Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

for benefit of newbies and anyone else
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: October 30, 2006 04:43PM

for the benefit of any newbies and anyone else....................

the value received with a green star purchase exceeds the price paid. not two spaces in your kitchen for different types of juicers but one space for all. when you get a greenstar machine. it grinds stuff up really nicely also...beets are awesome when combined with other things. a bit strong by themselves. beets can also be put throught he grind and make for interesting salads adding cabbage and sweet carrots . raw honey and (some jalapeno and ginger if you like) a little bit of raw honey to accentuate the sweetness. .........adding seed milk cheeses and other ferments create an awesome delicay with this machine.

no wonder raw food chefs from around the world recognize this machine for what it is,....as soon as they try it.-----

when it comes to wheatgrass...voracious is the only word i can think of for describing its appetite for wheat grass. squeezes the pulp bonedry ....almost in an instant.!!

the clean up withe greenstar is easier than any juicer i have ever cleaned.

if you do not have a hose sprayer connection on your sink i recommend you to get one. that way cleaning your green star will be evan easier than easy. here is how....

when you are done juicing move your machine over to the edge of the sink with the legs all the way up.

turn machine on and squirt down the feeding tube, (reverse gear direction with same switch)

dismantle and brush or RINSE each part of the machine until the motor housing is the last piece....squirt with the hose and wipe clean.....the whole thing should take no more than 4 minutes to complete.

the hose attachment for your sink will really make your clean up easy!

my point is to help sort out alot of the information here.....if you want to approach juicing as a professional , you need to be able to juice a wide variety of things. green star is the only one that gives you the most versatility.

other machines mentioned here are good and will get some sort of a job done for you...but if you wanna go first class right from the getgo and have no later regrets...greenstar is the one!

juicin' john

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: for benefit of newbies and anyone else
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 30, 2006 06:13PM

The issue for me is - would I have to chop or slice hard vegetables like carrots and beets into lots of small or narrow, spear-like pieces in order to get them to engage with the augers? With my Omega single-auger machine, I spent much time with a knife preparing the vegetables. With a Champion-type machine, or the larger spinning-basket types, you can drop in whole carrots and smaller beets and apples. What is the point of spending so much time just preparing your produce to get into the machine in the first place? May as well go to the juice bar and let them use their industrial juicers to get your one glass of juice.

Yes, I know that both the Greenstar and the Omegas, as well as all auger-type juicers, are terrific for wheatgrass and leafy greens.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: October 30, 2006 08:18PM

yes...each juicer requires a certain prep routine. anyone who juices must decide where their comfort zone is. try to decide what size........ for all the items you juice. never push too hard or make any machine "bog down" under too heavy a load.

on a twin gear .........leafy greens and wheatgrass should be gently tamped down with the wooden plunger. dont be in too much of a hurry and per chance jam up the chute. this mistake causes you also to have to push too hard. wheat- grass gets sucked into the machine all by itself without you having to do anything.

go gentlly,smoothly, and at a moderate pace. you should never have to work too hard at pushing stuff through your twin gear machine. the juice really does taste better from a twin gear. i mean other peopler have told me this without my asking!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 31, 2006 02:51AM

It's music to my ears to read the posts here about juicing and juicers. Yes, we'll disagree about which juicer(s) to use, but the bottom line is to reap the benefits of juicing no matter what juicer we prefer. I've tried many juicers over the years, including the Norwalk Press, the Nutrifaster and Ruby Commercial, 3 twin-gears, 2 Champion juicers, 5 or 6 single-auger models, and as many centrifugal juicers. I've finally settled on 3 juicers and 1 blender that I enjoy using. If a new juicer 'hit' the market, I'd probably try it if I thought it would be an improvement over any one that I'm now using. Juicing is what I do, so that's one of the ways I spend my money.
I actually believe that if you include the King and Queen (Wheatgrass and Carrot) of juices, it is possible to survive in the Highest Degree of Health on a Liquid Diet. I have tested this on my own body for as long as 14 days with good results........WY

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 31, 2006 07:08AM

Yogi, is the Norwalk one of those that you kept and are now using? Just curious. I can't believe all the juicers you have owned!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 04, 2006 09:05PM

On 'paper' the Norwalk Hydraulic Press Juicer is the best juicer made because of (as their website boasts) "Better tasting juice with no oxidation!". I did a lot of research before ordering one. I found the Norwalk very difficult to use and clean. I never could get the 'hang' of using the grinder, or trituator, as they call it. I always ended up with carrot pieces all over the place. Plus, the juice had a strange taste because of the plastic bag, or cloth, that has to be used to press out the juice. I had many talks with the President of the company but could never solve the 'plastic taste'. He said they used to use cotton (Hemp, I believe) bags and cloths but the fruit acid dissolved them and they had to go with a food grade plastic.
I like my little Omega 4000 much better even though there is some oxidation and nutrient loss.......WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables