Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What juicer to buy?
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 24, 2006 12:44AM

I have an Omega single-auger juicer, which is v. good for leafy greens, wheat grass, etc., as I am sure you all know. But it is too slow and cumbersome and inefficient for carrots and beets, which juices I love.

I am not sure I want a Champion, even tho it was reviewed well for years by virtually everyone who has one. (Too big and heavy.) Nor do I want a $69.95 el-cheapo that is going to last for 6 months. Can anyone recommend something inbetween that is excellent for hard root vegetables? Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What juicer to buy?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 24, 2006 02:30AM

I'm an avid juicer of carrots and have tried just about every juicer there is. I know the centrifugal, pulp ejection juicers have gotten some bad press here but the juicer I like best for carrots is the Omega 4000. I probably give up something in nutrition, over the twin-gears, but the ease of juicing makes up for it. I love the way the motor 'purrs' while making short work of a big bowl of freshly scrubbed carrots. Cleanup is a bit of a chore but the proper mind-set takes care of that......WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2006 02:43AM by Wheatgrass Yogi.

Date: October 24, 2006 06:35AM

Thanx v. much for your recommendation, Yogi. I see that there is also an Omega called the 9000, but I can't find any reviews of it. Maybe it's too new?

Date: October 24, 2006 11:47AM

Horsea......You can read a few reviews of the Omega 9000 at
[www.discountjuicers.com]
.....The 9000 will produce better quality juice than the 4000 but it is not a continuous juicer. The filter basket gets filled with pulp and has to be cleaned. The 9000 is a beautiful machine with only stainless steel coming in contact with the juice. The 4000 has a plastic top that stains badly. If you're only interested in juicing a glass or two at a time, the 9000 may be best for you. I like to juice a quart, or more, of carrot juice at a time. That's the reason I like my 4000.....WY

Date: October 24, 2006 05:19PM

Many thanks, Yogi. I read the little reviews that you referred to. One person said it was a pain to clean, and someone else said cleaning was a snap! I guess it's all relative, whatever you are accustomed to.

Sometimes I wish there was one juicer and that's all, so we didn't have to knock ourselves out weighing the pros and cons. I think that I would like to make more than 2 cups of carrot/beet juice in one go. So may be the 9000 is not the one for me. Are you familiar with the Acme or the Breville (I know there's several models). One of the Breville goes about 15,000 rpm and that does not appeal to me at all. Just too fast.

Date: October 25, 2006 06:03PM

The Acme is very similar in looks to the Omega. I have never owned one. It's been over 20 years since I've owned the Omega 9000. Believe me, cleanup is not a 'snap'. The pulp that is caught in the basket is a real 'mess' to clean.
I've recently owned the Breville Juice Fountain Elite. It's a beautiful machine of brushed stainless steel. The pulp comes out very dry....quite a bit drier than with my Omega 4000. I gave up on the Breville because the cutter plate is too small for the machine. It makes the carrots difficut to 'feed' or push through. The Omega 4000 has a much better 'feel'......WY

Date: October 25, 2006 08:02PM

Many thanks, again, Yogi. I will take your word for it now. I can't quite understand why Omega would come out with a relatively expensive juicer (9000) in this day & age that is not continuous-clean (pulp ejection). That is like going back to the horse & buggy, isn't it.

We are lucky to have you here to assist us.

Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: October 28, 2006 12:02AM

i have the brevill juice fountain elite and think it is amazing....quick, huge chute...don't need to cut down veggies to fit in chute...great juice, easy clean up.....by far the best juicer for me...use it all the time....

got it for $240 with my 20% discount coupon at Bed bath beyond...

Posted by: admin ()
Date: November 04, 2006 09:51PM

I would reccomend the lequip mini 110.5, its only $99.99 and works well and is an ejection juicer like the omega 4000. At home, I use the omega 8005(for leafy greens) and the lequip mini 110.5 for carrots, and the harder veggies.

Date: November 06, 2006 04:28AM

Thanks for further info!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables