Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What Type of Produce to Juice First & Last?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 06, 2011 01:45AM

Although I've juiced over the years, this is the first time I'm actually serious about it. Since I bought my juicer, I've naturally been juicing the vegies that I'll be juicing the most of first, such as carrots, and then the rest last, that usually happen to be soft, like apples. I usually juice around 2litres at a time, but by the time I get to the apples or other soft fruit (lemon/lime) it takes ages cause I've found that many of the small holes in the screen are blocked.

Now is that just because I've juiced so much at one time, and just have to clean the screen after I've juiced say a litre, or should I juice the soft produce first, before the holes get blocked by the large fibres of the harder vegies?

Thx for any help with this,
Cheers, geo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Type of Produce to Juice First & Last?
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: December 06, 2011 09:06AM

geo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .....should I juice the
> soft produce first, before the holes get blocked
> by the large fibres of the harder vegies?

I remember trying to juice Apples with my Omega 8004, and ending up with Applesauce rather than Apple Juice. Apples are just difficult, and besides, Apple Juice is too sweet anyway. I limit my juicing to Carrots, and Celery, and, on rare occasions, Wheatgrass. No sense trying to juice something that's going to give you a hard-time no matter what Juicer you use......WY

Date: December 07, 2011 12:02AM

Thx WY, that sounds logical. However, I do have a sweet tooth, as I add an apple or two with green juice to counter the bitters. Another thing is that I don't get apple sauce as you did, and I was surprised that my juicer sort of keeps on reworking the pulp until it's all gone through as dry waste or juice. I watch it work through the intake tube after I've pushed six or so segments of apple through. The crushed up pulp is worked back up the augers to once again be crushed. Also, I expected the waste to be fairly wet with apples, but no, it's as dry as any other fruit or veg I use, I was surprised how efficient the Angel is.

Today, I'm going to juice apples first, then the carrots to see if that makes any difference. Yes, I've already drank the two litres of juice I made yesterday. I hit on an absolutely delish combo juice, and I couldn't stop haha.

I juiced 1kg of organic carrots, 3 green apples, 1 lge purple beet and 1 lemon. Actually WY, it was a little too sweet (even for me haha), so today I'll only use 2 green apples, and also substitute the lemon for a smaller lime. The whole lemon was a little too tart, and I like limes better. The addition of the beet made the difference though, as the combo of flavours is very morish.

Happy juicing,
geo

Date: December 08, 2011 12:30PM

Ok, today I made up another batch of juice, and this time I juice the apples and lime first. They went through super fast, and then the beet and carrots went well too. So, at least for me, juicing the soft stuff first is best.

Cheers, geo

Posted by: Xamot ()
Date: December 08, 2011 02:04PM

Geo,

Could this also be assmed with all juicers or is this combo specific to how yours works. Since I have gotten the 8006, could this also be a good pratice for it. For my own sake I would guess it would be, but figured you or WY might have a different take on it.

WY,

Do you not juice anything that is sweet? I would like to get a feel for what you juice, please and thank you, for hearing other peoples recipies and routines really does help. Geo or anyone else feel free to chime in.

X

Date: December 08, 2011 11:45PM

Hi John, if you notice, I said 'at least for me, juicing the soft stuff first is best'. I'm usually careful not to generalise, as it maybe different for another juicer. I've never used the 8004, or any Omega since previously I wasn't really into juicing. But hey John, it does seem logical that juicing the soft stuff first would work best for any juicer.

Happy juicing,
geo

Posted by: skuli ()
Date: December 14, 2011 08:06AM

i have found with my omega 8004 i juice the greens, then the apples or citrus in the middle usually cut the stringy stuff like celery into short pieces and finsh with the harder stuff like carrots as i find that kind of pushes anything left in there through the rest of the way. its still a work in progress and am still experimenting but so far this seems to works for me. i too have a sweet tooth and need to balance the bitter out. i hope that changes in time though.

Date: December 15, 2011 07:27AM

Skuli - Now that also sounds logical, to juice the harder vegies last to push through the pulp of the softer produce. Good one!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 15, 2011 08:39PM

I think work with what is best. If you have only one juicer, then mixing produce makes sense. If you have two, say a centrifugal for the hard and masticating for the soft, let each juicer do what it was born to do. I own an Omega Big Mouth (BM330) I use for hard veggies (though I do those in the SA also for combo juices). The Super Angel is for leafy greens and live foods. Mixing produce is a good idea though whatever you are using.

Paul

Date: December 15, 2011 11:08PM

That's a great idea Paul. But I don't have another juicer. Some friends of mine had a pretty good single auger juicer when the bought the SA, and sold their old machine for $70 (almost a giveaway). They now wish they had kept it, as they do the markets and the SA is slow, and they could have speeded up the whole process by juicing the harder vegies with the old machine.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: December 15, 2011 11:38PM

You guys are Silly. Using 2 Juicers to make one batch of Juice is what I call Cruel-and-Unusual punishment......WY

Date: December 16, 2011 06:50AM

Haha, I've no intention of buying another machine WY; however, while I know that you are averse to a bit of extra work, and I guess you're refering to the clean up of an extra machine, I don't mind it if the end result is good.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: December 16, 2011 02:34PM

I use two juicers.
My centrifugal and my hand crank,every day.
I juice carrots and root veggies first,and cucumber and celery last to flush out the juicer.
Vinny

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables