Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

juicer questions
Posted by: juicemom ()
Date: December 02, 2011 01:35AM

I would like to start juicing and after research, just ordered the Omega 8004. It was hard to make a decision without trying the juicers. I have never used a masticating or a twin gear juicer. I also considered the Omega Vert and the Greenstar 1000. I decided against the Vert because I dont like pulpy juice and I read that the juice was pulpy. I was torn between the Greenstar and the 8004. I want an all purpose juicer because I dont know what I will be juicing - probably a mix of carrots, celery, apples and various greens.

I decided to go with the 8004 because it had good reviews, was less expensive, and seemed easy to use. I dont know how much I will be juicing so didn't want to invest too much. I saw a video that indicated that the Omega 8004 was better for greens and the Greenstar was better for carrots and hard produce. Will the 8004 juice hard produce such as carrots and apples? I expect to make juices that are a combination of greens and something to sweeten it such as carrots or apples. Will I be able to do this with the Omega 8004?

I read that the Greenstar has a better yield. When I make juices would it be helpful to put the pulp through the juicer to try to increase the yield?

I am asking these questions as a juicing novice and the answers may become clear once my juicer arrives, but I just want some feedback so I can feel confident that I ordered the best juicer for me.

Thank you,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: juicer questions
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 02, 2011 02:37AM

I have the 8006 and supposedly just the color is different. Definitely it juices carrots and apples. I find that the softer fruits like pineapple are not the greatest for this sort of model but it still juices them just fine and leaves the pulp bone-dry. I can't imagine that the Green Star's yield is much higher but I heard that the Norwalk gives more juice so maybe it's true of the GS, too. But the difference can't be too great and the price is quite a bit more. The hard produce does the best, as do greens. And for me, that is really the most important part. Because even if mushy fruits are a bit awkward, they still get juiced, the machine is still easy to clean and quiet for a juicer.

Posted by: Xamot ()
Date: December 02, 2011 07:24AM

I'm another juicing novice and I just ordered the Omega 8006. Partly for the same reason you did, not a fan of pulp in the juice and it cuts back on the froth. I don't have it yet but I do have a cheapo vertical juicer. I needed something for leafy greens with a decent yield as my cheapo vert juicer is just plain useless in that dept. One thing I will say, it (the cheap one) does do hard fruits and veggies fairly well with a decent yield. At some point I will invest in a good mid level vert juicer but for now the one I have now and the 8006 in the mail is a very good start. Let me know how you like it as I see we may be getting them around the same time.

X

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 02, 2011 03:18PM

Juicemom,

I don't think you can go wrong with the 8004. It's probably the best all around juicer out there, including the VERT. I own a VERT and yes the juice is pulpy though you can strain it. I also own two twin gear juicers, a Greenpower Kempo (similar to a Greenstar but a bit smaller) and a Super Angel, the latter running about $1000 so probably above your price point.

I'm personally sold on twin gears. I like the design and yield. But for what you are trying to do, sounds like the 8004 is the way to go. Let us know you fare.

Paul

Date: December 16, 2011 02:31PM

I have received my 8004 and so far used it to make orange juice and carrot/celery juice. It is very easy to use and clean up is easy and fast. The juice tastes great. It is so quick and easy to use that I would never hesitate to make juice because of the time involved. I read that the auger can chip. I have checked mine and there are no scratch marks on it - it is intact.

While the pulp is dry it is not bone dry. When I made carrot/celery juice I put the pulp through the juicer once. At the end of that when I squeezed the pulp a very, very small amount of juice came out - not a significant amount. I would have liked to have had the opportunity to try out a twin gear juicer to see how it compares in yield, ease of juicing and clean up time. Since that wasn't possible, I am very happy with my juicer and do not regret my decision to purchase it.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: December 16, 2011 05:22PM

juicemom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....... I read that the auger can
> chip. I have checked mine and there are no scratch
> marks on it - it is intact.

No, your Auger will not chip. It was the previous model (the 8003/8005) that might have had some problems. Your Auger, in the 8004, is 8-times stronger......WY

[www.discountjuicers.com]

Date: January 10, 2012 05:27PM

Before I bought this juicer I checked the reviews on Amazon. Although the majority of people were happy with the 8004/6 a few people complained that the auger scratched/chipped - that is why I checked my auger.

Although I was very happy with the performance of my 8004 I did not like the white color as my kitchen is wood and stainless steel. I decided to return the 8004 and get the 8006, since the 8006 is stainless (the store I bought the juicer from told me that I could return it for any reason). I ordered the 8006, it arrived yesterday, and I used it once. I heard a grinding sound when I turned it on, but was told that this is normal. After I used the juicer I checked the auger. It was scratched in one area and there was a significant chip in the ridge at the tip of the auger in the same area as the scratches. I did not see any evidence of the dark brown auger in the juice or the pulp. It is possible that it arrived chipped and I did not notice it, although I inspected it. I called Omega and their representative told me that augers can chip on rare occasion. The store that I bought the juicer from is sending me a replacement juicer.

My original 8004 had an intact auger, after being used a number of times. If the replacement 8006 has a problem (and I really hope that it doesn't because I like the juicer) I will probably have to go with a different juicer.

I would appreciate any advice. As I said in an earlier post I am new to juicing and am trying to find a reasonable juicer. I like the ease of use of this Omega juicer, and dont really want to have to try the Greenstar, which would probably be my next choice.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 10, 2012 07:32PM

Stick it out with the 8006. The ultem doesn't cheap or chip easily. More likely it was a manufacturing defect in the mold. If you decide to upgrade, a Greenstar Elite is a good choice. Just be aware of the tradeoffs (more expensive & difficult to clean for a higher yield) so you know what to expect.

Paul

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: January 10, 2012 07:56PM

I agree with Paul to stick it out with the Omega 8006. I just looked at the Auger and Screen of my Omega 8004. There were no scratches. But when I turned the juicer on, there was a 'thump..thump..thump' sound. Probably because the auger and screen aren't perfectly aligned. I'm not worried. This isn't Rocket Science.
Keep us informed on what you do......WY

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: January 11, 2012 01:15AM

juicemom
I have had a Samson 6 in 1 for about eight years and it is not near as efficient as a twin gear but is really easy to clean up and does wheatgrass really well wich the twin gears are not as good at. They tend to use more grass and produce more foam. The Omega is a dual stage single auger and should be more effiecient than my Samson therefore would be a good choice imo. I started a thread as you might have seen and have been reading up on the subject for a while now so I think you have made a good choice.

Date: February 11, 2012 11:34PM

I continued to use my 8006 while waiting for a replacement. It did not get any additional chips or scratches. I guess that it came that way, which does not bother me. I just did not want to get any auger material into the juice. I guess it is not rocket science as WY says. The interesting thing is that my 8004 had pulp that was not bone dry. This 8006 seems to pruduce a much dryer pulp. After I juice if I put the pulp through the juicer again I only get a few drops of juice. If I then squeeze the pulp that is in the container no juice comes out. This 8006 seems to be more efficient at getting the juice out then the 8004. Maybe the production is not completely consistent. However, I really have no complaints about this juicer now. It is so easy to use and has extremely dry pulp.

The next thing that I need to do is to get some tasty juicing recipes. I'm getting tired of carrot/celery/spinach juice.

Thanks for your help guys. I actually decided on this juicer after reading some of the reviews on this site, in addition to amazon.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 12, 2012 11:27PM

It shouldn't have any noise like that. Sometimes I have heard something similar and it's the way in which you are inserting the auger. Make sure it's properly inserted and the ring secured. This is probably why it broke.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: February 13, 2012 04:30AM

just got my omega 8004 it juices very well for the leafy greena and that makes me very happy I don't like how it does with carrots though or even apples but I use my centrificalfor the apples and it did real well both are very easy to clean. I juiced some onion, ginger and grapefruit with the 8004 and am very pleased with its abilities that juice I might add is very potent just drink a spoon full it will really give you a kick
thank you wheat grass yogi it was the best choice for me I am happy

where to find a juicer in Barcelona?
Posted by: spaveg ()
Date: March 23, 2012 01:12PM

Hello, I would like to buy a low speed juicer.
Do you know if there is any shop or company that sells here in Barcelona, Spain?
I am interrested in Hurom HU-100 Slow Juicer or Omega 8004/8006. Which one is better, by the way? And how efficient can they extract juice from Lettuce, Cabbage, Cauliflower and Broccoli?

Also would like to know if there is any shop for twin gear juicers in Barcelona.
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 01:13PM by spaveg.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables