Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Green Star Juicer - Secrets
Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: November 10, 2006 02:47PM

Those of you who have a green star juicer and enjoy using it and use it daily ... pls let me know your secret.

I love the juice that I get from mine and I appreciate the quality of the juice. And I want to really enjoy it. However, I totally hate the dismantling and cleaning of it. I must be missing something that would make it far easier. It seems to take too long.

In the UK we generally do not have the shower head appliance at the sink or fitted sink garbage disposal unit. So it is just a running tap. I find that there is so much pulp etc in the juicer when I wash all the bits that the sink blocks up. This creates a right mess whilst I wait for the water to go down. I put what pulp I can directly in the rubbish bin, but there is still a lot. So now instead, I put the juicer bits in a washing up bowl on the side which takes most of the bits of pulp etc and then I can rinse them under the tap to get the remainder off. Then I pour the contents of the washing up bowl through a large sieve, in order to not block up the sink drain. Of course then I have to try and get all the bits off the sieve and the washing up bowl gets all messed up too. The wet fibre etc seems to just stick to it.

Anyway, I'm sure there just has to be a much easier way than this. Especially if you wish to use it daily (and throughout the day). Are you just not washing your Green Star juicer? If so how do you stop it getting blocked up inside and what are you doing about bacteria growing in the debris? I guess you could run a garlic clove or lemon through it to help with this.

There has to be some secret here, because there seems to be people who love using their Green Star juicer and those that find it a nightmare to clean. So what is the secret? Please share.

Thanks,
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green Star Juicer - Secrets
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 12, 2006 07:00AM

i enjoy cleaning my machine
yep
no joke
i enjoy dismantling the fine porcelain parts
lovingly i place the discombobulated ensemble
'neath the rivulet that has no showerhead attached
with great joy i brush the brusher in between the nooks and cranny
singing and dancing to my favorite song
with tender movements, i use my pink daffodil kitchen towel to dry it up
one two three four ... seven.. i count all the parts i need to attach back
and feel like a rich woman for having so many parts

i even count all the fluffy iridescent bubbles
that float out of the acqueduct tunnel that houses the double auger blades
it is sooo FASCINATING!

i feel like such a princess peasant

( cough, chortle, snortle...)

i love to clean clean clean...

(hiccup)

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 14, 2006 01:44AM

That's good La_V. Your mind works just like mine. I have 7 parts to clean with my Omega 4000 and they're all not that easy. But I look to cleanup with pleasure because I enjoy my carrot juice every morning. It's almost like a Japanese Tea Ceremony. They can make it a religious experience. We can do the same thing with preparing Carrot Juice (or whatever) and cleaning up......WY

Date: November 14, 2006 02:56PM

La_veronique and Wheatgrass Yogi,
I love the fact that it is a bliss filled moving meditation for you. I feel that way when I choose and buy my lovely organic fruit and veg, and when I am in nature and many other things ... somehow I haven't yet found the bliss in washing up the juicer. I'm not sure why, so I surrender it up to the universe.

Please, just out of curiosity, would you just time how long it takes you to wash up your Green Star ... so from when you start to dismantle it to when the 7th piece is either put on the draining board to drain or dried up with tea towel? What sort of time are we actually talking about here for the dismantling and washing up of the juicer 1 hour ... 45 mins ??? (I realise that time has no impact on a bliss filled moving meditation. So although it will not bother you how long it takes ... please share anyway).

I know time is an illusion and all that ... but just humour me please and let me know.

(Also all those of you with other makes of juicers ... it would be nice to have this kind of info from you. Please also mention which juicer it is).
Thanking you all,
John

Date: November 14, 2006 10:40PM

I probably spend longer than anyone when it comes to juicing. Every morning (damn near anyway) I have wheatgrass juice followed by carrot juice. I don't really rush, but from start to finish, leaving a clean kitchen, and composting the pulp, takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours........WY

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: November 15, 2006 01:32PM

if you are very meticulous, it may take an extraordinary leghth of time to clean your machine. here is how i do it in under 4 minutes.

move machine to edge of sink so the front hangs over the edge a little bit.

next, using the spray hose attachment on your sink, squirt water down the feeding chute and turn machine on. this loosens up the remains inside the juicer. use a few glasses of water if you dont have a spray hose on sink.

turn machine off and take machine apart one piece at a time an brush or rinse under running water. most piece only require a rinse or brief brushing. the brushing piece for me are the gears and screen. brush inside of screen first and then do the outside of screen. this is the most time consuming part and usually take about 1 or 2 minutes.

after scrubbing each part, set it on a towel or dish rack to drain and dry.

the last part is the juicer body itself. squirt directly onto the drive gear and surrounding area around where the gears slot. the rubber seals prevent water from getting inside the machine. wipe dry after juicer motor housing is cleaned.

it take me about 4 minutes with this method.

enjoy!

jj

Date: November 17, 2006 06:35PM

Hi juicin' john
Many thanks for the info (and Wheatgrass Yogi).

Does your sink not block up then ... or do you have some kind of garbage disposal unit in the sink?

Thanks
John

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: November 17, 2006 09:20PM

the small amount of pulp left inside the machine after jicing is usually not much and my drain takes it down. i help it out by using my fingers to push iit down if it tends to clog up....usually thois is not a problem. maybe your sink drain needs a cleaning.

jj

Date: November 18, 2006 01:36AM

I have screens in my sink designed to prevent larger pieces of pulp from going down the drain. They're made of stainless steel. Got 'em at Wal-Mart. They do a good job; no more 'plunging' the sink......WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 22, 2006 09:57PM

Hi vegan john,

you asked for information on other juicers.I have the green power hippocrates juicer. It`s a great juicer, a joy to use and easy to clean. Dismantling, cleaning, drying and re-assembly ready for next time takes about 10mins tops. The vast majority of the pulp is ejected at the front of the juicer as you juice, so there`s no prob with blocking the sink, and I usually juice apple, carrot and something green like spinach, mabye some celery too. This means I have two screens to clean and dry but it`s still no prob. As I said, about 10 mins tops.

GlenAffric

Date: December 23, 2006 04:19PM

I used to own a Samsom Ultra which is very similar to the Green Power Hippocrates. I found that the twin-gears were just too small to really enjoy the Juicing Experience. Better to own a Green Star with bigger gears......WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables