Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dry Vitamix carafe...
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 28, 2013 04:51PM

Does anyone own this? I am tired of having to trot out the food processor or coffee grinder everytime I want to break something dry down. The issue is that grating can't be done in the carafe so I wonder if it's limited?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dry Vitamix carafe...
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 08, 2014 01:04PM

I have the dry carafe. It totally blows. I just use it as a spare wet carafe otherwise I would have sent it back.

Posted by: verybea ()
Date: January 19, 2014 09:53PM

I have the dry carafe for the Vitamix and use it for everything dry from Coffee to wheat- tis is the purpose of the dry carafe isn't it?
I am not sure of the particulars as to what the carafes, both wet and dry are made of aside from being BPA free, but they are designed to be used and abused. I woundn't worry too much about the grating.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 22, 2014 02:48AM

verybea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have the dry carafe for the Vitamix and use it
> for everything dry from Coffee to wheat- tis is
> the purpose of the dry carafe isn't it?
> I am not sure of the particulars as to what the
> carafes, both wet and dry are made of aside from
> being BPA free, but they are designed to be used
> and abused. I woundn't worry too much about the
> grating.

I already had a coffee grinder and a grain grinder before I got the dry carafe which came with the package deal I got on my Vitamix. In my experiences the VitaMix works great when what it's grinding is submerged in liquid. When I used the dry carafe with dry ingredients it failed every time to work better than the other tools I mentioned.

For one thing it is very difficult, probably impossible, to get a nice even grind with without pulverizing the heck out of everything unless you have an upscale VitaMix model that has a pulse mode you can babysit it with through the process.

For another thing it turns itself into a dust bomb when you use it. It's quite a mess you have on your hands if you remove the lid too soon. The dust takes a long time to settle, too. This is just unacceptable, IMO. No other kitchen tools that were designed for dry grinding are so dysfunctional.

For another thing, after not too many times of using it to experimentally grind dry stuff, my dry carafe showed itself to have sandblasted it's interior smooth finish into a frosty etched version of itself very quickly. This is not surprising when you think that the dry material you wish to grind is being tossed about helter skelter tornado speeds in there.

And lastly, whatever the material the dry carafe is made of I do not want to eat sandblasted bits of it in with my ground food and that is what is going to happen if one uses this ill conceived poorly designed adaption of an otherwise great tool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables