Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Success with green smoothies
Posted by: whitecastle ()
Date: March 19, 2012 12:04AM

Have green smoothies help you in your raw food journey. Please tell me how. What percentage of fruit to green did you do? Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Success with green smoothies
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: March 19, 2012 01:35AM

whitecastle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
..... What percentage of fruit to green did you do?

It's amazing how many people find this Forum for their First Post.
As far as Fruit:Green % ratio, it's difficult to do because of the taste, but 0:100 is the Ultimate......WY

Posted by: whitecastle ()
Date: March 20, 2012 02:37AM

No newbie. Oldie. Just "Need" to succeed at raw. Went back to cooked. Sick and depressed. Back to raw. Finished Green Forever by Boutenko. I need to know how much greens a day to start with in smoothies, how many smoothies a day. What one should work oneself to. Will it help will it help.......?????

Sorry long bout with cooked.........smiling smiley

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:12PM

I worship green smoothies! I have lost 225 pounds using mainly green smoothies and some juiche. The key is to start by liking the smoothie. make a smoothie taste good, then add greens. start slow. then you can make them more and more green. A low fat smoothie will help you detox and lose weight(if you need to) whether you have lots of greens in it or not. Start now! the smoothie will teach your body about its true needs. After a few days of ONLY green smoothie my body craved greens! try to eat little or no fat for detoxing. I just use a tsp of hemp seeds or half an avocado in my smoothie once in a while. usually fat free. good luck! just use a handful of greens at first and work your way up to half the blender being greens. half fruit and water! raw protein powder is highly recommended too.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: March 20, 2012 05:26PM

If I begin my day with a green juice drink, I am always more successful with my plan to eat raw that day. My green juice is about 20 ounces or so .. ALL greens except for one small lemon and one apple. I plan to reduce the apple to half an apple and then try to cut it out completely, but I'm not ready for that yet. This beverage really fills me up and I'm usually not hungry for about another 3 hours. If I start my day with a bowl of fresh fruit instead, I get hungry rather quickly again and may start grabbing for something that isn't entirely raw.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 22, 2012 08:31PM

Just one or two pieces of fruit (low sugar fruits such as kiwi, berries, apple or citrus) so 10: 90 or 20:80. Just my view.

Posted by: slide4life ()
Date: May 17, 2012 02:17PM

it's all to the taste. mine ends up being about 1/2 gallon. I drink it maybe every other day and it's pretty much the only meal I eat that day.

1 package of broccoli sprouts (about 130 grams), handful of each: kale, spinache, chard or mustard greens, a melon, 4 banannas, an orange,tablespoon spirulina, tablespoon chlorella, tablespoon cacao, 2 tbspns chia seed, 2 tbspn hemp seed or 1 tbspn oil. Throw in some walnuts when I can get them raw too. And all the while its blending, tons and tons of ice.

It may seem much, but the brocco sprouts are so, so sharp that they require the banannas and spirulina/chlorella/hemp just to balance the taste.

Been doing them for about 3 months and never go skateboarding on a day that I don't.

Posted by: slide4life ()
Date: May 17, 2012 02:19PM

Way to go with the weight loss, Lion! Whatcha doing for exercise?

Posted by: spectrum ()
Date: May 17, 2012 03:23PM

I drink green smoothies everyday. About 1-2 litres. I have been doing this for about five months and have completely cut the fruit out of them.

At first I was put in pineapple, banana or apple.

Experiment with different greens and herb until you find out what you like best. One of my favourite things is to put mint in it.

Lately I have been drinking blended pea shoots. I can't get enougth, but writing this makes me want get a bit more variety.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 19, 2012 04:04PM

Hmmm, adding mint might make for a nice change of flavour hey! I'm afraid that I'm having a difficult time with taste, as a green smoothie doesn't taste that great. I'll take rawlion's advice and slowly add greens to get used to it. Thx buddy smiling smiley

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 22, 2012 03:01PM

the key to the smoothie is to drink it as much as possible. If you drink a nasty smoothie and that discourages you from smoothie for days, this is not good. RULE # 1 is make the smoothie taste good. Then as your taste changes, add more greens. Fruit is alkalyzing as well as greens. SO you are winning the battle as long as you are drinking smoothie with at least a little bit of greens. If the green taste is overwhelming, add raw lemon juice as this helps cover the infamous green flavor.
everytime you are hungry, you should eat perfect food. With this in mind, green smoothies are perfect food! Therefore instead of other stuff, ideally just drink green smoothie!!!
also, another secret I have learned for ideal raw vegan health is that most of us are iron deficient, or low on iron. SO, Mint and parsley are super high in iron compared to other greens. So use these in your smoothies, and make sure to have lots of vitamin c in the smoothie as this helps the absorbtion of the vegan iron.

A perfect food smoothie to me is something like this.....
1 orange
7 strawberries
1 banana
4 large kale leaves
half of a bunch of parsley
juice of 1 lemon
scoop of hemp protein powder(or hemp seeds)
water
frozen berries or other frozen fruit.
and a handful of sprouts or wheatgrass for, among other things, b vitamins!

Posted by: chat ()
Date: May 25, 2012 08:21AM

I just love green smoothies, and loved them from day one, no adjustment was ever needed!

The only grief I have is celery - I haven't been raw for long so haven't tried many recipes, but ones I did celery was very stinky in the smoothie. So for now I just put it in salads.

My staple smoothie at the moment is

1 banana
1 apple with skin
1 kiwi with skin
100g spinach leaves, or 100g romaine lettuce
splash of water to help it blend

Ends up being about 500-600ml. Really tasty. I do it every morning, occasinally alternating with other varieties and experimenting. This serves as a good breakfast (sometimes I also have a glass of orange or other fruit juice about 30min-1h before smoothie), and I don't usually get hungry until at least 12-1pm when I have my lunch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2012 08:25AM by chat.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 05, 2012 10:57PM

Green smoothies are amazing, they are possibly the best thing i have done for increasing energy.

Juicing Recipes

Date: June 06, 2012 03:54AM

powerlifer Wrote:
> Green smoothies are amazing

Yes, but only if they're properly prepared. Most Green Smoothies are really 'Fruit Smoothies' in disguise. My thinking now is make your smoothies either 'all Green' or 'all Fruit', but don't mix the two. This would make for easier digestion without Gas......WY

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 06, 2012 04:28AM

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:

> Yes, but only if they're properly prepared. Most
> Green Smoothies are really 'Fruit Smoothies' in
> disguise. My thinking now is make your smoothies
> either 'all Green' or 'all Fruit', but don't mix
> the two. This would make for easier digestion
> without Gas......WY

I read people say that leafy greens are compatible with fruits, or at least with some of the fruits - not sure if its true though. Some food-combining charts describe leafy greens/fruit combinations as "good", others as "fair" (but none say "poor" ). My smoothies are definitely geared towards fruity side, so far I haven't been able to force unadulterated green goodness in me... too strong!smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2012 04:30AM by chat.

Date: June 06, 2012 10:55AM

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:
> powerlifer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Green smoothies are amazing
>
> Yes, but only if they're properly prepared. Most
> Green Smoothies are really 'Fruit Smoothies' in
> disguise. My thinking now is make your smoothies
> either 'all Green' or 'all Fruit', but don't mix
> the two. This would make for easier digestion
> without Gas......WY

I use fruit as a base for my green smoothies but by no means are they just fruit smoothies in disguise as around 50% or more of the smoothie is green vegetable based. I have tried pure green smoothies and they are not very appetizing. I have never had any problems mixing greens with fruit in regards to digestion but then again i am fine with any food combination these days.

Juicing Recipes

Date: June 06, 2012 11:04AM

chat Wrote:
> ........ so far I haven't been able to force unadulterated green goodness in me... too strong!smiling smiley

An 'all Green' smoothie need not be too strong. But I like a little 'bite' in mine. The ideal Green Smoothie for me is....
1/2 Cup sprouted Wheat Berries
1-Bag of mixed Greens
10 Chlorella tablets
2 Carrots
1 rib of Celery
2 Tbsp. of Flaxseeds....
add Water to make 24-ounces....
blend at High Speed until smooth......WY
P.S. Be creative with variations.

Date: June 06, 2012 11:34AM

All green juices are lovely too, sweeten it down with some cucumber and/or celery and its good to go smiling smiley.

Juicing Recipes

Date: June 30, 2012 03:20PM

wow...l run out of time editing my post. Here is the last paragraph:

Note: when l do blend sprouts, l usually eat only one sprout, but occasionally l will be slack and blend two sprouts at a time, but ALWAYS perfectly combined. Animals in nature only eat one food at a time, so why should we be any different??? We humans think we are king of the jungle and can eat anything in any combinations, but we are still flash and blood biological beings that need a simple diet like the plant eating animals do.

Seem to be favouring birdseed sprout smoothies and lentil sprout smoothies in the last 6 months. lt makes a great comfort food substitue for mornings instead of eating fruit. l'm so glad to be ditching fruit from my morning diet, and when it comes to vegetables...don't even go there!

And l will say once again: best not to baby the taste buds by adding honey and fruit and all that stuff. Just go green and learn to like it. lt is amazing how quickly taste buds can change. To adjust to greens l find it best to eat and alfalfa sprouts and weeds; after a month the taste buds have changed massively and drinking any spinach/brocolli juice will taste weak as water (no strong green taste in the vegies what-so-ever, that's why l call vegies `party foods'...they are weak intermediate foods to break the strong taste of sprout smothies until the new comer adjusts. Evenstill...best to avoid clowning around with party foods and just dive straight into the true power foods).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 03:26PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: club ()
Date: October 11, 2012 09:58AM

hi.....
i m club i m new hear.nice to meet u.
Thanks
dainik bhasker

Posted by: club ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:01AM

hi...
Seem to be favouring birdseed sprout smoothies and lentil sprout smoothies in the last 6 months. lt makes a great comfort food substitue for mornings instead of eating fruit. l'm so glad to be ditching fruit from my morning diet, and when it comes to vegetables...don't even go there!
Thanks
[url=''http://www.deshmeaaj.com/'']dainik bhasker[/url]

[url=''http://www.deshmeaaj.com/'']dainik bhasker[/url]

Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: October 14, 2012 03:41AM

Everyone here has totally inspired me to get a blender..does it matter which one? Should I order off amazon or can i buy a good blender at Target?

Money is tight, so any thoughts would be appreciated.
I am excited to start this-

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 16, 2012 12:10AM

I would *maybe* see what Target has, and if you have an iphone or mobile device with internet, check out online reviews at the store or write them down and go home and check. You really don't want a bad one. :/

Posted by: Meadow ()
Date: January 20, 2013 04:47AM

So what do you have for lunch? I want to loose weight.

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: January 28, 2013 12:39AM

Meadow: more salads/smoothies, less nuts and seeds.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables