Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hippocrates Juicer
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 10, 2006 07:20PM

Hi all,

I am looking for a juicer at the moment and after doing some research, I have narrowed my options down to a choice between two machines, the Oscar Vitalmax and the Green Star Hippocrates. Both are very highly rated. The Hippocrates is regarded as producing the best juice but is not so good with fruit, whilst the Oscar is reckoned to be a great all rounder handling vegetables, greens and fruit very well.

There is a separate gear set available for the Hippocrates which, as far as I am aware, effectively turns it into a single gear auger type juicer, just like the Oscar, which is supposed to improve it`s performance with fruit and soft veg.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I would like to know if it works as I really would prefer the Hippocrates as the quality of juice is regarded as being superior and this machine has the reputation of being the finest juicer available (non commercial at least).

GlenAffric
Scotland

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hippocrates Juicer
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 11, 2006 03:21PM

If I was only going to buy one juicer for everything, I'd buy the large twin gear (Green Star). I think you may be confused (or maybe I am. LOL). As far as I can tell the Green Star and the Hipprocrates are two different juicers, with the Green Star having large twin gears and the Hipprocrates having small twin gears. The Oscar Vitalmax looks like it is manufactured in the UK. It resembles the Samson 6 in 1 (or Oscar, as you said)(a good juicer) sold here in the States.....WY

Date: October 11, 2006 09:10PM

Sorry Yogi, my mistake. It`s the Green Power Hippocates, not the Green Star. I`ve been reading up on various juicers on a UK website, and am happy enough with their recommendation of the Hippocrates and the Oscar, it`s just the issue of fruit and soft veg that I`m concerned with.

GlenAffric

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: October 17, 2006 12:06PM

Hi
I have the green power kempo (same machine, different name)
I am very pleased with it.

Its small, compact, low noise, easy to clean, takes up a small amount of counter space.

I juice wheat grass, leaves, fruit,etc. It has different screes for fruit and veggies. if im combining frit and veggies i keep the veg screen on, its fine.

Unless i use a lot of apple, there is no need to strain the juice, its totally clear.
if you use the pulp outlet adjusting knob, the pulp comes out almost dry!(inc wheatrass)

makes good ice cream too!

I didnt buy the extra gears as i understand that you get less wheat grass juice when you use them.

Hope this helps smiling smiley

Date: October 31, 2006 05:05PM

Hi Lorretta,

Yep that is helpful, thanks for that. I think I would be mostly juicing veg and maybe apple, so I`m sure it would be fine. I would like to juice some cucumber and celery too and the juicer I have at the moment just churns them round and round, producing very little juice. Same with apple. If I try to juice berries, it makes jam (jelly to you lol). Just a cheap manual juicer, though I was assured when I bought it that it was great for everything.

Do you juice soft fruits, cucumber or celery? If so, does the Kempo handle them ok?

Thanks,

GlenAffric

Date: November 04, 2006 11:58PM

Hi GlenAffric

I juice celery daily and soft fruits occasionally.
The only tip I have is if you are juicing leaves, that you juice them first, then follow through with the tougher things.

handles citrus including pith and skin.
You do need to cut the material in order to fit it into the chute.
its fine for cucumber.

this machine also has a reverse gear. you can use it if your veggies get stuck.
I havnt had a problem with this, but its good to know that you have that option!

I get more juice from my kempo than i did from my centrifugal juicer ( using the same quantity of material)

The quality of the juice from the kempo is far superior to that from the centrifugal.
As i only juice organic produce, this adds to the pleasure and health benefits of the juice and makes good economic sense!

If you are happy to spend the money, I would seriously consider a twin gear juicer.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.
I live in UK. There are a few uk based mail order sites offering good deals on this machine just now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2006 11:59PM by Lorretta.

Date: December 22, 2006 10:04PM

Hi Lorretta

Eventually got my juicer, the Green Power Hippo, a few weeks ago. I opted for the Hippo as the warranty is much longer. Been using it fairly regularly since. It`s a joy to use, easy to clean too. Thanks for the advice, you helped me make up my mind.

I just need some practice with it now. Need to work out how I produce juice with less pulp. It`s supposed to be one of the advantages of the Kempo/Hippo but so far my juice is puplier (is that a word?!) than I thought it would be, though I`m sure it`s just how I`m using it. Still happy with my purchase though.

Thanks again,

GlenAffric

Date: December 24, 2006 12:41AM

GlenAffric
Pleased to hear you are happy with your purchase.

As regards the pulp,if you tighten the screw (where the juice comes out) this will produce a finer juice, however, a friend of mine who has owned a similar machine for over 10 years told me that this puts extra strain on the motor so she leaves the screw off and strains the juice before drinking.
If you are drinking the juice on an empty stomach straining it before drinking apparently leads to a faster absorption.

Have fun!

Posted by: robert9876 ()
Date: January 07, 2007 07:08AM

I have owned this machine for about 3 years and use it daily. I have the screw very tight as I do not want any pulp in my juice. The motor has never indicated any strain or over heating etc. It is my best juicer so far.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: January 08, 2007 01:11PM

please remember the hippo is mini sized twingear machine. my perswonal opinion is why not get a full sized one for a small amount of money more.

jj

Date: January 09, 2007 06:51PM

I love my hippo.

I find that it takes up less counter space, easier to transport clean and store than the larger version.
I suppose its about what best suits your lifestyle smiling smiley

Date: January 10, 2007 02:40PM

yes it doesw take up less counterspace...but modt people will not be traveling with the juicer. as far a cleaning goes...there is very little difference...as anyone who juices knows, cleanup is the part most people sorta hate to do..so naturally it would follow that cleanup is pain no matter what machine you use.

the mental attitude of hating the cleanup only makes it more of a chore. i find that if i am not overly meticulous about getting every last speck of pulp the job is much easier to do.. a few specks of pulp are not going to adversely affect most people.

i like juicing large quantities of greens such as kale aqnd collard greens. with my greenstar, i really "jump on it", using my wooden plunger. i can tell you this...the mini sized twin gear machine would never stand up to the juicing i do with large amounts of kale. actually the mini sized units look like a toy compared to the real thing.

my best advice is to buy the full sized greenstar. you will have the juicer which will last a very long time.

jj

Date: January 10, 2007 02:50PM

JJ
I have used both machines. I hear what you say.
I still prefer my kempo.

I also juice large quantities of greens.
The kempo handles them fine.

I dont have a problem with cleaning the machine as i like to look after my equipment.
As regards how long it will last me only time will tell!

Date: January 10, 2007 05:49PM

i know the kempo machine...i have used it and it doesn't stand up to the "torture" of pounding greens like kale ,collards and dandelions like the green star. like i said before kempo looks like a toy compared to the real thing. i juice a gallon of kale apple ginger in about half an hour. Kempo has too small of a motor and no cooling fan like the green star. also the squeezing chamber is 1/3 the size of a greenstar. green star is truly stellar for juicing heavy duty!

Date: January 10, 2007 11:36PM

juicin' john Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i know the kempo machine...i have used it and it
> doesn't stand up to the "torture" of pounding
> greens like kale ,collards and dandelions like the
> green star. like i said before kempo looks like a
> toy compared to the real thing. i juice a gallon
> of kale apple ginger in about half an hour. Kempo
> has too small of a motor and no cooling fan like
> the green star. also the squeezing chamber is 1/3
> the size of a greenstar. green star is truly
> stellar for juicing heavy duty!

Hmmm.......[www.kempojuicer.com] smiling smiley
Just a bit of fun!!!!

Date: January 11, 2007 02:04PM

loretta... the page you linked to in your post has so many grey areas and distortions of the facts, that i wont waste time with it.

anyone who sees the performance comparison when both juicers are placed side by side in juicing mode will see the truth of the matter here.

kempo is an inferior version of the twin gear design. your application of "lipstick on a pig" is just that. its still pig evan though some people may be fooled by the ridiculous comparison chart which you have linked to here.

you obviously have a firm belief in your own jaded opinions... and that is a very dangerous tendency.

have fun....hmmmm

Date: January 11, 2007 06:28PM

Oh so serious John...........
of course the link has many grey areas!
Of course its a ridiculous comparison chart!
I just happened to be looking for a kempo picture to post and came across the link and posted it.
As stated earlier the link was meant to be light hearted fun.

As regards your other comments I find them totally unnecessary.
Anyway...
Enough of this nonsense....

Happy jucicin
Blessings
Lorretta

Date: January 11, 2007 06:34PM

oops... i didnt realize you were joking.

keep on juicing those greens!!

jj

Date: March 10, 2007 01:09AM

"you obviously have a firm belief in your own jaded opinions... and that is a very dangerous tendency."

Juicin John, what is your problem! Have you ever listened to yourself? You butted in on a conversation about a Kempo Juicer, jumpin up and down shouting about your wonderful Green Star. Did it ever occur to you that those of us who bought the Kempo did some research first? All the reasearch I did told me that the Green Star wasn`t very good and that the Kempo was far better. I`m fine with that, I bought the Kempo and I think it`s a great juicer. You honestly think I`m just gonna get rid of it coz of your inane rantings? How dare you suggest that Lorretta`s opinions, and mine, are somehow less worthy than yours. I think you`re the one who is too stuck in his ways and narrow minded. As far as I`m concerned, the Kempo is a great juicer and to me it IS the real thing.

"anyone who sees the performance comparison when both juicers are placed side by side in juicing mode will see the truth of the matter here."

I think that is actually what was done John, the juicers were compared side by side and obviously by someone who was far more open minded (and, I dare say, intelligent) than you.

"kempo is an inferior version of the twin gear design. your application of "lipstick on a pig" is just that. its still pig evan though some people may be fooled by the ridiculous comparison chart which you have linked to here."

This statement is utterly ridiculous! Get a life!

Date: March 14, 2007 08:47PM

jan 11... march 09....what took you so long?

btw is is you who has the problem ..you own "it"... i own the full sized bonified twin gear machine..and again btw... i'm not the only one who has noticed the immense difference.

enjoy your toy.

jj

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables