Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Freezing fruit veggie smoothie
Posted by: pfrederi ()
Date: June 01, 2012 10:12PM

Hello

Im new to this forum and juicing\blending. I have a question that I cannot get a clear answer on. usually when I make smoothies I end up with a lot more than I can consume in one sitting (even when I use small amounts there is usually still some left over). I use fresh fruits and veggies and once in awhile frozen fruit. If I freeze the remainder immediately how long can it last? how much potency (as far as vitamins and nutrients)is in it if i thaw in refrigerator say a few days later or will i just basically be drinking mush? I know I can reblend the frozen smoothie but need to know in comparison to the original mix how much nutrient is retained. Also if I thawed in refrigerator and took some out and refroze the rest is that feasable?

Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Freezing fruit veggie smoothie
Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 01, 2012 10:40PM

To be honest I wouldn't, perhaps not all but some goodies will be lost that way! I also do smothies just for myself, but don't have any leftovers - I mean if you made too much today, just use smaller proportions tomorrow and the problem should be no more?

Posted by: pfrederi ()
Date: June 08, 2012 01:02PM

Thx for your reply. I thought thios post would have more of an aswer to my other questions as well.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: June 11, 2012 09:51PM

Dont freeze only fresh! dont be a baby and not finish your juices!

Posted by: SkyFeather ~ ()
Date: July 11, 2012 07:20AM

I am also new to smoothies and I also store in the fridge for a couple of days if the quantity is too much.
But..uhmm.. now that I am thinking of it.. it's the same thing like we store our veggies, greens and fruits in the fridge until we consume them, right?..

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 11, 2012 09:42AM

Nope it's not the same thing. When you blend the fruits and greens they immediately start oxidising, in the process of blending they become saturated with air as they no longer have the skin to protect them from it.

I would not store a smoothie even for a day, the most I do is make one in the morning and bottle it until I get to work, then I drink it at work as part of my breakfast (I have to do this on days I cycle to work, so I avoid eating before the workout and eat once I've arrived and had a shower).

It takes 15 min top to make a smoothie, including rinsing the blender afterwards. Why not make fresh one every morning? If you are worried you are making too much just use less ingredients!

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2012 09:43AM by chat.

Posted by: SkyFeather ~ ()
Date: July 11, 2012 02:12PM

Yes 'chat' I agree about the oxidation thing. Well, I have to use fewer at a time then. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables