Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Buy a Vitamix Turboblend VS or Pro 500?
Posted by: Cares ()
Date: July 24, 2012 04:20PM

I'm looking to make this purchase as a gift to my wife. I'm looking at roughly $440 for a new Turboblend VS or $600 for the Pro 500. My question is, what are the differences between the 2 besides the presets found on the Pro Series? From my research, both blenders are identical beyond the presets.

Is it worth the $160 premium for the presets? I've been getting mixed reviews whether or not the presets actually are worth it. Some say it is great for soups while others say it doesn't warm it up enough and you need to put it on the stove anyways. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

On a side note, if you do recommend just getting the Turboblend VS, what are your thoughts on getting a reconditioned 5200 for $330? Clearly quite the savings but you lose 2 years of warranty and of course it's used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2012 04:24PM by Cares.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buy a Vitamix Turboblend VS or Pro 500?
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 24, 2012 05:22PM

Cares,

I own both a Vitamix Pro 500 and a Blendtec HP3A with a 72 ounce wildside carafe. I paid 550 rather than 600 for the Pro 500. And at that price point, the automatic presets are worth it for me because it saves me time in the kitchen. That said, at $150 difference, it probably wouldn't be for me. I'd say go 5200 if the carafe is BPA free and it's a VS (7 year warranty rather than 5), go for the Turboblend VS.

On the reconditioned one, it's a value but not for me. I want a new machine, not a hand me down. but that's just me.

Paul

Date: July 24, 2012 06:00PM

Oh so the local Costco has a Vitamix 6300 for $499. Looks basically identical to the Pro 500. 5200 for $399.

Date: July 24, 2012 06:49PM

hmmm... some good value there. I'm assuming they are rebadging the Pro 500 to make way for the new 750/300 design carafes.

Paul

750 is way too expensive for me.

Date: July 24, 2012 09:24PM

I just went to Costco to pick up the 6300 @ $540 after taxes. The lady doing the demo said it's basically a rebranded Pro 500. I think it's a good price. You think paying an additional $99 is worth it for the dry blade container?

Date: July 24, 2012 10:05PM

I don't know. The blades on the dry blade container are different from the regular "wet" container. More like a grinding mill. Do you think you will be milling much flour? If not, pass.

Cares, you will enjoy the 3 presets. Wouldn't have been worth 140 but at your price, it's a steal. enjoy.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2012 10:06PM by pborst.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables