Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

great book!
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: December 01, 2006 02:12PM

i would to share a really neat book i pulled off of my library shelf this morning. it is called, "The miracle of live juices and raw foods" by John H. Tobe. i suspect it is out of print. it was copyrighted in canda in 1977....possibly one could requeswt a copy through your local library's inter-library loan program. it is usually an easy thing to do. anyway this book really shows how timeless the idea of live eating for best health is!

bon jour

jj

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: great book!
Date: December 05, 2006 01:43PM

here is a quote from the book comparing juicers and blenders:

in the first place, the blended carrot isn't nearly as palatable as tasty sweet juice. infact it is somewhat hard to take and to most people palatablity is of vital importance........especially when dealing with children. children wqill take the juice readily and evan with joy and pleasure but you will find it extremely difficult to get them to take a cupful or bowlful of blended "juice".secondly, in order to make a blender function, you must add some water. thirdly, it takes longer to blend your fruit or vegetables than to juice them.
fourthly, the blended fruit or vegetable does not get to work in your body as quickly as juice.

hopefully this may help to dispell some of the confusion whichg has resulted from the vita mix being called a juicer. it is a great tool for blending but trust me "it aint no juicer".

from time to time i will add quotes from john h. tobe's book to this thread!

juicin' john

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: December 05, 2006 02:17PM

I've always preferred carrot juice over blended carrots, even though something could be said for the fiber that is lost in the juicing. I use the carrot pulp in my garden and my plants and trees grow like 'crazy'. A juicer just can't extract all the nutrition. A case could be made for blending because nothing is lost, except what is lost by oxidation.
Norman Walker drank a quart, or more, of carrot juice everyday......WY

Date: December 05, 2006 04:25PM

specifically,.........because of juicers we can focus our aquisition of nutritive substances......greater quantities of juiced produce can be digested is the least amount of time. it would be something like being put ina room and where a tube is spewing one, five ten, and twenty dollar bills. you are allowed to pick up any denomination you would like. which ones will you go for on a priority basis?

the one dollar bills are like the cellulose nutrition you would get from the pulp.

just my thoughts in it.

jj

Date: December 05, 2006 08:29PM

jj......I'd go for the ten dollar bills. I don't want anyone to say that the Wheatgrass Yogi is greedy.
I just juiced some citrus. Now to dispose of the rinds. I used to compost them but that got to be a big job. Does anyone have a solution?.......WY

Date: December 05, 2006 08:47PM

wgy

dehydrate and burn in fireplace for nice smell.

Date: December 06, 2006 07:52PM

jj......That was a good solution, but I don't have a fireplace. I'm going back to composting them even though it's a lot of work. I used to use the citrus rinds as part of the fertilizer for my wheatgrass, but it made it too acid and the blades weren't as green.......WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 17, 2007 02:26AM

Dear WY,

I grate the zest from citrus with a Microplane citrus zesting grater (great tool) for use in homemade salad dressings. The juice may end up in the salad dressing or my next juicing batch. And the pith (what's left) goes in with the juicing batch.

If you're inclined to compost the pulp, the work is done for you. I keep the pulp in with the juice since my energy is far more even that way. Drinking juice without the pulp created a "too-much, too-fast" buzz in me that wasn't always comfortable, even when there was no fruit (other than lemon or lime) in the juice and plenty of bitter greens.

Joyous juicing to you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables