Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Calling all Blendtec Owners
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: December 22, 2011 01:42PM

Not many people read this Forum because there's no one here to carry it. That is, no one with Personality. I've tried to, but I've done even worse than JJ. Remember? All he had on his mind was the Green Star juicer. I'm not sure what I have on mine.....probably my Blendtec Jars (as of the moment).
Anyway, those few of you who do read this Forum (maybe 10), and own a Blendtec Blender (maybe 2), I have a slight problem.
How do you keep the blending ingredients from splashing up to the Lid, and making a big mess? I don't have a problem with my Vita-Prep 3.
Maybe someone who doesn't own a Blendtec might take a guess.
I Love my new Blendtec's Jars. Their BPA-free, polymer construction reek of Quality. But I just can't keep my blending Vortex from jumping to the top......WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calling all Blendtec Owners
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 22, 2011 03:20PM

When I bought my HP3A with a 96 ounce carafe, I was frustrated because the lid wouldn't stay on. It not only splashed into the vent but also forceably pushed the lid off. I was partly to blame from overfilling.

I bought a new vented gripper lid for around $10 and a hard replacement lid for around $5. The new vented gripper lid works well as far as staying on. The vent is still a problem if I overfill it. If I need high capacity, I put the hard replacement lid and set a small weight on top.

Paul

Hard replacement lid

Date: December 22, 2011 03:39PM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...The vent is still a problem if I
> overfill it. If I need high capacity, I put the
> hard replacement lid and set a small weight on
> top.
Thanks...I'm with you now. Do you think the Hard lid is better than the Soft? I thought the Soft replaced the Hard because of leakage problems. I've ordered a couple of Soft ones. I don't like my vented Lids at all......WY

Date: December 22, 2011 04:14PM

As a rule of thumb, when I use my Blendtec (downstairs at the wetbar), I only fill it half way or maybe a little above say 60 percent. the manufacturer's intent is to provide sufficient freeboard, the area in the blender above the the liquid line to allow the vortex to rise. So, 96 ounce is what water it will hold, not what it's blender capacity is without making a mess. that's around 60 ounces.

Do I think the hard lid is better than the soft. No, not for my average blended salad or smoothie. But if I'm making it for 4 and short on time or just trying to be more efficient and I don't plan to add ingredients, then the hard lid is awesome. It's $5 (plus shipping if any). It could take some gentle pressure to keep it on if you want to go 70 to 80 ounces (water mark). I use a 2 1/2 pound soloflex weight to reinforce. It's never failed. Whatever works. Best.

Paul

Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: January 20, 2012 10:06AM

I'm pretty agravated about this splashing effect too, but on the flip side the blendtec design does a good job of getting food down to the blades. I recently bought the designer series model from Blendtec. I'm utterly in love with it, except for the lid. The lid is awful, it's got this gigantic hole with a gripper that fits on top, there are tons of nooks and crannies in this piece for the content of the carafe to splash into and stay. The lid would be perfect if it didn't have the hole or the gripper. I don't know why they call it that btw, it really should be just a plug. I've taped a piece of plastic over the top, but it's still not ideal because of how the molding of the lid is the hole is slightly creased downwards, so food still gets stuck in crannies. Honestly I don't care about the splashing, I'd just rather have a lid that doesn't have the hole/crevices for food to get stuck in.

End Mini Rant lol.

Anyways, even with this annoyance, I love this blender! I'm selling my Vitamix for sure.

Date: January 20, 2012 02:17PM

adamlogan Wrote:
> Anyways, even with this annoyance, I love this blender! I'm selling my Vitamix for sure.

I'm just the opposite. I'm getting rid of my Blendtec Chef, and keeping my Vita-Prep 3. I just couldn't deal with the uncontrolled Splashing, and the Leaky Lids......WY

Date: January 20, 2012 02:59PM

adamlogan Wrote:
> ...... I recently bought the designer series model from Blendtec. I'm utterly in love with it

I can see why......WY

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: skiezo ()
Date: January 25, 2012 03:32AM

I demoed the blendtec and really liked it but I am leaning towards either the
Vita-Mix 5200 or the Vita-Prep 3.
My old commercial warning will do for a bit yet but I really like the prep 3.
I can get it for about $430 through a friend at a restaurant supply house.
I am sure I could not go wrong with either one.

Date: January 25, 2012 07:31AM

skiezo Wrote:
> ....but I really like the prep 3. I can get it for about $430 through a friend at a restaurant supply house.

Great price!! I paid $50 more for mine.
I think you'll like the Vita-Prep 3 better than the 5200 for sheer Power. However, the 5200 comes with a BPA-free container. The VP3 doesn't......WY

Posted by: veganreikiangel ()
Date: February 19, 2012 06:56AM

I have the same issues with my blendtec...hate that lid. I want to get the hard lid. It is true tho..you need to not fill it so high.....thats the only logistican answer I think...

Date: February 19, 2012 04:04PM

veganreikiangel Wrote:
> ...... I want to get the hard lid.

Good Luck!! I tried everywhere (even eBay) to find one, and couldn't. Blendtec doesn't manufacture the Hard Lid anymore...just a soft one with a solid top, and a soft one with a square plug on top......WY

Posted by: veganreikiangel ()
Date: February 19, 2012 10:05PM

even a soft one with a solid top would be great!

Posted by: robinjoz ()
Date: March 13, 2012 05:12PM

So....did you sell your Vitamix? I'm new here & am actually reading the forum posts.....Would you Tell me your pro's & con's list between the two blenders?

I have to wait for my tax return (P L E A S E let me get a return & not owe!) to upgrade my blender. At this point in life, I have a samll U-shaped kitchen with little counter space. It's like a wide galley, with the stove/oven unit at "bottom" of the "U". I have a little space on the right of the stove and a tiny bit on the left. To the right of the stove (3.5 feet long) is my appliance area, it's also my sprouting, fermenting, dehydrating and utinsil area. There is a well-used cabinet above it. My current blender is in that area.

I've had people sing the praises of both blenders, I'd love to hear the facts.

Thanks!!
Robin

Date: March 13, 2012 06:35PM

robinjoz Wrote:
> So....did you sell your Vitamix?

No one offered to pay for the shipping, so I donated it to the local Thrift Store.

> ......To the right of the stove (3.5 feet long) is my appliance area, it's also my sprouting, fermenting, dehydrating and utinsil area. There is a
well-used cabinet above it. My current blender is in that area.

If you're spending a lot of time in that area, you need a WellnessMat. They come in an assortment of colors and sizes......WY

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 13, 2012 08:05PM

It's funny, Kohler just did a comparison of Vitamix and the Omega 3 hP and the less powerful blender won. Turned out that sharper blades and higher rpms outperformed raw horsepower. That lesson for all future vitamix buyers has to go into the equation. [www.youtube.com] I'd just excepted the assumption that power was the most important performance parameter. Turns out it isn't. I learned an important lesson!

Paul

Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: March 24, 2012 12:50AM

I sold my 5200.

I've never seen or used the Vitaprep in person so I can't compare.

My one disapointment is that I did not have success making hummus with the Twister Jar. I've blended avocado pits in it though. Have not tried blending peanuts. The Twister Jar is not good for wet blends, stuff can fly out at the top along the sides/wall of the carafe. I love the design of this blender, wish it had a bit more power though. For most uses it still works great but it has it's limitations.

Veganreikiangel, what I do is flip the gripper when I'm blending. Whatever gets stuck on the face of the gripper I lick off. At least it's not going to waste and I don't have to worry about the nooks/crannies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables