Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Head on my green smoothies
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: December 01, 2006 11:01PM

I am new to blending, have been 80% raw for a about a month and climbing, but I find that my blended drinks are full of air bubbles. I use a a Vita-Mix which I love but wonder how long or at what speed I should be blending for optimum nutrition. Air is not good so can anyone tell me how long I should blend say a head of romaine, a banana and some celery? I put in a green pepper yesterday and the drink had a head on it! I use variable speed then switch it on high for 10 seconds or so then back to variable. Very foamy.
I want those phyto-nutrients but not all the air. Can I just blend till its basically liquid or am I making a classic Vita-Mix blender raw smoothie mistake?

Dulset

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Head on my green smoothies
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 01, 2006 11:13PM

Foam is generally created by proteins, I think all the foamy head means is that you've got a bunch of protein from your greens.

Saying that, I don't have vita-mix so there might be something I don't know which others can help explain.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: December 03, 2006 02:47PM

You may be adding too much water. I, too, have a Vita-Mix and sometimes make Green Smoothies, but mostly Fruit Smoothies. I have a friend who makes Blended Salads by 'loosely' blending the mixture for just a few seconds. It makes it all very chewable. I believe the smoothies are easier to digest, even though some oxidation takes place, and some nutrients are lost. Smoothies are good because we just don't chew our food well enough. Then there's always 'Fletcherism' where each bite of food is chewed 100 times per minute, but who can do that?......WY

Posted by: ReneeK ()
Date: December 05, 2006 07:02AM

I've always done Fletcherism, just never knew it had a name! LOL. Before I got married my mom counted how many times I chewed one bite of cereal. Let's just say, Fletcher would have been proud!

Sorry, that added absolutely nothing to the conversation. :-)

Renee

Date: December 05, 2006 01:56PM

Good, Renee, we should all follow your example.
'Fletcherism' was coined after Horace Fletcher. He was referred to as "The Great Masticator". Apparently he wasn't that health-minded as he only lived 70 years. He was overweight and couldn't get insurance, so he devised a way of eating that included all the pleasure but not the bulk. He would chew each bite of food until it became liquid, then spit out the pulp (much like juicing). He became somewhat of a celebrity before he passed away in 1919.......WY

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: December 07, 2006 04:46AM

One day while watching my thirteen year old son wolf down his food, barely chewing a thing, I chirped - "Ever heard of mastication?". At which point he spit everything all over the table, fell off his chair and laughed himself silly. Evidently, there is something hilareous about a mom saying a word that sounds so much like another hilareous word to a person of a certain age!

Nice to have an alternative name (Fletcherism!) - who knew?

Date: December 07, 2006 05:54AM

Cute story Sapphire. It sounds like you have a nice relationship with your son. I have a friend who 'wolfs' down her food too, much like your son. She's heard of Mastication (and the other word you referred to) but it doesn't help.
One of the 'famous' juicers recommends chewing your juice. I believe it is "Juiceman" Jay Kordich......WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables