Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

juicing frustration
Posted by: ab5 ()
Date: August 14, 2012 07:57PM

So, I started juicing about 4-5 weeks ago. It was modified in that I ate dinner normally with a fair amount of protein. I stuck to it because I felt great! I had energy for the first 4 weeks. Then one night I woke up at midnight and thought I was going to die. My heart was racing, I could barely keep from passing out, and could hardly walk. I know many of you will say it was detoxing, but I called 911 because I was scared. They found that my potassium was dangerously low at 2.5. I'm a nurse and believe me this is one of the lowest potassium's I've seen. My sodium was also 127, again dangerously low. The only thing I can think of is that I had diarrhea that day from some bad food I had eaten. I kept drinking water, juice, and had a normal dinner that night. But I obviously didn't eat enough salt to replace what was being excreted, same with potassium. Now I have to go see a cardiologist too. I took it easy for a few days, mostly because I still felt awful. Then I made another mistake, I kept juicing, I'll be honest I may have been addicted to it. It's only been about 1.5 weeks since that and I just don't feel as good as before and I am calling it quits, I'm dizzy and weak. I obviously made alot of mistakes, but I feel until this happened I did feel great. I juiced lots of greens, small amounts of beets, carrots, tomatoes, very rounded. I guess I'm posting this because I didn't listen to my body when this first happened, and the people who say heart palpitations and dizzyness and weakness are normal, it isn't. Your electrolytes are screwed up. Since restarting I've been drinking a glass of full sodium broth with my juices and am taking potassium pills along with making sure my juices have potassium, and they always have. It helps, but I realized I need to stop for health reasons, and I think I over did it. I lost 10 lbs in this time period. Does anyone know how long till the dizziness and lightheadedness goes away? I'm still trying to eat lots of salt and potassium, and my levels are normal with that. Also with my labs my protein was normal also.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: juicing frustration
Posted by: chat ()
Date: August 14, 2012 10:57PM

It's strange about potassium, I find it so easy to satisfy I even worry about overdoing it (lots of watermelons as its summer now, then your ordinary bananas, and coconut water, in addition to veggie sources)

IMO when we start a new diet it is important to keep check on those things which are essential for your body - which means writing it down whatever you eat and drink and see how it translates in terms of nutrients. Listening to your body can only get you so far, some nutrients are such that when you experience the deficiency you have already seriously harmed your system.

Cronometer is popular for a reason!smiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2012 10:59PM by chat.

Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: January 22, 2013 09:51PM

I'm still learning, but curious what you were juicing as carrot juice is supposed to be pretty high in potassium.

Also, are you on any prescription meds? If so, that may play a part.

Here's an interesting article that I just found that I guess I needed to know about too:

[www.vanderbilt.edu]

Glad, now, that I switched to Sea Salt.

Mindy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 09:57PM by mindy66.

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: January 28, 2013 12:47AM

The slower you transition, the more effective your end result usually is and the fewer symptoms you experience from the change.

Posted by: RaysofLight ()
Date: January 29, 2013 01:36AM

Yikes, I wonder what you were juicing-the combinations. If done properly that shouldn't happen with relatively healthy people, detoxing is one thing, but this seems very unusual. What did you health care provider think?

We have Juicing Programs once a month and teach the 7 things to know and the proper way to combine so all nutritional needs are met. Juicing (Properly) should balance, alkalize, heal, rebuild, reset, repair, nourish and energize!

It's not too late to join us, we start our NuDe Reset Revolution Guided Juicing Journey in 3 Days (Jan. 31)...this is when we officially begin the elimination phase! (NuDe = NUtrient DEnse)

Some of our last Juices Feast results: "19 pounds lost", "16 pounds lost", "14 pounds lost","12 pounds lost", "Healthy Normal Blood Pressure"-High Blood Pressure Gone, "Achy Feeling in Body Went Away", "Clearer Thoughts", "Increased Energy", "Better Focus", "Best Sleep Ever", "Increased Positiveness", "Clearer Skin", "Glowing",-So Many People were told they looked younger and great! What a HUGE accomplishment in just 10 Days! smiling smiley

JOIN US and Get Your Healthy Sexy Shining:
Thursday Jan 31, 2013 we start the elimination phase.
Thursday Feb 7, 2013 we begin our NuDe Juice Feast!
We allow one week transition for the best success possible prior to our juice feast! Learn more at the following links and Sign Up! See Paypal tab upper right of page.
[www.livingfoodvillage.com] (Beginner/Intermediate)
[www.livingfoodvillage.com]-

Here's to you health,
Kelly

Balancing Mind, Body and Spirit with Love, Light and Health,
Kelly Vaccarelli
www.LivingFoodVillage.com
www.facebook.com/livingrawfoodvillage

Posted by: dschare ()
Date: February 01, 2013 04:36AM

wondering if maybe you should try blending instead of juicing....

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: February 28, 2013 03:07AM

My health picked up markedly when I started probiotic cabbage cider for use in green smoothies.You could use the fiber from your juicing mix it with water and ferment it with probiotics.

CABBAGE CIDER
Cabbage cider made with cruciferous vegetables literally stops and reverses aging.
Cruciferous vegetables include broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collard, cress, horseradish, kale, kohlrabi, mustard greens, radish, rutabagas, turnip and watercress. If you have any cabbage family vegetables, a blender and probiotics, you can make cabbage cider...which I find to be the number one regenerator of the liver. Cabbage cider is such a good methylator that I swear it must have a large glutathione component, as well as B vitamins from the bacteria. Cabbage cider and garlic mustard are two of the most significant allies of sovereignty in enabling the rapid epigenetic changes necessary to give up the hypnotic attunement to power pyramid nonsense.
Fermenting cabbage with probiotics produces a highly restorative food that can be used raw in salads, smoothies, salad dressings, dips, guacamole, raw soups etc... The benefits include increased energy and aliveness, faster clearer cognition, improved strength, rapid healing speed, more youthful hydrated luminous skin, the spine has more inherent strength and length, increased muscle tone, reflex and reaction speed faster, and less pain. Foremost in the effects is the regeneration of the liver. A phytonutrient in the Cruciferous vegetables contain named glucosinolate significantly enhances your liver detoxification and control control glutathione S-transferase (GST): an inducer of phase II enzymes important in the control of cancer. According to one study eating these foods every day will halve your risk of getting cancer.
The extra cellular hydration and cellular energy means that not only do we have more energy for life, but the body is weighted down less by gravity due to the extra energy/light/hydration of the cells. Indeed cabbage cider may be the elixir of youth, for that and other probiotic ferments start the anabolic turn around through detoxification, repair and rebuilding. If you put the dregs of the probiotic cabbage cider on the soil of a house plant...you will see how it rapidly increases growth and vitality. This cider/coleslaw version of fermented cabbage is much faster and easier than Sauerkraut or Kim Chi and it avoids the nasty addition of salt.
To optimize your body chemistry you have to normalize your intestinal bacteria, for they provide the chemicals for anti-anxiety, pain relief, antiinflammation and allow detoxification, besides providing nutrition for growth of the bodymind. Juiced cabbage is one of the fastest pain relief methods, and then there is the probiotic cabbage cider and coleslaw which rapidly youthenize the body, reduce stress and inflammation and return our metabolism to an anabolic or growth state. Besides bacterial intelligence and silicon for collagen strength, GI lining reconstruction also requires glutamine, an amino acid that has anti-inflammatory properties. Cabbage contains significant amounts of glutamine and is an excellent source of vitamin C also needed for collagen.
When eating a high enzyme diet soaking and sprouting seeds removes the enzyme inhibiting antinutrients. Once fermented cabbage is mixed into a salad the rest of the vegetables and sprouts digest very easy. If you need more digestive fire in the beginning transition stages of going raw, you can sprinkle papain powder on your salad.
You get a permanent bliss buzz in the gut courtesy of bacterial intelligence, the GI tract reconstructs and there is a rebooting of the enteric brain and GI nerves. There is a significant joy vibration in guts from consuming the orange juice-cabbage cider/coleslaw combo. The intestinal tract literally en-joys it, making one aware that the biochemistry of joy starts with the health and well-being of the microbes in the soil and gut. Cup half full (optimism) and the elevation of hope and potential may actually be gifted to us by the happiness of our bacteria, through the increase in energy and bacterial intelligence chemicals. Harnessing healthy bacterial intelligence makes cabbage cider the elixir of youth. It provides the "free-energy" of predigestion and the onslaught of healthy bacteria to the GI tract overpowers any dysbiotic unhealthy microbial conditions and subsequently eliminates inflammation. Since the majority of free radical activity occurs in the GUT, this anti-inflammatory property reduces the wasteful overwork the body must undergo in a system that is already "run down."

We are talking reconstructive surgery using bacterial intelligence...the older, sicker or slower you get, the more you need to super repopulate until your GI tract and immune system has resurrected. Eating a raw probiotic food diet for an extended period incorporating such foods as the cabbage cider/coleslaw mix will eliminate yeast and fungi overgrowth, even when one still consumes 4-5 pieces of fruit a day and drinks coffee. While providing a onslaught of good bacteria and fermented (predigested) foods, the secret is to avoid all dead, cooked and processed foods, thereby avoiding giving the immune system extra work to do, inflammation is reduced and the GI lining can heal itself. Even tenacious toenail fungi will be eliminated in 1-2 months on this regime, and this points to the validity of using the raw probiotic food diet for diabetic conditions.

CIDER RECIPE: Blend half a cabbage in a blender which is 2/3 full of spring water, adding 2 capsules of probiotics. Probiotics that work good in making the cider include: Swanson Vitamin's "Dr. Stephen Langer's Ultimate 15 Strain Probiotic" and "Swanson Ultra Soil-Based Organisms," plus Dr. Mercola's "Complete Probiotics." Put it in one or two large jars with lids on and ferment in the dark for 24 hours...sieve the solids out of the mix and chill in the fridge for a coleslaw or salad. Or grind fine enough (as in a nutribullet) so you simply use the solids and liquids combined in your smoothies. You will have to watch the speed of ferment according on your local temperature, and put it in the fridge. In summer and in the tropics make it in a 24 hr cycle, while in winter this can be extended to 48 hours before storing it in the fridge.

Posted by: juicemaker ()
Date: March 05, 2013 07:52PM

I have been juicing and fasting for over 21 years,if i need sodium i use celery,
it is in every juice i drink.I hope you find your answer. The JuiceMaker

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: March 06, 2013 02:41AM

juicemaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
.....if i need sodium i use celery, it is in every juice i drink.

Well, that gives me part of the answer to your other post.
Would you mind sharing with us the Brand, and Model, of juicer you use?......WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables