Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

juicer is ordered - recipes please
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 03, 2011 06:41PM

Sooo excited. Have ordered juicer (which I can't afford!!!!) - the Omega VRT 350HD. It should arrive in a couple of days.

Please could you post some of your favourite recipes, any combo's best avoided, anything that works particularly well, any disasters. Any odd things that I wouldn't necessarily think of - like the melon, rind, seeds and all!!

thanks

p.s - I've got an achey joint in my big toe - hoping it isn't serious. Anything particularly good for achey joints?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: juicer is ordered - recipes please
Posted by: Tombotronic ()
Date: September 03, 2011 07:49PM

Our go to juice is just the standard "mean green" juice. 6 kale leaves, a cucumber, 4 stalks of celery, a lime (most use lemon I think), a decent piece of ginger, and two green apples. We also do one that is carrot, apple, and fennel. That one is nice. I do both cantaloupe style melons and watermelon with rind, seeds and all. I do a kind of a V-8 with lots of tomatoes, broccoli, carrot, celery, spinach, garlic, and pretty much any other vegetable I am needing to use up. hmmm. We have pretty much had good luck with every juice we have made. No real disasters except the better half REALLY hates beets, so anytime I have tried to sneak those in she kind of goes a little batcrap. The couple of things that we have kind of learned from trial and error are: Really chop up your stringy produce. I try to chop them in such a way as to make the stringy fibers shorter than the opening to the pulp ejector. Cut carrots up just a bit to lessen the number of reversals you will do. Like a lot of pulp, don't strain. Like a little bit of pulp, strain with a standard wire mesh kitchen strainer. Like no pulp use a nutmilk bag (we use the cheap bulk produce bags from Whole Foods, the work like a charm. Not the big bags for shopping but the ones they sell in the bulk food aisle,)

All in all, I don't think we do anything really crazy with our juice. Just experiment and try a variety of things. For instance, if we are low on Kale, we just put in a couple of handfuls of spinach, collards, etc. A handful of mint makes a nice refreshing addition to almost all juices.

If I think of anything else I will post it, but that is basically our core recipes. Everything else is a fly by the seat of our pants kind of thing.

--------------------
Tombotronic

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 04, 2011 09:41AM

Thanks Tombotronic

you said 'Cut carrots up just a bit to lessen the number of reversals you will do. Like a lot of pulp, don't strain. Like a little bit of pulp, strain with a standard wire mesh kitchen strainer. Like no pulp use a nutmilk bag (we use the cheap bulk produce bags from Whole Foods, the work like a charm. Not the big bags for shopping but the ones they sell in the bulk food aisle,)

What do you mean by - reversals? and I'm not sure what straining I will have to do - I rather assumed that the juicer dealt with everything. I think I'm just not following what you have said - could you explain a bit more please - probably I'm being a bit dim. But what does a lot of pulp, little bit of pulp, no pulp all mean.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 04, 2011 03:52PM

ive been using a 1/4 of a raw potato in my juice for about a year now and really felt it helped with my arthritic shoulder ( i couldnt even lift my little 4lb dog with that arm!)

google raw potato and arthritis

Health Benefits of Raw Potato Juice

May 19th 2008 Posted to Raw Juice Therapy

Potatoes were cultivated in the mountains of Peru for thousands of years, and were thought to have many medical benefits.

Potato contains high nutritive value. It is a rich source of potassium, vitamins A B and C, calcium, carbohydrates, iron, and alkaline salts.

The potato skin is the most nutritious part of the potato.

Health Benefits of Raw Potato Juice
•Raw potato juice has anti-inflammatory properties and helps eliminate an acid condition.
•It is good for stomach ulcers, as well as other stomach disorders.
•Raw potato juice fasting have been commonly used in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis since World War II. It is recommended to dilute potato juice with lukewarm water.
•Raw potato juice is a good liver cleanser if taken in the morning 30 minutes before breakfast.

Never juice a green potatoes or potatoes with black spots, as it may cause a toxic effect.

Due to its taste, raw potato juice is great for mixing with other vegetable juices, e.g. carrots, radishes, cucumbers, etc.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: September 04, 2011 04:19PM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ive been using a 1/4 of a raw potato in my juice
> for about a year now and really felt it helped
> with my arthritic shoulder
Jodi....Thanks for posting this. I'll give it a try
the next time I have Celery Juice......WY

Date: September 04, 2011 05:03PM

yer welcome Yogi smiling smiley my dad turned me onto it before he passed away .. apparentlymy granpa used to make potato pulp compresses and soaks for his achey feet .. apparently a norweigen achey foot recipie .. wish i could have met him smiling smiley

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: September 05, 2011 10:04PM

I have some raw potatoes, after my fast I will try them in some vegetable juices.
Do you mix it with greens or carrot juice?

Date: September 06, 2011 01:19AM

usually Carrot Happyway smiling smiley potato no matter how you slice it an dice it just tastes bland smiling smiley

Date: September 06, 2011 11:26AM

Hi there, by reversals I simply mean the number of times you might have to use the reverse switch on the juicer. Since I started cutting up my carrots or breaking them off into smaller bits I haven't had to use it at all.

--------------------
Tombotronic

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: September 06, 2011 12:18PM

Tombotronic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....... Since I started cutting up my carrots
> or breaking them off into smaller bits I haven't
> had to use it at all.
Don't you feel there's something wrong with a juicer that can't handle a whole Carrot without stopping, and the Reverse switch having to be used? It just must be underpowered......WY

Date: October 19, 2011 06:29PM

I don't think the juicer is under powered, I think it is the style of juicer and how it works. Being a slow speed single auger type I think it is just the trade off in using this particular juicer. I will say that now we have had it for a few months and we love it.

--------------------
Tombotronic

Posted by: cy ()
Date: October 21, 2011 03:33AM

beets,apples and lemon.it is the best juice.

Posted by: mandela10 ()
Date: October 21, 2011 04:24AM

For me I love the ABC juice which is made out of

- 3 carrots
- 3 beetroot
- 3 carrots

It's a really delicious juice. Me, when I am juicing, i like my juice to be both healthy and tasty.

To see a video of how to make that juice, go to this site [www.juicersuperstore.com], they also have some other juicing recipe videos, enjoy.

Excellence is doing a common thing in an uncommon way

Posted by: kalejuicer ()
Date: November 09, 2011 01:20AM

I formulated a juice back in April when Charlie Sheen was making headlines. I call it my Juice for Highly Evolved Warlocks. It is equal parts kale-carrot-celery-tomato. I formulated it for mental performance and (I think) mood. It is pretty mild for a vegetable juice in my opinion.

I vowed years ago, never again to juice califlower. I did it once. I thought it tasted like vomit. Anyone agree or disagree?

So far this month I am sticking with what I have seen as the "top two". Equal parts kale and carrot. About 20 oz. every day this month. Pretty mild, I think.

Comments welcomed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables