Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gerson Therapy Newbie
Posted by: altmed ()
Date: March 13, 2012 08:36PM

The Gerson Institute recommends the Norwalk, Angel, Omega, Green Star and Green Power Juicers.

I'd like to try this therapy just for health as my husband has arthritis but I am not a good cook, nor have I ever juiced... although I do use a Vitamix for soups... which he won't eat. smiling smiley

My question is, which one of these might be simple enough for a newbie yet get the job done according to the Gerson standards (grinder/press) ?

Would love to hear from anyone on the Gerson program or any modification of it. I read the Angel review on this forum which I found very helpful and so am considering it.

Also would love to hear from anyone who uses any of the others mentioned.

Thanks,
Angel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gerson Therapy Newbie
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2012 08:44PM

I had a greenstar and didn't love it, I traded it in for an omega which I quite like, it functions very well and clean up is a snap. There are great comparison charts and videos on John Kohler's website [discountjuicers.com].

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 14, 2012 06:57PM

I like the Super Angel. It's very good for leafy greens.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2012 07:04PM by pborst.

Date: March 14, 2012 07:00PM

The Greenstar Elite is $500 to $600, less than the Super Angel but with plastic on the augers. The Norwalk costs $2500, twice the Super Angel. Go Super Angel.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2012 07:05PM by pborst.

Date: March 14, 2012 07:04PM

Thanks Paul. I think I understand what you said although I don't speak German.

Date: March 14, 2012 07:07PM

Ich auch nicht! winking smiley

Date: March 14, 2012 07:15PM

Thanks.
Can you tell me a little more about what you didn't like about the Greenstar and what you like about the Omega?

Date: March 14, 2012 07:22PM

smiling smiley Something tells me that you didn't write your comment in German yet it showed up that way on my computer. smiling smiley Now it appears in English. Go figure!

So far I'm still leaning toward the Angel but would like to know my options a little better.

Date: March 14, 2012 07:30PM

I just received an email through my website [altmedangel.com] from a woman whose dog has a spindle cell sarcoma that is still somewhat wrapped around the spinal cord after an initial surgery.

She's interested in doing the Gerson Therapy for him. Does anyone use juicing for their pets? If so, can you offer any advice as to specifically what you juice for a dog?

Date: March 15, 2012 05:10PM

Nothing on Gerson and dogs. General site recommending 1/2 cup per day of veggie juice per 25/30 lbs of the dog's body weight.

"**Fresh Juice (for dogs only):

Use a juicer if you have one. Most dogs love carrot juice, and it contains zinc, vitamin E, beta carotene, copper, and other ingredients that strengthen the immune system. It's best to use organic carrots, and you can add celery, parsley, or apple. Feed directly or mix with your dog's food. Try to feed 1/2 cup juice per 25-30 pounds of weight each day.

"

[www.allourpets.com]

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 17, 2012 03:05PM

I use an Omega now and it is great.
Makes alot of juice,and cleaning is fast and easy.

Date: March 17, 2012 07:50PM

Thank you. That is very helpful.

Date: March 17, 2012 08:13PM

Does anyone use the new Green Power Hippocrates Juicer? At $700 it appears to do everything that the others do plus infuse the juice with positive ions so it comes out in a coloidal form.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: March 17, 2012 08:59PM

altmed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone use the new Green Power Hippocrates Juicer?

I owned one years ago. I soon gave it up, as it's too small for serious juicing......WY

Posted by: juicemom ()
Date: March 17, 2012 11:17PM

I am also new to juicing and bought the Omega 8006. I like it very much. It is easy to use and the pulp is pretty dry. Clean up is fast. I have never tried the higher end juicers so cant compare my juicer to them, but I dont think anyone can go wrong with the Omega 8006. It is also not too big so doesn't take up too much space on my counter and I like the stainless color. Your price range is higher than mine was. I was not considering juicers such as the Angel. One of the reasons that I bought the Omega was that it was not too expensive.

Date: March 17, 2012 11:50PM

Decisions, decisions! I've pretty much rulled out the Champion, Green Star and Norwalk. So I'm down to the Omega, Green Power and Angel. The one thing I don't like about the Angel is it's size and weight.

Are there any negatives about the Omega that you can share?

Date: March 18, 2012 12:08AM

How does clean-up compare for the above 3 machines? Any problem with the size of the opening?

Date: March 18, 2012 12:52AM

Green power, green star and angel are the same sort of machine.
I've had a few juicers, no complaints so far about the Omega.

Date: March 18, 2012 03:25PM

The opening on the Omega 8006 is not too big so I sometimes have to cut things up. It only takes a few seconds and I dont find it an issue. The juicer is so easy to use and clean that a few seconds to cut up produce is immaterial to me. Another thing with the 8006 is that the juice is not completely pulp free. I strain the juice which also only takes a few seconds. It is not a big deal to me.The juicer comes with a strainer which you can put over the juice collection container. I dont use it - I just use a small strainer over the glass that I pour the juice into.

I have never used a twin gear juicer (Greenstar, Greenpower and Angel) so I am not in a position to compare the Omega to one. I have read that the twin gear juicers such as the Greenstar have a slightly better yield and a top quality of juice.

I think that the quality of juice from the Omega is pretty good since it operates at a low rpm. So far I have juiced carrots, celery, parsley, spinach,peppers, oranges, grapefruits and tomatoes. It did a great job on everything but tomatoes. The juice that I get tastes good, is a rich color and has no foam.

Date: March 18, 2012 04:04PM

The green power juicer I had made pulpy juice, the gears would get clogged up with pulp with only a small amount of produce so the machine had to be taken apart and cleaned at least once during juicing. Straining all that juice was a pain and took a long time too, I want to drink juice as soon as it's made before it starts to separate or oxidize. The chute on the green star/power is not any bigger than the omega either.

Date: March 19, 2012 03:27AM

The opening on a Super Angel isn't particularly large. Where it shines is its efficiency. The pulp is bone dry, all of the contact surface are steel, no plastic touches the produce. No tension knob for the pulp. Clean up is easier than other twin gears. And the rpms are slower 82 rpm for low oxidation. Excellent for leafy greens and a living food diet.

Downsides: cost.

Date: March 21, 2012 02:17PM

Great Information. Thanks.

Does anyone know approx how much the Omega weighs?

Date: March 21, 2012 02:59PM

I just went back and reread of few forums and have now narrowed down my choice to either the Angel or the Omega.

The Gerson Therapy is mostly greens with carrots and apples thrown in. I really don't want to spend a lot of time on clean-up and when I entertain, would like to be able to easily put it away. As for juice, it's just me and my husband.

Another question: Do you clean your juicer before you drink the juice or after? What is the max time it cann sit without cleaning?

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: March 21, 2012 06:39PM

altmed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ......Do you clean your juicer before you drink the juice or after?

I always clean my Juicer while drinking the juice. Take a swig of juice, swish it around, do a little cleaning, swallow the juice...repeat until the juice is gone and the juicer is clean......WY

Date: March 22, 2012 04:24PM

I clean my Omega after I drink the juice. I usually clean it within 20 minutes of making the juice. I have forgotten about it and cleaned it much later with no problem.

It is not that heavy.

Date: March 22, 2012 05:05PM

I find the sooner you clean it the easier it is so I do it while drinking the juice. I've cleaned it the next day though, if anything is stuck a short soak gets it loose.

Date: March 22, 2012 08:28PM

I usually clean it immediately afterward and drink while I'm cleaning. But not always. Sometimes I batch process and do a few liters at a time. Still clean up afterward though... just habit. Don't want the produce to dry on the the screen. That's a no no. I'd say 90 minutes delay tops.

Paul

Date: March 22, 2012 08:49PM

Altmed,

On your final decision on a juicer, if it is between an Omega and a Super Angel given the price difference, I can understand you quandry.. The price is 3 to 4 times as much. Is the juice or juicer 3 to 4 times as much? Maybe not? But here's the thing. Kohler says Ultem has BPA in the auger. I take him at his word. I don't think it's an issue. Omega's operate slow, no heat ergo no exposure. I think it is a nothing burger so to speak (just an expression).

The warranty and price on a Omega 8004 or 8006 beat the Super Angel. So I have a hard time telling you that would be wrong to go Omega. Still, Geo and I love our Super Angel's for a reason. All steel contact surfaces... bone dry pulp. It's a little tank.

Toyota or Honda is probably a better value than BMW or Audi. But there are those who wouldn't part with their German engineering. That's the best analogy I can make. I don't think you can go wrong with your choice. If you have the money and the desire, I'd go Angel. But that's the BMW driver in me. Most would say get the Toyota er a Omega. I own one of those too.. though it isn't the one you are looking at! winking smiley best

Paul

btw, Greenstar Elite by Tribest is in the middle of the two and worth a look. Juicin John and Jodi have them and can speak to them. I personally don't talk to my juicer. I just run it! winking smiley

Date: March 23, 2012 01:53AM

I recently bought my juicer and deliberated for quite a while before buying it. I had not juiced before, and there was no way to try juicers out so I had to make a decision on the basis of online reviews. One of the reasons I went with the Omega was price. Since I am new to juicing I did not know how much I would be doing it, so I didn't want to invest too much in case I did not really take to juicing. I was impressed by the reviews and now that I have used the juicer I like it. I figured that if I really got into juicing I could always upgrade at a later date.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 23, 2012 03:43PM

Just a side note:
The film "The beautiful Truth" features the Gerson therapy.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables