Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Review of Super Angel 5500 juicer
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 02, 2011 03:49PM

I've talked about my new juicer in other threads but not really done a review as such. So, I thought I would do a brief review, pros & cons & conclusions.

The Super Angel is a twin gear juicer made out of stainless steel except for the collection cup (currently pyrex 4 cup ) and a plastic pulp collection cup (the gaskets are a polymer also but do not come into contact with the juicer).

The purchase price in the US is $954 (free shipping) through Harvest Essentials. I purchased two attachments - one for nut butters & one for soft fruits for an additional $380 total from US Juicers, the main Super Angel distributor in the US.

The main benefits from the juicer are:

- high quality juice with little or no pulp
- high yield relative to other juicers I own (a centrifugal, a vertical single auger and another twin gear) & with dry pulp
- solid stainless steel construction with no plastic on the gears or housing (this isn't a big one for me as I think the reported risks from resins in gears are exaggerated, if there is no exposure, there is no risk. The fact that a juicer or blender contains a monomer like BPA in and of itself may not pose a risk)
- low rpms - 82 per minute
- easy clean up, 3 minutes tops. Though some on Amazon have complained about this, I haven't found it to be an issue.

I've juiced both fruits and vegetables, hard and soft and this is a trooper. Takes just about everything. I'm very pleased.

Minuses

- affordability, at around $1000 (or $1400 with the attachments), the Super Angel is the second most expensive juicer (non-commercial) on the market next to the Norwalk. For the same money, you could get a Vitamix Pro 500, an Omega 8004 and a Cusinart 14 cup food processor and have some change left over

- weight. The unit is very heavy about 30 lbs (around 16 kg) making it less portable when you have to move it. It's a little tank.

On balance, I've decided to keep the centrifugal (Omega Big Mouth) and the Super Angel. Going to sell my VRT and Green Power Kempo on Craigslist and use the proceeds to help finance the Super Angel.

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Review of Super Angel 5500 juicer
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 03, 2011 12:01AM

Hi Paul
I second your conclusions re the 'super Angel'. Actually, there are stainless juice and pulp bowls available (at least here in Oz) at an additional cost. I'm also buying the attachments for soft fruit and nut butters, and I like your term 'a little tank' haha, describes it to a tee. Those three angel trumpets on the side could easily be sub-machine guns haha, it's certainly built like a tank.

I have found that I have to pay particular attention to the fine screen, as the last time I juiced a lot of greens (2litres), there was considerable foaming. On close inspection I noticed alot of the holes blocked. I cleaned up with white vinegar, which works great at dissolving any residue.

I'd think that the screen would be the only real problem anyone would have with the Angel, or any juicer really. Moreover, fruit and veg combinations when juicing, could react with each other to form a sticky substance that would also block the screen and make it hard to clean. Perhaps that was part of my problem, since I was juicing, along with the greens, carrots, celery, apples, water-melon rind and shallots. Hmmm the shallots were quite sticky come to mention it.

I must stress that a blocked screen isn't confined only to the Angel, as all juicers would also be effected. However, the number of fine holes would vary, depending on the juicer. I'm not really familiar with many juicers, but I guess there are pros and cons for all models. Therefore, a person has to pick the combination of variables that suits them, such as very easy clean-up with only a small screen with less likely-hood of blockage..but low yield vs abit longer to clean-up with a larger screen with a high likely-hood of blockage...but very high yield. The latter is my preference, and I don't think it's a problem with portability unless you're travelling by shanks pony, bicycle or motorbike. Anyway, it's weight training...

Mine is the 'super Angel 7500'. The only difference with the 5500 is that mine has an automatic stop/reverse in the event of a blockage; whereas the 5500 has a manuel switch.

Cheers, and happy juicing,
geo

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: December 03, 2011 02:48AM

Paul and Geo....You two Guys have covered the Super Angel juicer very thoroughly. Thanks for taking the time. I've never owned one, but can appreciate the engineering from afar.
I guess I'm through buying Juicers. There was a time in my life that I had to test-drive everything out there. However, I would probably buy an 8004 upgrade, if Omega ever came out with one.
I remember, years ago, when Omega came out with their only twin-gear juicer....the 8000. I tried one that a friend owned. I didn't like the weight of the gears...plus they were almost 9" long, making them cumbersome (for me) to clean. I think the gears of the Angel are even longer.
Happy Juicing......WY

[www.discountjuicers.com]

Date: December 08, 2011 12:39PM

WY - The angel's augers are 8 1/2 inches long. But I don't understand why you'd think they are too cumbersome to clean??? I guess that for some people it's a big deal, and from what you've said in you posts, clean up is a biggy for you. And I'm thinking that you juice each day, and maybe more than once. If I were juicing multiple times each day, then easy clean up would be at the top of my list also.

Happy juicing,
geo

Date: December 09, 2011 03:31PM

As with most juicers, it's the screen, not the auger that takes the most time. My augers are spotless in under 1/2 minute. I spray them with warm water first and then brush them. Finally I spray with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to sterilize them and then give them a final rinse before towel drying. The augers takes me about 30 second. The screen takes me about a minutes and a half.

This isn't like other twin gears. Much fewer parts and excellent cleaning tools. On average, I'd say about 4 to 5 minutes for me per juicing.

Date: December 09, 2011 07:53PM

Hmmm well Paul, I thought that I was pretty fastidious when it came to cleaning, but you my friend way out do me. I brush the augers under running water with a big brissled laundry brush, then stand them up to dry in all of 10 seconds haha. The screen takes me ages, since I've noticed that even when I think it's clean, some residue still remains. So, I take extra time with it, even using a firm brissled old toothbrush. However, I don't use warm soapy water or vinegar unless I've noticed residue on the screen after they've dried.

I might take your lead here Paul, and do that right from the start, which might actually cut down my clean up time, so thank you.

Have you used the soft fruit and nut butter attachments yet? I'd like to know if they are worth the money and effort.

Thx mate, geo

Date: December 09, 2011 08:40PM

Geo,

I use the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide as a general disinfectant and cleaning agent for all of my food and kitchen implements. The combination helps reduce the risk of pathogens or food poisoning. But I also notice for me it works better than soap and water. I know John Kohler uses Oxy Clean. But some on the Fuhrman board say it is not appropriate for food and beverage items.

On the attachments, just one batch of cashew butter using the blank plate (homogenizing attachment). The butter was very smooth and viscous. Very creamy. Is it better than making it in your food pressure? Do you like your peanut butter chunky or smooth? If smooth, the blank plate is worth the money.

I haven't used the soft fruit attachment yet. But I have a batch of bitter melon I am itching to use it on. I will let you know! winking smiley

Paul

Date: December 11, 2011 07:54AM

Paul - Oh man I just love cashews, they're my fav nut and cashew butter yummmm. You've sold me, but I'll wait till you use the soft fruit attach. I'm so glad I bought the Angel, as I'm appreciating the quality of the machine and the juice more every time I use it. At first I made such a mess, but now I've found the groove and juicing takes much less time now.

Thx and happy juicing,
geo

Date: February 21, 2012 01:02AM

Hi,

Can anyone tell me, does the homogenizing blank of the Super Angel allow the juicer to be used without the screens? I want a juicer that is a solid stainless steel construction, but don't want to use it with the screens. I want to use it as the first step(griding/masticating) to the 2 step grind/juice press process like that of the Norwalk or the Champion/hydraulic press combo. I read the Hallelujah Acres juicer comparison study and it seemed it was the screen on the juicers that caused all the foam/oxidation. They found that none of the juicers produced enough heat to kill enzymes, but it was the oxidation from the juice being pressed through the screens that was the biggest problem. I like the Super Angel because of how well built it is and it's multi functions. I was also thinking about a meat grinder. I would love any knowledge anyone could pass along on this subject.

Thank you so much and blessings,
Jennifer

Date: February 23, 2012 01:24AM

yes you can but you need to purchase the homogenizing blank separately, not cheap, about $90.

Paul

Posted by: viccam ()
Date: April 06, 2012 01:15PM

Has anyone tried the soft fruit attachment yet? I just got my angel juicer in and am trying to figure out if it is worth the extra money for it.
Thanks

Date: April 06, 2012 02:31PM

I have in case I want to make tomato juice or blend pulpy veggie like bitter melon. I'm sorry viccam. I haven't tried it yet. If you can give me a week I will get some bitter melon and make a run and see. I bought both the blank plate and also the fruit attachment. The blank plate is very good. I got some great cashew butter (soaked cashews). But I haven't used the larger holed fruit attachment yet. I should. If anyone else has, please post. Otherwise, I will make a commitment to get some bitter melon.... wait... I could run tomatoes tonight.

Viccam, I will run some tomatoes through it and report back. Best.

Paul

Date: April 06, 2012 02:45PM

Sounds great Paul, thank you very much! Tomatoes will be a good test and would actually be one of the biggest reasons for me getting the attachment as my husband loves tomato juice, so thank you in advance!

I would love to get the blank plate for butters (cashew butter sounds awesome!) but with just plunking down the money for the juicer and now asking for the money for the fruit attachment I should probably wait a while before I even think about asking for the blank, lol!

Thanks and happy juicing!
Victoria

Date: April 07, 2012 05:09PM

Victoria,

I unwrapped my soft fruit attachment and ran the tomatoes this morning. You need the pusher that came with your Super Angel that is wood with a plastic or rubber ring around it (as opposed to the regular wooden pusher).

The tomato juice came out fine, a little pulpier than regular green juice but that's to be expected with the larger holes in the screen. It tasted good and I'm glad I bought the attachment. Is it worth $90? That's tough to say. For a little more you could buy a Breville centrifugal which would do tomatoes fine. For an extra hundred you could get an Omega Big Mouth centrifugal with a 10 year warranty.

The soft fruit attachment and blank were worth $180 to me because it really extended the capabilities of my Super Angel. But I could see someone opting for a centrifugal instead at slightly higher cost. Hope that helps!

Paul

Date: April 08, 2012 02:51PM

Thank you for the review Paul! You sold me on the attachment. Where did you find them for $90? I can only find them for $190 each for a total of $380, thats quite a price jump, lol.

Although it is true I could go with the Omega or Breville I really like the all Stainless Steel and superior juice that the angel produces so for me and my family the angel attachments are the best solution.

Thank you again Paul, that really helped a lot!

Happy juicing;
Victoria

Date: April 08, 2012 06:21PM

My mistake Victoria. It is 190, not 90. Does that change the equation?

Posted by: Dimon ()
Date: April 08, 2012 07:40PM

yes the juicer is making good juice,but after 3 years it brakes,like mine did.,even with 10 years warranty..they sholda make better machine..is any one of you opened?..go ahead you will be surprise what a cheap plastic inside..

Date: April 09, 2012 05:21PM

Victoria,

At 190... it's largely an issue of counterspace vs. oxidation.. The soft fruit attachment will juice the same fruit at a lower oxidation than a centrifugal juicer. Less foam... less heat but thing is a good centrifugal if you don't have one extends your kitchen capability so much. I guess really depends on what's important.

Paul

Date: April 10, 2012 02:52AM

Thx for using the soft fruit attachment Paul, and now I'll check out what it will cost me here in Oz.

Remember when I said that I use only cold water to rinse my screen? Well, I changed to using very warm water and I'm amazed at how well it removes residue. It has cut my cleaning time in half.

Date: April 10, 2012 06:02PM

Geo,

I'm sorry to both you and Victoria on my blowing the price. My heart said I hoped $90 but just the attachment costs as much as a new Omega Centrifugal. sigh. I guess that's like the guy who owns a BMW or Jaguar.... parts can be expensive.

For Victoria, the part worked extremely well. But you have several different ways to make tomato juice!! Best.

Paul

Date: April 10, 2012 07:55PM

Haha, I thought it was abit on the low side Paul, compared to the overall cost. What about that 'Dimon' character who says the SA is all plactic inside the ST housing??? Are they just trying to discredit the SA? I'm tempted to open mine up to see. Can't imagine they'd do that anyway, plactic gears just wouldn't take the force. Like, I can't even labour the motor shoving tough old carrots into it.

Date: April 10, 2012 08:41PM

I consider my Super Angel a long term investment, so I made the leap to purchase both units. I'm grateful to Victoria for helping to motivate me to use my soft fruit attachment. I wasn't disappointed. I'm just thinking how to use the pulp. It tastes great to the mouth... could be a tomato spread on a flax seed cracker. I don't know. But I love experimenting.

Paul

Date: April 11, 2012 01:53PM

Hmm, yeah, and you could add a little chilli to give it a bite...

Paul, I did take the top cover off my SA today. Hey, it's all motor, just one great massive motor with direct feed to the drive auger. The entire motor is covered in a soft plastic, and the front piece is also a hard plastic which is a little disappointing. But it just seals off the drive shaft anyway, so no real biggy. Man, that's all it is, a massive motor with a back circuit board that's no doubt a resistor to achieve the low speed.

Glad I did though, cause one of the three screws isn't stainless and was beginning to rust. I wonder if the other screws are just zinc coated too?

I tell you what, I don't see the money in it. Though I guess its the design that we're paying for, and I bet it's protected with heafty patents.

Posted by: wandawallace ()
Date: April 23, 2012 05:44AM

As long as it all adds up to be worth the hassle.... smiling smiley

[bobbyv.com]

Posted by: lklabelle ()
Date: April 29, 2012 05:35PM

Hi,

I found a great deal, if you live in canada.

You can buy it for 389$ tax and shipping in.

[www.dealticker.com]

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: April 30, 2012 02:55AM

Hi iklabelle,

That's a great deal, and I'd say go buy it before it ends. They maybe runout stock, but IMO the 5500 is better than the newer 8500.

Cheers

Date: May 01, 2012 07:54PM

be sure it's a Super Angel and not a Super angella.... don't become a dumpee. 10 year warranty. if it doesn't say it... don't buy it. Lots of rip offs and counterfets or old machines sitting around similar design. If it looks too good to be true it probably is.

old and cranky, and skeptical... but still breathing.

Paul

Date: May 01, 2012 08:20PM

"Voucher includes a 1 year warranty from Shopless Products Inc "

ummm... yeah... dumping old inventory, maybe just fine. offers expired. If you bought, you maybe ok. It's just read the fine print. Know why a $1000 juicer is suddenly $389... if it sounds too good to be true.... winking smiley

Paul

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 01, 2012 11:16PM

Paul, what's the diff btw SAngel and SAngella?

Date: May 02, 2012 04:17PM

Not completely sure. The USjuicers.com website that sells the original I think warned about Super Angela ... not sure if these are old machines being peddled or counterfits. In any case, the one year warranty is tip off that it is not the real deal. You get what you pay for.

Paul

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables