Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hello all, I'm new!
Posted by: Xamot ()
Date: November 16, 2011 09:49PM

Ladies and Gents,

My name is John and I have begun on this road to a raw food diet. I have researched Juicing for a while now and have only begun with it this week. This is my 4th day. I have a cheapo Juicer but for now it works. I do have a few ameatur questions.

1) How do you formulate new eating habits around juicing? How do you make up in hard foods that you dont get from juicing?

2) Whats a good juicer to buy for under $350?

3) Does you body have a negative reaction at the beginning?

As to #3, I tried a simple apple, lemon, red lettuse and celery juice and it was good. I have had a not so good experience with this recent recipe, it consists of:

— 1 bunch Red Chard
— 1 bunch Parsley
— 1 Lemon (UNpeeled if organic; peeled if not organic)
— 1 bunch Purple Kale
— 2 Carrots (peeled or unpeeled...your choice, depending on how 'clean' they look and/or if they are organic or not)
— 1 Apple
— 2-3 in. piece Ginger
— 1 Cucumber
— 3 heads Celery

Is this too intense for a noobie?

i look forward to learning as much as i can and engaging in thoughtful conversation with you all.

Regards,
Xamot (John)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hello all, I'm new!
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: November 17, 2011 02:01AM

Xamot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1) How do you formulate new eating habits around
> juicing?

I would suggest that you prepare a Juice meal once a day, usually in the morning. Keep the rest of your schedule intact. Use the *KISS method.
One good eating Habit is to eat the most 'liquid' foods first, followed by the more 'dense'.
*= keep it simple sweetheart......WY

Date: November 17, 2011 07:15AM

Thanks for the info. With regard to that green juice I made, I did notice that every time I partook it I felt somewhat sickly, mainly in the stomach area. When a body ingests pure whole foods like this, at such a concentrated, basically for the first time ever, is their a mild detox effect one may feel?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 25, 2011 10:04AM

Hi John, do you still feel sick when you drink juice? Could be that your tummy isn't used to concentrated juice, or maybe there's an ingredient in your combo that is upsetting. Anyway, it might be only temporary, but perhaps see your GP.

Also, alot of people on here like the Omega 8004, though I believe it has been replaced by the 8006. I'm not sure if the price is under $350, but it might be close.

Happy juicing
geo

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: November 25, 2011 11:17AM

geo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, alot of people on here like the Omega 8004,
> though I believe it has been replaced by the 8006.

The 8004 and 8006 are the same juicer configuration. The 8004 is White, whereas the 8006 is Black and Chrome, and costs $50 more. I own the Omega 8004. It's a good juicer......WY

Date: November 28, 2011 08:07PM

Just saw your post Geo, that leads to my next reply about someone inquiring about the 8004. I do think because the juicer did leave a lot of pulp and that it was so concentrated that I was not use to such a shock to my system. I have since stayed to hard fruits and veggies and am slowly working my way to straight green juices. That won't happen until I upgrade the juicer to something that can handle and yield better results wit leafy greens. Thanks for the info, this board has been a godsend.

X

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 29, 2011 12:40AM

I have the 8006; not sure what you meant by "leaving lots of pulp." The real test is whether the pulp is dry or wet and the 8006 leaves it bone-dry. It also handles greens absolutely great; the auger grips them. I am not sure about how it stacks up to the Green Star (which is much more expensive) but I have to disagree that it is unsuitable for greens.

Edit: I think you mean that there is still fiber in the juice. If this is the case, get a paint strainer bag from the hardware store (or if you have a nut mylk bag, it'll also work). I found that the strainer that comes with the Omega was not sufficient and so I strain the juice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2011 12:42AM by banana who.

Date: November 30, 2011 02:26AM

Well I have made a purchase. Thanks to my thrifty wife I have bought the 8006 from Macys (go figure). Regular $299.99 and the wife had a %25 off cupon she got in the mail which brings it down to $225 with free shipping. Can't wait for it to come in the mail... thanks for all the info, and the youtube videos helped alot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables