Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Juicer help please!
Date: February 22, 2012 04:41PM

Hi,

I posted this on the Super Angel 5500 thread, but haven't got any response so I thought I would start my question as a new topic.

Can anyone tell me, does the homogenizing blank of the Super Angel allow the juicer to be used without the screens? I want a juicer that is a solid stainless steel construction, but don't want to use it with the screens. I want to use it as the first step(griding/masticating) to the 2 step grind/juice press process like that of the Norwalk or the Champion/hydraulic press combo. I read the Hallelujah Acres juicer comparison study and it seemed it was the screen on the juicers that caused all the foam/oxidation. They found that none of the juicers produced enough heat to kill enzymes, but it was the oxidation from the juice being pressed through the screens that was the biggest problem. I like the Super Angel because of how well built it is and it's multi functions. I was also thinking about a meat grinder. I would love any knowledge anyone could pass along on this subject.

Thank you so much and blessings,
Jennifer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juicer help please!
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: February 23, 2012 01:23AM

Jennifer,

I own both a Super Angel 5500 and the homogenizing blank. Yes, you can run it without screens. YOu would do that for making nut butters, sorbet, etc. I suppose you could use it for titrating. But I would just juice with the normal screen as the pulp is pretty dry. Hope that helps.

Paul

Date: February 23, 2012 04:59PM

Thank you, Paul! That helps a lot.

I really wanted the Angel because of how solidly built it is, but I didn't want to use it with the screens so that I could avoid the foam/oxidation. I'm trying to prevent spoiling of the juice. I'll get the blank attachment, a separate 4000lb hydraulic press and some pickle-it vacuum seal canning jars and hopefully this will allow me to only juice once a week and keep the juice fresh in the refrigerator.

Blessings,

Jennifer

Date: February 23, 2012 06:27PM

Jennifer,

welcome. I will help you a little more if you don't mind because getting the blank screen isn't as easy as it sounds. [usjuicers.com]. There, that should do ya. use control + F and type # S55-11-2 about 1/4 way down the page. That's the blank. Looks just like the original but no holes. I still don't think ya need it but if ya want it, there she be. winking smiley

Paul

Date: February 24, 2012 12:31AM

Thank you so much, Paul! I'll check out that link. I know it's crazy, but I'm hoping to reduce those bubbles as much as possible. I Want to get the best possible shelf life I can without having to juice everyday. I want to make up large batches at a time.

I was just looking over the Hallelujah Acres juicer comparison study again and I just read where the twin gear Green life produced pulp that was chunky and had a relatively large particle size and these large particles didn't release their juice when subjected to high pressure from the press. Hmm...That's not good! I'm now wondering if the Angel, since it's also a twin gear, will even masticate/grind the produce up enough to where the particle size is small enough to get juice out of it when used with the juice press. Do you find that the Angel creates a fine mush/pulp with no large particles left over when not using the screens? I was either going to get the Angel or the Champion and use the blank attachment, but I like how the Angel is all stainless steel and how I can also juice wheat grass with it. I'm not to sure how good the Champion is. Again, I would just be using it as a grinder and wheat grass juicer. Thanks again, Paul!

Blessings,
Jennifer

Date: February 24, 2012 06:08PM

Jennifer,

My best to you. And I think you will succeed. One request. Please watch the following video from John Kohler on the Norwalk before spending the money on the Super Angel and blank plate, both of which will produce great juice and other foods and are made of 100 percent stainless steel.

Here is my requested url [www.youtube.com] It's John K, the admin for this forum, using a champion as the titrator and the Wells press for part 2. welles press will run you around $400, champion I don't know. but I wanted to help you look at all your options before you buy. I couldn't feel good unless I did that.

That said, the link for the blank is on my prior post. best Jennifer
paul

Date: February 26, 2012 11:20PM

Thank you so much for all the helpful advice, Paul! I really do appreciate it.

I actually saw that exact youtube video with John. I also saw a video with a gentleman who used one of those old 1950's Norwalks where they were made in two separate pieces. The grinder and then the separate press. He said that if you are lucky enough to find the old grinder piece than you should get that and then use a separate 4000lb hydraulic press which is double the pressure of the Norwalk which is only 2000lbs of pressure. He then said that if you use a vacuum sealer and canning jars than the juice would last up to a week in the fridge. This is what I'm hoping to do! I did find an old 2 piece Norwalk on Ebay the same day I saw that video, but for what they were asking for a price, I figured I could just buy a meat grinder or a good quality juicer where I could also juice wheat grass and such, but at half the cost.

Thanks again, Paul!

Blessings,

Jennifer

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 10, 2012 08:16PM

Hi Jennifer, I also own a super angel which I bought around the same time as Paul bought his. I was going to buy the seperate no holes attachment, but hitherto I'm happy the way it is. Without using a screen, I suppose that you would get a little more juice out of the pulp, but it's pretty dry anyway.

What I'd like to add, is that I make up two litres of juice every two or three days. And even on day three, the juice still tastes great without any tanginess which would indicate fermentation. And that's with me opening the two litre bottle quite a lot to fill my glass with liquid energy. Therefore, perhaps the juice would last much longer if I used only half/litre jars. Do you get what I'm trying to say?

I'm due to juice today or tomorrow, so I'll fill a seperate jar to the top with juice and see how long it lasts until the fermentation is noticable. I'm betting that it would last maybe 5 days or more.

Cheers, geo smiling smiley

Posted by: altmed ()
Date: March 13, 2012 05:56PM

"The Gerson Therapy" book I'm reading recommends the Norwalk and K & K. I'm not a cook and never juiced before so I bought the Gerson juice recipe book.

But after reading some of the posts here, I'm afraid I'll make the wrong decision in purchasing the right kind of juicer for the Gerson Therapy. The copyright of the book is 2001 + 2006 so there must be better machines on the market now.

Can anyone recommend a fairly easy to use juicer for a newbie that fits Gerson standards (triturator/press extractor) ?
Thanks,
Angel

Date: March 19, 2012 03:23AM

I don't know of any other juicer besides the Norwalk that has that configuration in one juicer. But that's $2500. My understanding of the K&K is that it is essentially the Welles Press (hydralic manual press) w/o the titrator. If you click on the link in my post above, John Kohler shows how you can use a champion juicer as tritor or homogenizer and the Wells Press.

My question is do you really need this configuration for Gerson Therapy? I should think a good twin gear like the Green Star Elite or Super Angel would do just fine.

Paul

Posted by: Dimon ()
Date: April 08, 2012 07:28PM

Hi there!I have angel for 3 years and I was happy with that juicer,until one day it broke down on me.Engine stop grinding carrots,it was making skipping noise.,so I opened that well build made out of st steel..and what i found is shop me..

Posted by: Dimon ()
Date: April 08, 2012 07:35PM

yes ..shop and shock..first of all it is all look cheap and plastic inside,not the way it looks,second service was awful it took 2 month to fix it( i didn't tell them that i open it.,it will void warranty)..

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 18, 2012 01:39AM

Look, since reading this post I have taken the top off my machine, and it's nothing like what your saying Dimon . Yes, there is a plastic cover over the massive motor, and also a hard plastic piece that covers and seals off any leakage of oil etc between the motor and the outer stainless steel housing.

Therefore, all the plastic bits do, is to seal off any potential leakage of oil from the armature of the motor, and that's all. Even though I was a little disapointed that they used a plastic seal rather than a metal one, there really is no need for it, since all it does is to stop any oil leakage. And as far as the plastic cover for the motor itself, I don't think they really needed to do that anyway, but I guess it's only a precaution in case of any oil leak.

So really, they have gone above what the manufacturers needed to do, as it's unlikely that any leakage would occur from the motor itself, and they have sealed off any potential leakage from the armature with a hard plastic cover.

However, it seems that they may have added a small amount of oil that is sealed off, as if they didn't, I guess that daily use and after ten years would see very dry bearings I reckon. So again, they have made sure the machine will last at least ten years.

On a more positive note, I was very impressed by the size of the motor, it's massive, and no matter what hard vegies that I shove into it, there's hardly any change in the motor speed or sound. It definately doesn't labour, and I don't know why they even thought it necessary to add a auto-reverse feature, as you'd have to shove frozen carrots into it, for it to seize up. Even then, I think it would eat them up as well.

I'm sorry that you had trouble with your's Dimon, as I would think that it wouuld be a very rare occurrence. But show me any product which hasn't had at least a few faults. You can't condemn a product just because there's been a few problems. There no doubt been hundreds of thousands of the super Angel sold since the company began, and if there had been a large percentage of them that have broken down, the company would have gone belly up long ago.

Cheers, jalan

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: May 18, 2012 11:39PM

just for the record................

Angel has gone belly up in the past and have left people hanging for parts and service. perhaps more than once they have been in and out of the juicer market always leaving people hanging. i have used their machine and honestly didn't like it all. the screen is a horrible looking contraption which was indeed tough for me to clean. I switched to Greenstar and have never looked back. also have heard about the Angel company burning people for their hard earned money and not doing what they say. i think Paul mentioned something to that effect in one his postings regarding John Kohler having a negative experience with their lack of business scruples.

have been following your touting about how great the Super Angel is for quite some time now and i finally decided that it was necessary to deliver an honest statement to the readers of this forum.

with the Angel gears having the capability to be adjusted as closely as the user wishes...there is no doubt that there is a possibility of the scraping together of the gears when they touch could cause stailess steel powder to leach into the juice.

with the gears scraping together like that ...no doubt that heat from such friction would result (laws of physics)....and therefore explain how a person would feel heat when touching the gears of their Angel (not good).....and also a transfer of heat from the motor is entirely possible with an all stainless covering and parts(regular Angel was aluminum on the outside).

i would advise Angel owners to check and see if they are perhaps getting small amounts of stainless steel powder in their juices since the gears are touching one another with each rpm.

thats one of the reasons Greenstar has it over the Angel....Greenstar has a .004 of an inch clearance between the gears so that there is no chance of metal on metal scraping to occur. the twin gears on Greenstar never heat up...the juice is protected by the fact that the gears never touch!

point aside Jalan...wondered why did you change your name from Geo?

Dimons Post was April 08,2012....i think your answer is a bit late is it not?

you seem like a praetty nice person and i really don't mean to offend you but only to set a few things straight here on this forum.

people who purchase the Angel are taking a big chance in more ways than one.

juicin' john

Date: May 19, 2012 02:48AM

Juicin John, I only noticed that post recently, as I do have a life outside this forum. I did explain the reason for my name change, but I don't see how it's anyone's business but mine.

Regarding the Angel, my gears don't get hot; therefore, don't touch as you say, and I cannot see where they can be adjusted either.

Having said that, there have been many different models of Angel over the years, and hence I cannot dispute what you have said, since a previous model may have had the trouble you say.

I am very happy with my model though, as is Paul I beleive, and so are some friends of mine who bought one, and then bought another for their other beach house. So it seems that the makers of Angel are now manufacturing a very efficient juicer, even if it is a little pricey.

Cheers, jalan

Date: May 19, 2012 04:10PM

Oh, I explained re name change on the 'vegan discussion' forum, sorry smiling smiley Also, I do remember reasing Dimon's post, but I was deliberation whether or not to take off my Angel housing to see inside for myself. That's the reason for the delay in replying.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: May 21, 2012 11:07PM

Jalanutan....

sorry but the gears have to touch in order for one gear to turn the other free whelling gear.

please take a look at this link for more information on Super Angel and the company who makes it.

[www.youtube.com]

juicin' john

Date: May 22, 2012 12:06AM

Thx Juicin' John, yes my gears do touch. The drive gear works the other gear like you say, but they still don't get hot though.

Cheers, jalan

Posted by: joanna ()
Date: July 14, 2012 05:19AM

A week ago I bought Green Star Elite juicer believing that it will help me with a raw food diet., unfortunately its quiet opposite....I'm so disappointed...! This juicer makes more foam than juice!!!! Really...!!!! What's wrong?!! It's that bad so I stopped juicing ...;((
Ps. Great blog...I just started reading some posts...I will learn a lot...thank you.

Date: July 17, 2012 06:16AM

Hi Joanna,

Even the greenstarelite shouldn't throw up that much foam. Usually, the finer the screen, the more foam is produced, it's inevitable.

I'd talk to the retailer you bought it from first. But what are you juicing? Carrots produce only a little foam with my 'super angel', but apples foam up more. Also, I find that leafy greens foam up too.

I don't worry about it, as eventually the foam liquefies again to some extent anyway, and I just dump the rest.

Please don't give in, find out if it's a manufacturing fault.

All the best with it joanna,

jalan

Posted by: docdvm ()
Date: October 06, 2013 03:05AM

I recently got the Super Angel 5500...I'm very impressed with it. I put my Hurom Slow Juicer and Dash Slow Juicer down the basement as the Super Angel just puts them to shame. I make juice that is primarily dark green leafy with just a couple of apples in each batch. I make at least a half gallon of juice in each session, as I make it to share with a friend. As soon as the juice is done, I put it into silicone king size ice cube trays (each makes 6 king size cubes...2 cubes makes a 4 oz serving), freeze it overnight, then vacuum seal 2 cube portions with my Food Saver. She defrosts each portion as she needs them so the juice stays very fresh and doesn't oxidize. This way I can juice once or twice a week.

Doc

Posted by: gypsyluv ()
Date: May 28, 2016 10:52PM

Hi, I have a SoloStar 4 and it's a great little juicer. The only problem is that the plastic pieces have broken from time to time and I have to call them and wait for a replacement part to come. At least I have my Omega VRT as a spare...... I really want an Angel Juicer but I have to know if I can make frozen fruit sorbets (aka ice cream) with the Angel Juicer. The Solostar broke on me once when I was making the ice cream and twice while making other things. Just this morning the screen cracked when I put a small piece of ginger through. So I need a really good high quality juicer with very dependable customer service. I understand the Angel Juicer is not cheap!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables