Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Review of Super Angel 5500 juicer
Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 04, 2012 02:40AM

Hmmm, well mine says 'super Angellia' on the box, but the actual machine says 'Angel' in large print and 'Angellia' in small. The word 'Angel' is pressed into the stainless too on the machine. Also, the words 'Angel' and 'Angellia' are used interchangeably in the 'user manual'. However, I do have the 10yr warranty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pertwee ()
Date: May 08, 2012 08:42PM

"I do have the 10 year warranty". That's all that matters, imo. Long life.

Paul

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 08, 2012 09:03PM

Pertwee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I do have the 10 year warranty". That's all
> that matters, imo. Long life.
>
> Paul

Excuse me???

Posted by: Cetana ()
Date: May 10, 2012 05:28PM

I just purchased the Super Angel 5500 twin gear juicer Harvest Essentials and I was a little concerned about the heat it was generating. Both the gears and the body of the juicer were Warm after a juicing session comprised mostly of greens, 5 carrots , 2 garlic cloves, 1 tomatoe, an apple. I thought the angel juicer would not generate Any heat that could ruin the enzymes in the veggies. Could it be that the fan is not working properly ? Or is it normal for it to be warm to the touch? The body was even more warm-- not hot but still. I thought it would stay at room temperature.
I was alos surpirsed by the foam- about 5 teaspoons per 1.5 cups-- is this normal? How can I have less foam when I juice?

Thank you for your time.
Cetana

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 10, 2012 08:46PM

Centana, I have an Omega 8006 and I never get foam. I also don't notice the body of the juicer getting warm! I would ask the manufacturer and actually (if you just bought it) maybe think about exchanging it for a cheaper juicer! At $1k you shouldn't get foam and heat!

Date: May 11, 2012 04:17AM

Cetana, don't worry about the heat or foam. It's normal for the stainless steel housing to get a little hot since metal conducts much greater heat than plastic. Also, there's actually no evidence that the heat generated by juicing, whether it's a crushing (the angel) or the slicing of a high speed juicer will destroy nutrients. It's also normal to get froth, and the screen is the culprit here. The finer the screen, the more foam you'll get.

I find that apples give me the most foam, but I don't worry about it, just use a fine strainer to seperate the foam from the juice. To get the most juice, you have to comprimise a little. In this case, you get some foaming, but you'll also get more juice, which translates to saving money on produce.

Also, I believe that, appart from the 'Norwalk juicer' you have the best juicer on the market. There's plenty of comparisan vids on utube to watch, and the Angel Juicer always produces the best yield. Some people say that their juice leaves only 'bone dry' pulp. Not true, as bone dry means the absence of moisture, and no juicer leaves bone dry pulp. If you grab a handful of pulp from your juicer, and squeeze it, you shouldn't get even one drop of juice from it. Now that's good test to see if you've a good juicer IMO.

Date: May 11, 2012 04:50PM

Thank you for your responses. The pulp does not yield any juice. With a previous juicer we would run the pulp through the juicer to get more juice out of it.
Any suggestions on how to Best juice BEETS? and Roots like Turmeric and Ginger?

Thank you again

Cetana

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 11, 2012 05:22PM

Cetana, my juicer leaves my pulp literally bone dry. I know the difference from two previous centrifugal juicers with wet pulp.

As for beets and ginger, since I would never drink pure beet juice, I simply juice it with celery, apples, or other juicy produce. Same with greens and ginger. I guess I didn't know what you meant about the best way to juice them. Ginger is super concentrated; I have made the mistake of juicing too much and it made the juice taste medicinal.

Date: May 13, 2012 01:09AM

This is where definitions can be different btw people, and even with common words that we all use each day. For BW, bone-dry doesn't literally mean so dry that you can light the pulp up with a match straight after the pulp exits the juicer. Where I'm concerned, it means just that, which means the total absence of moisture.

The reason I said to squeeze the pulp to see if any juice comes out, is that in another thread...'Juicer Questions' started by 'juicemum', she didn't know what juicer to buy. After some advice, she bought the Omega 8004 model which she was happy with, but she was able to squeeze out a few drops of juice from the pulp. Some people put the pulp through twice in order to get the most yield.

So, if your juicer's pulp doesn't yield any juice when squeezing it hard, then you've got a good one. And since you said your 'Angel' doesn't yield juice when squeezed, then you should be happy. Look at all the comparisons btw the Angel and other juicers, the Angel always yields considerably more juice...ALWAYS.

There are always trade-offs Cetana, a finer screen will make foam, and is harder to clean. A simple screen is easy to clean and won't foam so much, but there will by more pulp in the juice. An auger crushing juicer is slow, whereas a knife slicing juicer is fast. If you want a middle of the road juicer, then the Omega 8006 is the go. Fairly easy to clean, reasonable yield and price.

I'm thinking of buying an Omega 8006 for those times when I need to juice quickly and don't have the time to clean up properly.

Cheers, jalan x

deep nicks on the gears
Date: May 18, 2012 05:26AM

Hello, I have been juicing with my Super Angel juicer an it's going well EXCEPT today I just noticed Nicks on my gears-- not even where that the grooves meet but right at the second "stage" of the gears. I am concerned that the nicks will cause metal to go into my juice-- I don't care that much otherwise. I am a little disappointed because I just bought it. I’m not sure how it happened and I don’t want to keep doing what may have caused this. The nicks are pretty deep, not just surface. I prefer to not go through the hassle of trying to have them replaced because I just purchased the juicer so it cant be wear and tear.. and most likely they will say it's due to misuse -which may be the case-I'm just not sure what that is that could have caused the nicks. Anyone experience a similar problem?
Thank you

Re: deep nicks on the gears
Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: May 18, 2012 09:42PM

Cetana Wrote:
> Hello, I have been juicing with my Super Angel
> juicer an it's going well EXCEPT today I just
> noticed Nicks on my gears-- not even where that
> the grooves meet but right at the second "stage"
> of the gears. I am concerned that the nicks will
> cause metal to go into my juice-- I don't care
> that much otherwise. I am a little disappointed
> because I just bought it. I’m not sure how it
> happened and I don’t want to keep doing what may
> have caused this. The nicks are pretty deep, not
> just surface. I prefer to not go through the
> hassle of trying to have them replaced because I
> just purchased the juicer so it cant be wear and
> tear.. and most likely they will say it's due to
> misuse -which may be the case-I'm just not sure
> what that is that could have caused the nicks.
> Anyone experience a similar problem?
> Thank you

I don't believe you.

Kref

Date: May 19, 2012 02:30AM

There's no way that could happen with use or misuse, since you said the 'nicks' are at the second stage of the gears. They don't even meet together; therefore, it must be a manufacturing problem. Even if these 'nicks' were at the point where the produce is crushed, there would have to be a major misalignment for that to happen, since the gears would have to connect in a way that would chip the metal gears.

So no,it could NOT happen with use; therefore, it MUST be a manufacturing fault which you hadn't noticed until now.

jalan

Nicks on gears
Date: May 19, 2012 06:23AM

Thank you Jalanutan. The nicks are right after the helical gear --at the first “groove” of low speed corn screw. Could it be the extracting housing does not fit properly and grinding against the gears? But wouldn't I hear it? Also when the gears become overloaded with pulp they begin to squeak. I hope US Juicers don’t give me a hard time about replacing the gears, since, I agree, I don't know how I could have misused the machine to damage the screws at that spot. The juice itself is still amazing, but it may have bits of steel in it-- is there any nutritional value in stainless steel. smiling smiley

Date: May 19, 2012 03:55PM

Cetana, there shouldn't be any squeaking either, but if the strainer housing is touching that part of the gears, have a look inside the sieve attachment and you should be able to see where it's rubbing.

The location of those nicks shouldn't interfere with the juicing process anyway, but definately sounds like a manufacturing problem. And according to Juicin John, it seems as though there's a lot of models out there too. Has your's a 10yr warrantee? If so, then you should have not trouble getting the problem fixed, though I guess it depends on where you bought it.

Oh, I don't think stainless steel filings is a good way to get your dietry 'iron' LOL smiling smiley that's a concern if the gears are indeed touching the strainer housing.

Date: May 21, 2012 05:52PM

I have been operating my Super Angel for some time now without complaint or problem. I clean it when I'm done in under 5 minutes. The juice is always rich; the pulp, bone dry. 10 year service warranty on the gears and motor compared to 5 for the Green Star Elite. All stainless steel contact surfaces compared metal and plastic on the Green Star Elite with it pulp spring. Lower rpms 80 v. 110. I'm glad I bought my Super Angel. I've purchased two add on's, a blank plate and soft juice place. I like the company. Whatever is past is past. I respect Johnk's perspective. He got burned by Angel management at the time. I don't know who's running the ship now but they have a winning product. That's my reassurance.

Paul

Date: May 21, 2012 06:29PM

I use my Super Angel daily for green juice but could use it for anything... fruit juice, nut butters, sorbets. It's a wonderful design. That if you want live a long time, you don't juice fruits, at least not many. You keep them whole and eat them whole. Gerson Therapy doesn't involve fruits. nor do most. It's a vegetable juicer... and juicing veggies are what it does best. Fruit juice maybe for recipes if you don't eat simply. I eat simply. So my fruits are whole.

Paul

Re: Review of Super Angel 5500 juicer- Anyone have experience with US Juicers?
Date: May 21, 2012 10:28PM

Thank you for your comments Jalanutan about the housing. Paul -what vendor did you use?
I called US Juicers and automatically his first comment is that i must be doing something wrong-- that I am probably sticking metal inside the housing - which makes no sense because the nicks are on the second part of the gears where I couldn’t touch them with anything if I tried—Unless I took the housing off and stuck a fork between the gears to damage my own juicer—hmm why would I do that?
US Juicers asked me send a picture and they will determine if a warranty will cover this. —So I’ll keep you posted—Anyone have experience with USJuicers? Could I go to someone else and have the nicks fixed – but then if it is a housing problem then I need a new housing as well.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: May 21, 2012 11:03PM

cetana.....i hope this link can clue you in on what kinda of company you are dealing with.

[www.youtube.com]

juicin'john

Date: May 22, 2012 07:05PM

Cetana,

To answer your question, I used Harvest Essentials if I remember right. They've been great. On your nics, how big? I would reflect on what was put through the juicer before you noticed the nics. it's a tough one because if it was operator error, that would be outside of any warranty. A manufacturing defect would be pretty distinctive. Did you notice any difference in performance before or after the nics? I wish you well. Do let us know what happens. And also, I did respond to JJ on the other thread. [www.rawfoodsupport.com]. I continue to love my Super Angel and would not hesitate to confront the company if they tried to back out of their warranty. Cetana, would it be ok with you if I put in a good word on your behalf with the company? I would need your permission to do this so if I don't hear back I won't.

Paul

Date: May 22, 2012 07:20PM

Cetana,

One alternative to keep in mind is a request for a discount on a replacement set of gears. Usually, a look at the gears should tell what happened. That said, manufacturers are eager to get problems behind them. if and only if you think you may be partially at fault but are not sure consider asking for a credit on a set of replacement augers. At $240, they aren't cheap. [www.usjuicers.com] That said, if you think you might be partially responsible, consider asking for a credit (a discount, money against full price) against a set of replacement augers. It's $240 full price. If you think you may be partly at fault, offer a request for 50 percent credit, $120 and see what they say. If you honestly think the gears that came in your machine were defective, hold out. Take pictures, get a photobucket account and let us see them. I like USJuicers but that's based on my experience, not yours. Let's see where this takes us.

Paul

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2012 07:21PM by pborst.

Date: May 23, 2012 04:06PM

Cetana,

One other thing. A while back you mentioned foam being an issue. Try adding just a few drops of olive oil or flax seed oil during the juicing and see if it helps.

Paul

Date: May 23, 2012 06:44PM

Thank you Paul—I’ll get a photo bucket account. I agree Harvest Essentials has been great. US Juicers I'm not sure yet. The fellow was quick to say it was my fault- I’ve sent them photos with a description but I have not heard back- I am waiting until the end of the week. Harvest Essentials also recommended I speak with the manufacturer- Crown Equipment-mostly because of the gears squeaking. Does this happen to your Angel Juicer after you juice a quart?
I'm glad you have had a good experience with USJuicers. Your help would be greatly appreciated. I would definitely consider credit but I’m not sure how to approach them- He was not very communicative. I’m not sure it’s my fault even mostly based on the comments on this forum that say it would be very hard to damage gears at that spot- the second part of the gears- the "Slow Corn Screw" part-- there's no damage at the helical part- the 1st stage of the gears where you feed the fruit thru.
Thank you again for your help with this. Cetana is my forum name- I can forward you the email with pics that I sent them. How? Thank you again for taking the time to help out. I really like the machine otherwise- the juice is amazing and the pulp is almost dry.

Date: May 23, 2012 10:30PM

Cetana,

my juicer does not squeak. It might be worth getting a Misto Oil Sprayer and spraying a thin coating of canola oil on the gears to see if it helps.

I wanted to share a couple of thoughts to give you some more options. First, US Juicers is a member of the Better Business Bureau and has only one complaint against them and have an A rating. [www.la.bbb.org] That means that their reputation is important to them. One option is to file a complaint or consider doing so if they do not honor their agreement. Obviously, this would only be if it turns out to be a manufacturing defect. But that can give you some inexpensive leverage. Filing or threatening to file a negative review on Amazon is another. I mentioned how few negative reviews they had. They may be willing to work with you if you are willing to reciprocate. If it's a manufacturing defect, hold your ground and gently pressure them to honor their warranty. If you aren't sure, you might consider the credit request I had mentioned. As for $120 credit and see what they give you. I think they would rather maintain high satisfaction than see a story like that get around the web.

One way or the other, they should make it right. It is a strange place to have a nic. I would have thought if anywhere it would be the first stage.

Paul

Date: May 23, 2012 10:52PM

Hi Paul- thanks again-- when you say $120 Credit do you mean to just ask them for a discount? How does the credit work?-- Sorry I am knew to this-- I am not really a consumer on large scale like this - I avoid these kinds of purchases- I've made very few of them and I have been lucky in the past-- this is the first time I have had to deal with something like this, appreciate the help
Cetana

Date: May 23, 2012 11:04PM

Cetana,

Yes, a discount. But only if you think you were partly responsible or not sure. Don't ask for it until they give you an answer. I agree with JJ, and Geoff that it sounds like a manufacturing defect. Asking for a credit or discount are pretty much the same thing. It's only a back up though. They should replace the part if the nic is manufacturing or if the nic happened as a result of normal wear and tear. A gear like that shouldn't nic with normal use unless you put an olive pit or something like that into the juicer.

Also, keep the BBB and Amazon options in mind in case you need to raise the ante. Work with them. But don't let them bully you!!!

Paul

Date: May 23, 2012 11:52PM

Thank You ..I'll wait to see what they say. In your opinion do you think the nics can cause leaching or toxins in the fruit juice ?

Date: May 24, 2012 12:06AM

Cetana,

I doubt it. Stainless steel is generally an allow of iron, nickel and chromium which are bound in metal form. It may oxidize slowly, but is a fairly inert material. I would feel more comfortable with all stainless gears than the metal/plastic mix in most twin gears.

Paul

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: May 24, 2012 03:41AM

(response is a reprint from another thread)

Pborst

let it be known that the statement you made regarding the .004 clearance of the Super Angel dual gears is false.

obviously US Juicers has taken the liberty to copy the Tribest Twin Gear marketing information and in their own ignorant and erroneous way applied it to the Super Angel.

the alls stainless steel dual gears of the Angel absolutely MUST touch in order for the drive gear to turn the free wheeeling gear. (laws of physics) otherwise you would have to attribute the turning to magic or something beyond belief.

therefore the toxic stainless steel particles which contain nickel..... a known carcinogen and DNA repair inhibitor ..... are scraped off in minute quantities and introduced into the juice each and every time a person makes juice in the machine.

if the second stage gear nicks and pits so easily....consistent friction from the drive gear turning and possibly also from the gear teeth themselves "intermeshing" as this drawing from the Angel website seems to illustrate.(see link below) indicates no doubt that stainless steel powder containing the carcinogen nickel are in the juice produced by the Super Angel.

[angeljuicercompany.com]

i hope to give a warning to any who may be concerned about maybe "walking down a blind alley".

juicin' john

Date: May 24, 2012 08:01AM

JJ, as with all dual gear juicers I believe, one drive gear turns the other as you say, but the mix up is concerning the cork screw section where the nicks are found in Cetana's machine. These do not touch; therefore, it must be a manufacturing fault.

Regarding the stainless steel used for the gear, the type 304 stainless is extremely durable and wear resistant. It contains a minimum of 18% chromium and only 8% Nickle, combined with a maximum of 0.08% carbon. This ST is used in the Angel 5500 and is harder, with more wear resistance than the newer 8500 Angel, which has type 316 grade stainless. The type 316 looks shinier, but isn't as hard.

Where my Angel's gears contact, it just looked polished. Therefore, anything that is as you say, 'scraped off' is indeed minute. Anyway, I'd rather stainless than plactic any day. As well, the Green Star Elite also uses part stainless gears and rotates at a faster speed, so logically there'd be more metal 'scraped off'. So, is that juicer also in your bad books?

I believe that both Paul and myself give other juicers due praise, depending on what your needs are. Can I ask you John, why you are so down on the Angel?

Cheers, jalan

Date: May 24, 2012 03:23PM

juicin' john Wrote:
> (response is a reprint from another thread)
>
>
> Pborst
>
> let it be known that the statement you made
> regarding the .004 clearance of the Super Angel
> dual gears is false.

based on what? the fact that they may touch at some point close to the base? Rubbish? Do you own a Super Angel JJ?

> obviously US Juicers has taken the liberty to copy
> the Tribest Twin Gear marketing information and in
> their own ignorant and erroneous way applied it to
> the Super Angel.

not at all, several companies make the same type of juicer and gear tolerances are commonly accepted, even if they touch at the base near the motor and flare out.

> the alls stainless steel dual gears of the Angel
> absolutely MUST touch in order for the drive gear
> to turn the free wheeeling gear. (laws of physics)
> otherwise you would have to attribute the turning
> to magic or something beyond belief.

I agree they touch near the base and then flare out with where they do not touch but are close, pretty clever design really, maybe that's why the Super Angel extracts more juice than other twin gears juicers with their plastic/metal augers.

> therefore the toxic stainless steel particles
> which contain nickel..... a known carcinogen and
> DNA repair inhibitor .

Authority? nickel carbonyl which an organic form of the metal is a carcinogen. The nickel in the stainless steel is nickel metal which isn't.

.... are scraped off in
> minute quantities and introduced into the juice
> each and every time a person makes juice in the
> machine.

nonsense. There are Toyotas with 200,000 miles with the original metal gears and little to no wear with the original transmission, and they are touching through out. The Super Angel rotates at 82 rpms, very slow unlike cars or centrifugal juicers. Next you will be telling me about chromium but again chromium metal isn't a carcinogen, hexavalent chromium is but whoops, that's not in stainless steel is it? What polymer is your GSE auger made from John? What monomers do they have? How safe are they?

> if the second stage gear nicks and pits so
> easily....consistent friction from the drive gear
> turning and possibly also from the gear teeth
> themselves "intermeshing" as this drawing from the
> Angel website seems to illustrate.(see link below)
> indicates no doubt that stainless steel powder
> containing the carcinogen nickel are in the juice
> produced by the Super Angel.

nonsense, stop your fear mongering. Your link doesn't work. Your facts are wrong. Let Cetana resolve his issue without raising his anxiety inappropriately.

> i hope to give a warning to any who may be
> concerned about maybe "walking down a blind
> alley".

No, you intend to trash a competitor to the Greenstar Elite because you have nothing better to do with your time, more's the pity.

The fact remains that the Greenstar Elite is a great juicer, but like all juicers, one with trade offs. An Omega 8004 is cheaper, a Super Angel outperforms it. I have no argument, John, with discussing tradeoffs. Just document your claims as I have and tell it straight.

I can see somebody saying, "I can't spend $1000 on a juicer but I want a Twin Gear design". For that person, GSE can be a great choice (though an Omega 8004 is probably a better one for the money). Can you see the opposite scenario??? The consumer has the funds and maybe is comparing a Norwalk and a Super Angel or a Super Angel and a GSE. There are tradeoffs in terms of time, money, warranty, etc. Let's talk about the tradeoffs, what you give up and what you get back. My only plea. I honestly have nothing against Tribest, or the GSE. I do object to your fear mongering though. Clean it up.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 03:25PM by pborst.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables