mind. I like the Greenstar and the Omega's but still have a few queries.

The vertical geared one - the Vert? seems to be slightly more efficient than the 2006 but is much harder to clean. Do I mind? well how do I know? lol

Is there an advantage to single or twin gears? I do like the two metal gears in the green star - looks wise (but is that relevant)

Are they all good in reality and these are mere details?

I will never want to just juice wheatgrass - but I will always want to juice hard veg. leaves, herbs and maybe some fruit.

Your experiences please - again!!! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: single or twin gears?
Posted by: Tombotronic ()
Date: August 30, 2011 11:11AM

Hi,
We were in the same position a few weeks ago. After a lot of research and considering the variety of produce that we were juicing and would like to juice, we opted for the Omega VRT 350 juicer. We have been more than pleased. Some of the things we have juiced are, carrot, apple, ginger, broccoli, kale, spinach, wheatgrass, celery, collards, cantaloupe, watermelon, plums, nectarines, cherries, grapes, lemons, limes, ginger, garlic, pears, tomatoes, mint, beets, chard, basil, cucumbers, and more. We have also made coconut milk, and almond milk. We do strain our juices but that is just a pulp preference and I did it with our old cheap centrifugal ejection juicer also.

As for the cleaning, it has really been a breeze. I just basically rinse everything off, give the screen a quick brushing with the big toothbrush and clear the pulp ejector with the tool end of the big toothbrush and it is done. Every couple of days I give everything a nice soak in warm soapy water and that is really it. I find it much quicker and easier than our old juicer, but that one didn't really have a separate pulp bin, the stuff just collected in a ring around the outside of the shredder/screen part.

I spend a little more time prepping the stringy produce*, but that is more than made up for in not having to cram stuff down into the more traditional style auger type juicers. You can see not only John Kohler's many youtube videos but also Matt and Angela Monarch do a "juice off" with a traditional auger machine and the Hurom slow juicer and it is a real chore for Matt to get the hard veggies plunged into the traditional machine. We have never once had to use the pusher that came with our Omega VRT.

*celery, kale, and other stringy type vegetables seem to clog up a bit unless you cut them up pretty small. It really takes very little time though.

Hope this helps you out!

--------------------
Tombotronic

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 30, 2011 04:10PM

Jan,

If you want to do both veggies and fruit, go VRT, 330 HD. It's better at fruit veggie combo's than the 8004. If it's just green veggies, go 8004. Oh, and yes single auger over twin gears. I own both and if I had it to do over again, single auger all the way, cheaper, better warranty, easier to clean (b/c fewer parts). I'd go VRT, 8004, or 8006. Best.

Paul

Date: August 30, 2011 05:48PM

Thanks - very useful info.

What is the difference between the VRT 330 and the 350?

Date: August 30, 2011 07:23PM

Jan,

Go 330 HD (high density) or 350. Don't go 330 plain (i.e. w/o HD).

In brief the 350 and 330 HD have screens made out of ultem, a polymer that is 8 times harder than screens made in a regular 330. The old 330 had a tendency for it's screens to crack that the 330 HD and 350 have mitigated. That's basically it. Only difference between the 330 HD and 350 is color and maybe price? Don't know if they are charging more for a 350 than for a 330 HD. If so, go with the 330 HD for the same reason you'd choose a 8004 over an 8006 unless preferring silver and black is worth the extra money (means nothing to me, silliest price differential). Best. Yours in health.

Paul

Date: August 30, 2011 08:35PM

JuicersUK seem to offer the 330HD and the 350HD for £379. This is only £20 more than the 330.

I've e-mailed them to ask what the differences are. The blurb on their web site seems to indicate that the 330HD can be white, or silver and black and that the 350HD is just silver and black. sounds a bit silly to me - there must be more to it than that!!!!

Anyway thank you for your information - more than I managed to glean from the web site.

Posted by: Tombotronic ()
Date: August 30, 2011 08:57PM

Honestly there is one major difference between the 330 HD and the 350 HD and that is the color. That is the only difference and I have not seen a price differential on those two models anywhere. Omega has a tendency to name it's different color machines different model numbers. We did a lot of research and trust me the ONLY difference is the color. This is also mentioned more than once in John Kohler's videos on YouTube. The plain old 330, I wouldn't recommend based on what I have seen. It doesn't come with the ultem screen and people were having issues with it cracking.

--------------------
Tombotronic

Date: September 01, 2011 07:50PM

sounds like we are all on the same page. 350 or 330 HD, not the the 330 original which I owned and upgraded with Omega to get 330 HD materials (I have another thread on Omega parts which would allow this.).

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables